Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looper pedals?

Post Thanks / Like

The Boss User Group has a small article called "The art of guitar looping", I thought someone might be interested in reading it.

http://www.bossus.com/bugonline/how_to.asp?art=rc-50
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the link ss....gonna read it after the kids get off to school!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on the gear page said that Boomerang will be coming out with a new looper in a coupla' months. He got that info via email from someone at boomerang. No info on their website yet.

Spudz: I would do a stand up act, but I'm afraid of all the nose chunks blowing by!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't keep up with the videos. Has this one been played? He starts at the beging and shows it all. Great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-V-Kd7o38

Also for you B string benders.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUAUL...elated&search=
    Last edited by Tim; October 12th, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wig out anytime I see videos of people stomping on effects pedals with their naked toes......*shudders* Put some shoes on for crying out loud people are looking at you!!!

Cool looping....can't wait to get one for meself.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I can't keep up with the videos. Has this one been played? He starts at the beging and shows it all. Great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ-V-Kd7o38

Also for you B string benders.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUAUL...elated&search=
    Tres cool! I love that B-bender!

I looks like a microphone would be a fun thing to have with a looper. You make do rythmic scatting like looper girl.

That bass sitting on some sort of stand so he just wanders over and play a riff is pretty wild too.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; October 12th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice to see. Oooo, a mixer AND a looper. I didn't think of that.

I'll bet Warren was somewhere in there doing the pancake thing, right?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

When (not if) I get a looper, I plan on doing the following for headphone practice.

Guitar > (any pedal I may have) > Tonelab > Looper > mixer > headphones.

I own the Tonelab & mixer already.

Is this possible. Do any loopers have headphones out negating the need for the mixer?

Do any loopers have balanced inputs which would acept the line out on the Tonelab, or would I need to use the amp out setting?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea is to be able to be able to use the mixer so that your inputs into the looper are better balanced. One of the problems with the looper is that it is very sensitive to input. By that I mean if you overdub a layer and it is too loud then you are hosed and have to undo it and redo it at a different level. It's real easy to NOT get the balance you intend.

With the mixer you can vary the other instruments like the guy in the video so that your percussion is at the right level compared to your melodic instruments and your synth string patch isn't burying the guitar.

Does that make any sense?

What I would do is: Guitar>effect pedals>tonelab>mixer>amph

Use this if you are going to add a bass or other sounds or instruments. Then plug those into other channels on the mixer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I think the idea is to be able to be able to use the mixer so that your inputs into the looper are better balanced. One of the problems with the looper is that it is very sensitive to input. By that I mean if you overdub a layer and it is too loud then you are hosed and have to undo it and redo it at a different level. It's real easy to NOT get the balance you intend.

With the mixer you can vary the other instruments like the guy in the video so that your percussion is at the right level compared to your melodic instruments and your synth string patch isn't burying the guitar.

Does that make any sense?

What I would do is: Guitar>effect pedals>tonelab>mixer>amph

Use this if you are going to add a bass or other sounds or instruments. Then plug those into other channels on the mixer.
    Cool. So for headphone practice just replace the amph with 'fones?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Cool. So for headphone practice just replace the amph with 'fones?
    In that case I would go: Guitar>effects>looper>Tonelab>phones

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help Spud!

I don't recall if this has been shown before, but here is a demo of the Boss RC-2.

http://www.gearwire.com/boss-rc2.html
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my RC-2 & tried it out. It took a little bit of time to figure it out & then it is easy to operate. For a beginner like me, having drum tracks to play with is extraordinarily helpful; it forces me to stay in time. The ability to quickly record & playback to hear all the mistakes I've made is a humbling but helpful learning experience. Add to that the capability of layering, so that I can play lead to my own rhythm track & you've got a nifty little practice tool.

I can tell that it'll be one of the best purchases that I've made.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have any loop quantize hints?

Do you start recording exactly on the first beat & end exactly on the first beat
    of measure following the phrase that you are recording?

---------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, I just put my bad monkey in front of the RC-2. Does anyone know why I had to crank the phrase volume on the RC-2 to get a decent level even when the Bad Monkey was off?
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 2nd, 2006 at 09:09 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    OK, I just put my bad monkey in front of the RC-2. Does anyone know why I had to crank the phrase volume on the RC-2 to get a decent level even when the Bad Monkey was off?

Gotta keep these discussions going!

Do you mean you have apparently low clean guitar sound (without using the Monkey pedal) when you record a phrase? I noticed that too at first but once I got a good balance between the clean guitar sound and the rhythm (drum) playback on the pedal then I just tweaked the level on the OD (your Bad Monkey) pedal when I kick that in until everything balances out. I'm sure by now you've straightened this out on your end.

I did use my MXR Micro Amp pedal though to boost the signal slightly when I played my Jazz Bass through the pedals and amp to overdub bass parts. The RC-20 limits the input of the bass guitar. I guess so that it doesn't overpower your amp. With my guitar levels set for clean and dirty...and the playback volumes set for balance it still wasn't enough signal for the bass. The Micro Amp pedal fixes that and brings the bass guitar level up enough to get a good clean recording without having to readjust all my settings on my pedals/amp just to record the bass guitar.

I sent you a PM about stepping on the pedal to record but I'll ask it again here. When I step on the pedal to record I'm getting a small bump in playback on the drum guide. Is that because I have to step on the pedal at the exact moment of the 1st downbeat of the measure? I may be stepping on it too early and it bumps. What do you think? Oh I also got the FS-5U pedal today too. I think I posted that on the "other" looper thread.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Turn down the rhythm knob on the RC2 > hit the pedal > record what you wish and try to keep the meter pretty steady > hit the pedal again to stop recording.

Now turn up your rhythm knob. You should have a quantized rhythm track behind what you just recorded. It does the math for you.

If you are trying to start a capture while the rhythm is playing you will often miss the beat by a micro second and that could be the 'bump' that you hear.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Boss rc-20xl on the way , I dunno why..but I do.. anyways..

Question: I can't find any docs online for this thing... and I was anxiously wondering.. there is a Mic Input, an Instrument Input and an auxilary input... can I actually use this as a mixer also? all going into the mix at one time? or is it button controlled as to which input your using? The reason.. I have two inputs now for mic and instrument and would be nice to just have the one.. just wondering if the mic by-passes all effects also?

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Justa
    Tou're going to love it. Don't worry.
    There are no effects in the unit. It is a capture device. What goes in is what comes out. When you get it hook stuff up to all the inputs and experiment then you'll know what they are about.
    Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Justa
    Tou're going to love it. Don't worry.
    There are no effects in the unit. It is a capture device. What goes in is what comes out. When you get it hook stuff up to all the inputs and experiment then you'll know what they are about.
    Congratulations.
    Ummm I knew it didn't have any effects... I was just wondering if they all came out together mic/guitar/aux which I found out they did.. I found a manual over at loopers delight.. so I can read a bit while I wait...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

man, that's a wicked gadget. Imagine what you can do with it.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast