Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshall JCM 900

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall JCM 900

I have a chance of picking up one of these, at a great price. I'm not really familiar with them, but I have really taking a liking to Marshall since owning the JVM 410 H. Do any of you use, or know about this amp?
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

I love these and the rest of jcm family( 900,800,600 in the mid 80,s was the amp to have) Jubilee models are worth having fo-sho no matter what

Saying that, if you have the 410 I dont think you will need it!!!

If you can get it in the $500-700(recent prices on ebay have dopped) range then grab it!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The JVM's got all your bases covered, Neal. Buy a cool guitar instead. How about a Reverend?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Muddy says.........you probably don't need it, BUT, if it's priced right and you want it, buy it.
    There's a reason for Marshall's popularity. They sound good. And if it isn't the sound you want you can sell it later.
    (it will also give you a backup amph for gigs if your 410 ever goes down/needs service).
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I have the JVM in a stationary type setting, and was looking to get another head to gig. I have heard that they are a great bluesy type amp.

Robert. I'm still goiing to get the top of the line guitar, for 2010
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

You mean you are getting a Suhr? That will be a good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal

Robert. I'm still goiing to get the top of the line guitar, for 2010
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert. It may very well be a shur. But it looks like I'm going to have to hit the road to look at them. No dealers here in South Carolina. I do love it here, but when I lived in New York (New Yawk) as Dr. Voodoo would say, all I had to do was to go to 48th St in Manhattan, and I guarentee that every guitar made on the planet, was on that street somewhere. There might be a dealer in Atlanta.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

"I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Just my own experience here, but I owned a JCM900 combo for a brief period:

The amp was brittle and tight sounding to me.......bordering on harsh when the amp was turned up.

Nothing it offered sounded like "traditional Marshall" to my ears.

I bought it to flip it..............and made a few bucks.

Just my two pesos.............................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

They have plenty of high end, no doubt about it. Let your ears be your guide.
    I'd play before buying.
    They sound good cranked to me, though. And I mean CRANKED!

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

These amp don't have the best reputation exactly... I would pass on this if I were you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you heard any of the Crankenhaus songs I've posted (myspace/crankenhaus), all the solo guitars were recorded with a 900 series 100W head/marshall cab.

They aren't hailed as best Marshall amps out there, and IMo they are more of the more 'metal' and driven sounding amps, but they do have the classic Marshall roar and are better than their rep for sound in my book.

Having owned them 2204, 2210 and played/heard a 900 a lot, I'd be hard pressed if I had to choose between them. A 2204 is best for rock sound but a one-trick pony and LOUD. A 800 is more versatile, but still effin' loud when it sounds good. A 900 gives the marshall roar at much lower volumes...at a cost of sounding more modern and saturated, though. Slightly more complex / prone to faults I hear too.

But yeah, I'd consider it well enough. What I dig of that era Marshalls is a 6100 series amp...those were actually close to JVM in versatility.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    These amp don't have the best reputation exactly... I would pass on this if I were you.
    Robert, is it due to reliability, build quality, the shrillness Plank spoke of, or something else? I've heard them locally used in bands, but hadn't heard complaints from the owners. Maybe they just didn't wanna mention it?
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard comments about reliability problems, and thin sound. Don't know how much truth there is to all this, but I wouldn't take a chance unless it's selling for dirt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Robert, is it due to reliability, build quality, the shrillness Plank spoke of, or something else? I've heard them locally used in bands, but hadn't heard complaints from the owners. Maybe they just didn't wanna mention it?
    I've never owned one, but I can remember a few techs on the various amp bbs sites discussing this amp.

It seems as though Marshall used smaller transformers in the JCM900 series especially compared to the beefy ones used in the JCM800 series. In fact a common mod is to replace the JCM900's output transformer with one spec'd for a JCM800.

Another complaint I've heard is that the JCM900 was designed to sound good at low volumes so it has tons of preamp gain. Supposedly, Marshall designed the amps so that they would sound good in the music store, but they don't sound as good when actually cranked up on a gig. It may be something as simple as dialing back the gain when played loud so that the output section does a lot of the work. Again, the smaller output transformer could come into play.

Regardless, it is a Marshall product, so the resale value will be high. If you like it and it sounds good, then it is good. But I would crank it up to gig levels for a test of how it sounds.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two of the heads for sale locally. The guy who is selling one of them even stated that the reason he was selling it was to buy an 800.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Geeeeeeeeaaaaah! The first thing up was a Dr. Z Maz!!!
    Whew, That is one righteous piece of equipment!!!
    Cool place mudcat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast