Thread: Friday - Stuff I forgot about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Friday - Stuff I forgot about.

Two songs came on the local radio this morning that I had forgotten about, and need to be dusted off for Friday.

First, Prove it All Night by Springsteen and the guys. I have been working hard (so glad I have work to do so), and this song just fits for all us folks working hard any way we can to soldier on these days. Also, this old clip gives you much more Bruce guitar work than you usually see or hear. A song that should not be forgotten on the dust heap of old rock and roll. The sound quality of this old vid is not the best, but listen beyond that for the performance. Brilliant! It is 1978, Bruce is rocking his Tele. Listen to the piano intro. Do you hear a bit of Year of the Cat in it? You don't hear much rock piano like that anymore.

On a completely different note, Lou Reed released this when I was in law school. Law school can be a surreal place. Lou's almost goofy songs he put out on this one just fit when I wanted to not be serious about law stuff. Again, should not be forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqKP...rom=PL&index=1

Anyone remember red joy sticks?

Ok, off to put the finishing touches on this briefing deadline I have been working on, get it filed, then forget about it for the weekend.

EDIT: as always, you good folks please add any you think fit whatever theme you see in these oldies!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; January 15th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Great Posts SVL. Great example of Roy Bittans piano work with the E Street band. The Lou Reed tune I was not familiar with, but love it. Has that wonderful Lou Reed dark humour quality.

Now get your nose out of that damn legal brief and go play that new Martini.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I don't remember red joys sticks.. were they for Atari or something?

I didn't really pay attention to Lou Reed much until the "Magic and Loss" record. That's a very good record..all the way through. But it's a little on the depressing side.

Thanks for posting the vids. It's always interesting to find out everyone's musical influences. I'm sure I've heard you mention Bruce before..