Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Pedal arrangement

Thread: Pedal arrangement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pedal arrangement

I know this has been covered already but I can't find what I am looking for in a search.
    I am rearranging my pedal board and wondered where you all put your overdrive pedal and tuner. Am I correct in putting the tuner first and overdrive last with other effects in between? Other effects include delay, chorus, phazer and maybe a reverb.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

compression>dirt>modulation>delay.
    I put my tuner last. You might want to experiment though because your tuner might have a good buffer that improves the sound of your signal chain depending on it's location.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you much!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    I know this has been covered already but I can't find what I am looking for in a search.
    I am rearranging my pedal board and wondered where you all put your overdrive pedal and tuner. Am I correct in putting the tuner first and overdrive last with other effects in between? Other effects include delay, chorus, phazer and maybe a reverb.

Thank you in advance.
    I find I have to put the Wah first, beause it just ruins the sound of any pedals before it. Also, I have noticed that my OD sound gets progressively worse the more pedals there are after it as well, especially any digital FX between the amp and OD make the OD sound ten times worse than when it gets to drive the amp input directly.

I would definitely put the tuner first, OD last, and all the FX boxes either in a bypass loop after those, so I could turn them off completely when I want a pure OD sound, or even better, the amp's FX loop.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, is "first" next to the amp....or next to the guitar?
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger
    Well, is "first" next to the amp....or next to the guitar?
    First is next to the guitar, I always presume.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do Wah > Tuner (don't put modulation of any kind before your tuner or it will turn it into a liar) > Noise Gate > Comp > OD/Distortion > Amp then in you're effects loop > Modulation > Delay > Reverb > Effects return.

If you don't have an effects loop, just run Mod > Delay > Reverb after the OD.

Sometimes I like a Wah post OD/Dist or a Modulation pre OD/Dist for texture.

Some people like a delay before the OD/Dist but I think 90% of the time it'll make everything sound cheap and 2 dimensional.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll kick in my 2 cents here. I put the wah after OD/Distortion. I personally think it kills the tone to place the wah before it. Delay always goes last after modulation effects. I don't personally use a tuner in my setup, but I also don't play live right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

With certain power supplies like the One Spot, the Planet Waves tuner makes a high-pitched hum unless it's the last pedal in the lineup. So that's where mine is.

Dirt before wah is intense and nasty (often in a good way!). Wah before dirt is more vocal and organic-sounding. For a while I was running fuzz > wah > OD to get the best of both worlds.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

My tuner is first in my chain.

I also always put my gain pedals before my wah pedal. Sounds fatter that way.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine goes into the NS-2 (noise suppressor, which I don't always use), then loops down to the dirt chain going from the Little Big Muff down stream through the DS-1, DVM Rabid Rodent, Bad Monkey to use in combo with the dirt upstream, then back to be sent from the NS-2 to the Chorus, Delay, pre-amp boost, tuner, then looper, then to the Amph.

So I follow basically Spud's theory regarding order. When I had a wah, it went ahead of the NS-2. Sometimes I put the pre-amp boost ahead of the dirt and send a hotter signal into the dirt chain, but I usually like getting the tone I want, then amplifying it a bit with the boost if needed.

Yes, I know I need to either build or get a new pedal board. I have outgrown the laptop case method.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    My tuner is first in my chain.

I also always put my gain pedals before my wah pedal. Sounds fatter that way.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I see you have the MXR Carbon copy delay in there. Awesome pedal.
    B.C. Rich Warlock Nj Series
    Fender Squire Strat
    Ibanez TBX150R 2x12
    Original Crybaby
    Crybaby From Hell
    Boss MT-2
    Boss DD-3
    Boss FV500H Volume Pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suppose wah after of before OD's is a looooong debate in these issues...I guess it depends on what kind of an amp you have and what are the individual pedal's buffers like...I have a Vox wah, and at least that, when put after my OD pedal, is best described as putting a blanket over the amp...it becomes so much murkier, I mean, not just a shade but more than any speaker, tube or guitar change could ever achieve. Much like changing from bridge to neck pup on a strat. That's why I have it first in my chain. Like the wah otherwise, though.

The funny thing is, with my Tech-21 rig it doesn't seem to matter much where it is in the chain...different pedals in use with that setup.

Used to have a Morley wah at some point...that was last in chain for me and worked well.

So...what I'm saying is, there is no conclusive 'truth' to the matter...it all depends on the other gear really..put it where it works best! with each rig!
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. lots of pedals... lol

I'm old and slow.. I have some basics, but have fun with them... here's a pic of my home-made pedal board. I had like 15 yards of that horribly ugly brocade stuff... but have used to to cover everything from my pedal board (which does have a cover for it, but it's set up since I've been playing lots lately) to speaker cabinets and furniture. :-)