Thread: Played at an open jam for the first time ever

Post Thanks / Like

Default Played at an open jam for the first time ever

This past Wednesday, I played a few songs at an open blues jam at a local blues bar. This was my first time doing anything like this. I'm not particularly confident of my playing, but I'm glad that I got the courage to do it (I'd decided that it's a new year and I wanted to play an open mic/jam). I dragged a friend with me, and he was chickening out after hearing the hosting band..they were really good and their guitarist was smokin'. I was persistent and pushed him to go up with me. The band's guitarist was generous in giving me solos. I was very careful to make them short (partly out of courtesy and partly out of nervousness), but each time he told me to go again. I think I screwed up a bit on the turnarounds when I was playing rhythm, but I don't think I made any major blunders when soloing.

That was fun! It was also a good way to further break in my fairly new Agile LP!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!!!!! Keep on keeping on.............
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go! I did my first one a few years ago and remember feeling like I was going to throw up the whole time. Now I do it weekly, and it's a blast.

Also, it's the fastest way to get better. Congrats, and keep it up!
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome I can't wait till I can do that, it must have been a blast and I can identify with ya on the throwin up stuff. Congrats

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it definitely seems like a good way to improve one's playing...

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go,good job.I was just talkin to my wife about going to a local open mic(I haven't been inside a bar for about 13 yrs.I don't drink so I really haven't had a reason to go)Just to check things over before bringing my gear down.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! Way to get the first one under your belt and pave the way for more. Glad you had fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding!

Something I've never done. Need to get around to it eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, Very Cool!!

Sounds like you had a blast and are itching for more. Go get 'em!!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, Pickngrin!

You're always nervous the first time at anything in front of people. But, you overcame your fear and look at the time you had!

You're on your way....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds cool, although I think I would be all into the throwing up part.
    I guess I'll have to look more closely and see if I can find one of those around here.
    Congrats man, keep doing it and let us know how it goes!