Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Speakers Comparaison - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speakers Comparaison

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    How do you like the Silver Bell?
    I love the silver bell, nice crisp cleans and tight low end, I would recommend for british tones amps, same with the blue dog, mixing the 2 together works really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought the Jensen P-12M sounded perhaps the best of the bunch.
    Also like the Greenback (that's what I have, although mine are 1976 built and I think less trebly) and the Celestion 75 is one of my faves.

I didn't like the V30 so much; I've had those too and it sounds too 'polished' for me - initially it's got impressive low and high end but soon gets tiring - it's like those Loudness knobs on stereos or SuperSpatial etc. enhancers, sounds great at first but then you realize it's too much.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

i liked the v30's, they sounded crisp and loud. as im battling muddyness with both of my cabinets (behringer and a cheap marshall) i may try these in one of my cabs..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171
    i liked the v30's, they sounded crisp and loud. as im battling muddyness with both of my cabinets (behringer and a cheap marshall) i may try these in one of my cabs..
    That should work; I tried that with a friend's muddy Behringer 4x12" cab with some Jensens and one overly shrill 2x12" cab with V30's that I had - we swapped the speakers around and both sounded better! Those darker, middy Jensens were just right for the 15" all-tube amp that had some ugly bright overtones when cranked, and the V30's nicely battled the deadness of the Behri cab.

He's swapped to T75's now, though.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    That should work; I tried that with a friend's muddy Behringer 4x12" cab with some Jensens and one overly shrill 2x12" cab with V30's that I had - we swapped the speakers around and both sounded better! Those darker, middy Jensens were just right for the 15" all-tube amp that had some ugly bright overtones when cranked, and the V30's nicely battled the deadness of the Behri cab.

He's swapped to T75's now, though.
    im glad i took a sec and listened to those different speakers, i was almost dead set on eminence texas heats, but after hearing the v-30's , those are for me.. i even tried stuffing the behringer with badding and all it did was deaden an already muddy sound, very disappointing. where is the muddyness coming from? is it the cabinet? the speaker?ive done endless reading on the affect of cabinet material, as it ends up for every 1000 opinions, there was 1000 different ones..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

im glad i took a sec and listened to those different speakers, i was almost dead set on eminence texas heats, but after hearing the v-30's , those are for me.. i even tried stuffing the behringer with badding and all it did was deaden an already muddy sound, very disappointing. where is the muddyness coming from? is it the cabinet? the speaker?ive done endless reading on the affect of cabinet material, as it ends up for every 1000 opinions, there was 1000 different ones..
    I dunno - it's pretty heavily built with non-resonant materials I guess, and the internal space is also probably less than ideal for higher transients to be reinforced. But it's a very sturdy cab and with bright speakers it's quite good for the price IMO. Seems to be best favored by metal players, maybe because it has little coloration and not too much high end.

Mind you, it always depends on the amp...some amps it seems just won't play along with a 400W Marshall cab for instance while others thrive on top of 'em.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno - it's pretty heavily built with non-resonant materials I guess, and the internal space is also probably less than ideal for higher transients to be reinforced. But it's a very sturdy cab and with bright speakers it's quite good for the price IMO. Seems to be best favored by metal players, maybe because it has little coloration and not too much high end.

Mind you, it always depends on the amp...some amps it seems just won't play along with a 400W Marshall cab for instance while others thrive on top of 'em.
    yeah the price is what lured me in for such a big cab(heavy too). as i look back now i wished i didnt get something so big,as honestly ive never been able to turn it up enough to get the speakers rockin enough to give a honest opinion on the whole cab set up.when i saw it in zzound's catalog all i pictured was every 80's hairband video,lol and got lured in.. i did all my reading on cabinet material affects on sound for the purpose of building another cabinet as ive dealt with carpentry and fabrication for many many years, however i couldnt come to a conclusion on the best material to use..birch plywood being most pointed to..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yeah the price is what lured me in for such a big cab(heavy too). as i look back now i wished i didnt get something so big,as honestly ive never been able to turn it up enough to get the speakers rockin enough to give a honest opinion on the whole cab set up.when i saw it in zzound's catalog all i pictured was every 80's hairband video,lol and got lured in.. i did all my reading on cabinet material affects on sound for the purpose of building another cabinet as ive dealt with carpentry and fabrication for many many years, however i couldnt come to a conclusion on the best material to use..birch plywood being most pointed to..
    I have a front loaded, closed back VHT 1 x 12".it is really boomy and bassy. Is your cab open back? I'm thinking of making mine open back.

Like you, I'm considering building a cab. I will be doing an open back (or convertible back) 1 x 12". There's a good plan for 1x12" here: http://www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guys, FWIW, while I think open backs sound great especially the bluesier or more reverby a sound you're after, they're a real pain in the *ss in comparison when on gigs etc, unless you're running all amps just 'live' onstage, not thru a big PA system.

The problem with open backs is that they radiate pretty much the same volume also towards the back, which can be a big problem in that a.) they may reflect weirdly every which way b.) they may be heard in places you don't want 'em (like if the other guy uses a D/I POD etc. system and the other an open-back amp, you hear the open back only in most of the venue) and c.) open-back cab sound can change drastically if you are forced to put it in small spaces or up agaist the wall.

One cab I always liked a lot was a 4x12" that was missing two speakers...sounded much like an open cab, airy etc. but still projected well forward.

Just my experience of course. A convertible cab would solve most issues.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I have a front loaded, closed back VHT 1 x 12".it is really boomy and bassy. Is your cab open back? I'm thinking of making mine open back.

Like you, I'm considering building a cab. I will be doing an open back (or convertible back) 1 x 12". There's a good plan for 1x12" here: http://www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html
    both of mine are closed back, but its really only the behringer thats boomy errr actually it sounds like, almost echo'y or hollow, there was a few speakers in this comparision that had somewhat the same sound. what material will you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, FWIW, while I think open backs sound great especially the bluesier or more reverby a sound you're after, they're a real pain in the *ss in comparison when on gigs etc, unless you're running all amps just 'live' onstage, not thru a big PA system.

The problem with open backs is that they radiate pretty much the same volume also towards the back, which can be a big problem in that a.) they may reflect weirdly every which way b.) they may be heard in places you don't want 'em (like if the other guy uses a D/I POD etc. system and the other an open-back amp, you hear the open back only in most of the venue) and c.) open-back cab sound can change drastically if you are forced to put it in small spaces or up agaist the wall.

One cab I always liked a lot was a 4x12" that was missing two speakers...sounded much like an open cab, airy etc. but still projected well forward.

Just my experience of course. A convertible cab would solve most issues.
    i had gave the 4x12 with just 2 speakers a thought before,as i enjoy testing different things. a 4x12 with removable back or even removable 2-piece back would be interesting thing to test out. if the reading i did is correct about cab material ,in lay terms, one would want the sound waves ring off the material and come thru the speakers as apposed to more or less soak in to the material ?

Post Thanks / Like

On a hot tip from Bloozcat, I just nailed a next-to-new WGS Green Beret, their Celestion Greenback clone, from a guy at the Gear Page. $45 + shipping.

For any of you who aren't familiar with WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers), they're an outfit that's been around for 3 years or so now, and have made a real splash in the guitar amp speaker market with amazingly close reproductions of several of the most popular Celestion models, but typically at about half the price. I have one of their Veteran 30 speakers (their Vintage 30 clone) in my 1x12 cab and it sounds GREAT.

And dig this--they assemble these speakers right here in the good ol' US of A, not overseas. Check 'em out:

Now I just need to decide on what I want to put in my Drive 2x12 cab along with the Green Beret. Decisions, decisions....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    On a hot tip from Bloozcat, I just nailed a next-to-new WGS Green Beret, their Celestion Greenback clone, from a guy at the Gear Page. $45 + shipping.

For any of you who aren't familiar with WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers), they're an outfit that's been around for 3 years or so now, and have made a real splash in the guitar amp speaker market with amazingly close reproductions of several of the most popular Celestion models, but typically at about half the price. I have one of their Veteran 30 speakers (their Vintage 30 clone) in my 1x12 cab and it sounds GREAT.

And dig this--they assemble these speakers right here in the good ol' US of A, not overseas. Check 'em out:

Now I just need to decide on what I want to put in my Drive 2x12 cab along with the Green Beret....
    you're awesome,good find voo, im really digging the green beret..sure has some growl to it, maybe 2 veteran 30's and 2 green berets.
    Last edited by BigBadWolf1171; January 22nd, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Now I just need to decide on what I want to put in my Drive 2x12 cab along with the Green Beret. Decisions, decisions....
    Done deal--nailed a very lightly used Eminence Wizard from a guy at TGP for $60 + shipping. Should pair up nicely with the Green Beret in my 2x12 cab.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm meeting someone tonight on the way home from work to purchase a Lopoline 1x12" cabinet. I'm thinking about nabbing a VIntage 30 from WGS to go in it. I'll have 2 1 x 12" cabs then...my little giant has 2 8ohm connections ont he back...does this mean I could send that head to both cabs at the same time?

If so, I'll have to reuse the original 8 ohm Eminence speaker with my other cab, since the Green Beret in there now is 16 ohm.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm meeting someone tonight on the way home from work to purchase a Lopoline 1x12" cabinet. I'm thinking about nabbing a VIntage 30 from WGS to go in it. I'll have 2 1 x 12" cabs then...my little giant has 2 8ohm connections ont he back...does this mean I could send that head to both cabs at the same time?

If so, I'll have to reuse the original 8 ohm Eminence speaker with my other cab, since the Green Beret in there now is 16 ohm.
    i get confused with ohms, i never remember how it works, WGS has some decent prices, i cant decide which ones to get.. as i was trolling thru CARVIN.com i noticed they had celestion v-30s for 85 bucks..

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a little BH Little Giant head. The two 8 ohm jacks are wired in parallel, meaning you need 8 ohms total. If you plug in two 8 ohm cabinets, you'll be putting a 4 ohm load on the 8 ohm setting. To use two 8 ohm cabs you plug both into the 4 ohm jacks, which are wired in parallel and will see a 4 ohm load when two 8 ohm cabs are plugged in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, so to use the 2 8ohm jacks, I would need 2 16 Ohm speakers then. Right now I have a 16 ohm and an 8 ohm speaker, so I'll need to order another speaker (either 8 or 16ohm), in order to use 2 cabs off of the BHLG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got the Lopoline cab. It has a dual jack in the back.... running a 16 and 8 ohm speaker in parallel would be 5,3 ohms, right? Could you safely run 5.3ohms out of a 4 ohm jack on the LG?

In any event, this point may be moot. The Lopoline cab is just what I had hoped. It's not nearly as boomy as my VHT ported cab. I loaded it with the 8-Ohm Eminence speaker that was originally in the VHT and it sounds great. I'm not sure I want the boom of the VHT. But then again, maybe they would sound great together!

Now the only other question is: Do I load the Lopoline with the Green Beret that's currently in the VHT cab? Decisions, Decisions.

In any event, it looks like I need to get either another 8 or 16 ohm speaker.

Anyone up for a trade?
    Last edited by Commodore 64; January 26th, 2010 at 05:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast