Thread: Jeff Beck - "Emotion & Commotion"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jeff Beck - "Emotion & Commotion"

LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/19/10 -- For his first studio album in seven years, Grammy-winning guitarist Jeff Beck returns with an eclectic mix of tracks that find the guitar virtuoso accompanied by a handpicked cast of talented musicians, as well as several songs accompanied by a 64-piece orchestra. Rhino unleashes the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's restless genius with EMOTION & COMMOTION. The album will be available on Atco Records, an imprint of Rhino Entertainment, on April 13 at all retail outlets, including www.rhino.com, for a suggested list price of $18.98 (CD) and $9.99 (digital).

Beck recorded EMOTION & COMMOTION late last year at Sarm Studios in London with award-winning producers Steve Lipson and Trevor Horn. To create the album's diverse sound, Beck used a number of musicians, including appearances by frequent collaborators Vinnie Colaiuta (drums), Jason Rebello (keyboards), and Tal Wilkenfeld (bass). The album also includes contributions from a trio of singers: Imelda May ("Lilac Wine"), Olivia Safe ("Elegy For Dunkirk"), and Grammy-winner Joss Stone ("I Put A Spell On You" and "There's No Other Me").

To complement the innovative tones he coaxes from his guitar, Beck recorded with a 64-piece orchestra on songs that range from Puccini's immortal aria "Nessun Dorma" and "Elegy For Dunkirk" from the film "Atonement" to "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" from "The Wizard Of Oz" and Jeff Buckley's interpretation of "Corpus Christi Carol."

Beck says the idea of pairing his guitar with an orchestra evolved from the version of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 5 he recorded a few years ago. "It turned out amazingly well, but I didn't want to commit to an entire album of classical music. What appealed to me instead was the idea of bringing together these seemingly contradictory sounds on different kinds of nonclassical music."

In addition to the orchestral pieces, EMOTION & COMMOTION showcases a number of original compositions. For "Hammerhead," Beck fires the rocker's opening salvo through his wah-wah pedal before falling into a deep groove carved out by the rhythm section and horn arrangement. At the opposite end of the sonic spectrum, the airy arrangement that elevates "Never Alone" provides a wide-angle soundscape for Beck's imagination to freely explore the high-flying melody.

Before launching a world tour to support EMOTION & COMMOTION, Beck will unite with Eric Clapton in February for a series of exclusive shows in London, New York City, Toronto, and Montreal. The guitarists -- both former members of the Yardbirds -- will play separately before taking the stage to perform together.

After the shows with Clapton, Beck will play South Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, and Japan before returning to America for the U.S. leg of the tour starting mid-April and including an appearance at the New Orleans Jazz Festival on May 1.

For Beck, the new album and tour follows in the wake of a triumphant 2009 -- his most successful year ever. Among the many highlights were a sold-out world tour; his second induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; the release of the platinum-selling "Performing This Week... Live At Ronnie Scott's," which earned a Grammy nomination for "A Day In The Life"; and magnificent performances with his band at the 25th Anniversary Concert of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden.

For additional information regarding EMOTION & COMMOTION, please contact Melissa Dragich-Cordero at MAD Ink, PR (310) 547-1212 or MelissaDragich@... or Jason Elzy at Rhino at (818) 238-6220 or jason.elzy@....

EMOTION & COMMOTION
    Track Listing

1. "Corpus Christi Carol"
    2. "Hammerhead"
    3. "Never Alone"
    4. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
    5. "I Put A Spell On You" featuring Joss Stone
    6. "Serene"
    7. "Lilac Wine" featuring Imelda May
    8. "Nessun Dorma"
    9. "There's No Other Me" featuring Joss Stone
    10. "Elegy For Dunkirk" featuring Olivia Safe
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked his early stuff, but lately he is doing a lot of John Mclachlan type of stuff. Jazz fusion. I had a DVD given to me by a friend, his concert at Ronnie Scotts, and I have only played it once. Of course he jumps back and forth from Jazz to rock to blues. He knows his instrument and can get some wild sounds out of it, but not my cup of tea any more.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Still like his stuff being I grew up on him and Clapton

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to get this... I don't know why, but I didn't discover Jeff Beck until fairly recently. He's one of the best guitar players of all time, in my opinion. And he's still alive!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I really liked his early stuff... ...He knows his instrument and can get some wild sounds out of it, but not my cup of tea any more.
    I feel the almost the same way. I listened to the Blow By Blow vinyl over and over as a kid in the late 70's. "Live at Ronnie Scotts" is better to watch as a DVD than just listen to. The chemistry he and his band has is beyond words!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

For a legitimate legend/HoFer, he's got to have the smallest canon of truly great music. The chance of multiple listens to his post early 70s releases is slim. Maybe it's too techy, which I do appreciate, but if music isn't memorable then few will remember to care, and I've never heard anybody whistling a JB tune.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get it today at Amazon's MP3 store for $4.99.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the Live at Ronnie Scott's DVD. I think you have to see the man and his band to truly appreciate that one.

I listened to this new one most all the way thru earlier today. While impressive (and somewhat bombastic), it's not my cup of tea. I imagine on DVD it would be more impressive, but still...

OTOH, Jeff Beck has always pretty much done what HE likes, and I guess he liked this enough to release it, so more power to him! By now, he doesn't have to impress anybody...and, w this disc, likely won't.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I love joss stone and tal..combined with jeff............nuff said!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

We saw Jeff with Clapton in Toronto, and Beck's set was fantastic. Sadly, Tal was replaced by tour by the woman who played in Prince's band, who is an awesome player, but ....
    Beck is a true original. Not my favourite genre, but you have to respect the heck out of his talent and creative forces.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to the whole thing on NPR and I actually liked it. Which surprised me.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like