Thread: new member

Post Thanks / Like

Default new member

hello fret friends, im new to the forum,my name is Allen, im 38 living in NY.
    ive been toying with guitars for roughly 4 years and finally want to take it serious. i have a ton of questions, i hope some are willing to help me with, as im more then willing to help anyone with the knowledge i have at anytime. my main interest in guitar is hard rock/ softer metal. (one mans metal is another man's rock is another man hard core), i like alot of 80's rock as well as current rock in ex. disturbed killswitch engage 5fdp, etc..however i enjoy alot of other music as well ,more so oldies (50's).my first and foremost queastion is, while ive toy'd with guitars for 4 yrs, and took lessons for 3 months,im just not sure where to begin,i can read tabs and can play most anything off a tab with alot of practice, however i dont know any chords or scales, as im decent at palm muting, and tapping, i feel like im lost as to playing the guitar. Almost like i tried to start at point B ,skipping point A. i appreciate any input, ty, Al

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wolfman, welcome to the gang! (did I just rhyme?)

Lots of people here to help with questions. Ask away.

Enjoy!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks robert .as i scanned the forums late last night, i see theres alot of friendly and knowledgable members here

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret! This really is a nice place to (virtually) hang out.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, BBW!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks don, frank!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret, Wolf !
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

welcome
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Allen!
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Allen! I am sure you will find lots of good info here to start to develop your vocabulary and put names on what you are already doing, as you referred to in your other thread. I started a few years ago too, in my 40s. A fun new passion that you can feed here for sure!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys, i look forward to threading with you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Allen!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171
    my first and foremost queastion is, while ive toy'd with guitars for 4 yrs, and took lessons for 3 months,im just not sure where to begin,i can read tabs and can play most anything off a tab with alot of practice, however i dont know any chords or scales, as im decent at palm muting, and tapping, i feel like im lost as to playing the guitar. Almost like i tried to start at point B ,skipping point A. i appreciate any input, ty, Al
    I know how you feel. I'm kind of in the same situation. I started with a Mel Bay Chord book and Neil Young Decade Song book though, so the first things I learned were open chords. I can switch failry will between open chords, and am OK with F-shape Barre Chords...however...I've got no rhythm and I'm very, very weak on palm muting.

Lately, I've taken a liking to blues for a couple of reasons. The 12 bar blues pattern is easy to remember, and easy to recognize. Blues shuffles rhythms are easy to feel, and are great for working on finger dexterity, pinky stretching and left hand strength. A lot of blues shuffle fingerings overlap with power chords...so I find that working on them helps me when I want to practice a little Fade to Black, Power Slave, or Paranoid. Come Together by the Beatles is good blues shuffle rhythm practice too. I posted tab for a few rock songs with blues shuffle fingerings here: http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?...9&postcount=13

I just got a book, Texas Blues Guitar by Mark Calva. FWIW, he starts by showing the Blues Box Pattern in A, then he shows 24 short riffs, and then moves to shuffle rhythms, and then finally to solos. He suggests working through the book in that order.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the gang!!!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!! and have fun !!!!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    I know how you feel. I'm kind of in the same situation. I started with a Mel Bay Chord book and Neil Young Decade Song book though, so the first things I learned were open chords. I can switch failry will between open chords, and am OK with F-shape Barre Chords...however...I've got no rhythm and I'm very, very weak on palm muting.

Lately, I've taken a liking to blues for a couple of reasons. The 12 bar blues pattern is easy to remember, and easy to recognize. Blues shuffles rhythms are easy to feel, and are great for working on finger dexterity, pinky stretching and left hand strength. A lot of blues shuffle fingerings overlap with power chords...so I find that working on them helps me when I want to practice a little Fade to Black, Power Slave, or Paranoid. Come Together by the Beatles is good blues shuffle rhythm practice too. I posted tab for a few rock songs with blues shuffle fingerings here: http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?...9&postcount=13

I just got a book, Texas Blues Guitar by Mark Calva. FWIW, he starts by showing the Blues Box Pattern in A, then he shows 24 short riffs, and then moves to shuffle rhythms, and then finally to solos. He suggests working through the book in that order.
    thanks como i appreciate your help, and thanks for the welcome guys !