Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tele = Versatility
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tele = Versatility

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele = Versatility

Last night I played the Tele for 2 hours straight. Played everything I knew how to play from Country, Blues, Rock and Metal. I don't know any Jazz but I'm sure it can be done. Anywho I think you can pretty much nail about any tone you want using a Tele. Country, Blues and Rock are kinda a moot point but Metal and Jazz? Well for metal I simply put the Bad Monkey in front of the already overdriven channel on my amp and add the maximum amount of low tone and rolled back the tone knob on the guitar about halfway, eliminating the bright highs off the bridge pup and guess what...instant 'humbucker' tones. Ballsy and ready to slay. A good 'humbucker' simulation once the tone knob is rolled back halfway. Even though I don't play much metal like I used to in the '80s I was easily convinced of some tasty metal tones the Tele was producing with the way I had it set up on the pedal and amp. If I wanted to go back to Blues or Country all I had to do was turn the pedal off and there I was. Just turned the tone knob back up and adjusted the guitar volume again. And I believe that the Tele produces very round warm yet airy Jazz like tones off the neck with the tone knob rolled off completely.

Since this is my first ever Telecaster I felt compelled to write about this experience. I'm sure many of you already know how versatile a Tele really is. I've come to the light!
    Last edited by tone2thebone; September 20th, 2006 at 08:42 AM.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Last night I played the Tele for 2 hours straight. Played everything I knew how to play from Country, Blues, Rock and Metal. I don't know any Jazz but I'm sure it can be done. Anywho I think you can pretty much nail about any tone you want using a Tele. Country, Blues and Rock are kinda a moot point but Metal and Jazz? Well for metal I simply put the Bad Monkey in front of the already overdriven channel on my amp and add the maximum amount of low tone and rolled back the tone knob on the guitar about halfway, eliminating the bright highs off the bridge pup and guess what...instant 'humbucker' tones. Ballsy and ready to slay. A good 'humbucker' simulation once the tone knob is rolled back halfway. Even though I don't play much metal like I used to in the '80s I was easily convinced of some tasty metal tones the Tele was producing with the way I had it set up on the pedal and amp. If I wanted to go back to Blues or Country all I had to do was turn the pedal off and there I was. Just turned the tone knob back up and adjusted the guitar volume again. And I believe that the Tele produces very round warm yet airy Jazz like tones off the neck with the tone knob rolled off completely.

Since this is my first ever Telecaster I felt compelled to write about this experience. I'm sure many of you already know how versatile a Tele really is. I've come to the light!
    I had a Fender FMT tele that had two humbuckers with a coil tap. Great guitar. I'm so stuck on strats though I hardly played it though and gave it to my brother. Very versatile and could deliver on everything from great cleans to high gain leads.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

i go to my tele more than any of my other guitars....it is definately versatile and plays like butter!!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

My Tele is my main ax. I practice with it everyday and play it out on Wensday nights. I love the two humbuckers. With the bridge one higher than the neck pup, I can get close to the tele sound, just a little deeper than the single coil Tele. It's just missing that ash tray twang.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender's Deluxe Tele is still one my favourite guitar of all time, but also the vintage '52 is a heavenly instrument!

If your Tele is set up correctly, you won't miss anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Good responses guys. Some of you have humbucker equiped Teles which is great. I initially meant stock pickup configuration for versatility...obviously with a humbuckered Tele you've got a different animal. Nevertheless I think everyone should have at least one Telecaster in their collection. If they don't they're missing out. Seriously.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I initially meant stock pickup configuration for versatility...obviously with a humbuckered Tele you've got a different animal.
    true....when i think tele i think single-coil...but humbucker options are interesting...

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

The question is, is a dual humbucker tele still a tele? I have tried one of the Squier telecasters with dual humbuckers but I dont think it has that trademark tele tone anymore. Still very good guitars though.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think humbuckers produce that classic tele tone...nice tones maybe but not tele tones....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think that any guitar shaped like a Tele but with a humbucker would/should not be considered a Telecaster simply because the original model had/has single coil pickups of specific intention and design. When I say go get an original Tele and all your dreams will come true I truly mean this! But with single coils please!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    I had a Fender FMT tele that had two humbuckers with a coil tap. Great guitar. I'm so stuck on strats though I hardly played it though and gave it to my brother. Very versatile and could deliver on everything from great cleans to high gain leads.
    I have this beast...LOVE IT. And with it being all mahogany (with maple top), set neck, and the two humbuckers, I really have a hard time getting true tele tone. With the coil tap engaged I can get pretty close though when I use the bridge pickup or the bridge and neck. I can almost get sort of straty when I use the neck. And when the humbuckers are used, nice crunch. Very versatile guitar. Sort of like the perfect blend between a les paul and a tele. And the fretboard is awesome. Like a 16 inch radius or something. Almost flat it seems, if you're into that sort of thing. It's hard for me to put this guitar down. I strongly advise everyone to go get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies
    I have this beast...LOVE IT. And with it being all mahogany (with maple top), set neck, and the two humbuckers, I really have a hard time getting true tele tone. With the coil tap engaged I can get pretty close though when I use the bridge pickup or the bridge and neck.

Rabies I'm glad you mentioned this cause I was expecting it to come up. I think that a humbucker on a Tele with the ability to split the coil still would not sound exactly like an original Tele. As you said...the "true Tele tone". Still as you also mentioned it does have it's own versatility.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. Close but no cigar.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I said close. That is why I have the bridge pup raised close to the strings. I produces the trebly tone, but not the twang.

Jimi75 - I never had the Tele Deluxe set up by a pro. Maybe I should. Something is not right. When the notes begin to fade away, they take on a sour tone to them. Then they completely fade away. I try to mute the strings before this happens to advoid it from be heard.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Ok, I said close. That is why I have the bridge pup raised close to the strings. I produces the trebly tone, but not the twang.

Jimi75 - I never had the Tele Deluxe set up by a pro. Maybe I should. Something is not right. When the notes begin to fade away, they take on a sour tone to them. Then they completely fade away. I try to mute the strings before this happens to advoid it from be heard.
    Maybe the pup is TOO close to the strings...causing arrest.

Post Thanks / Like

Its my neck pup and it is sitting a the recommended 4/64 inch. I am wondering it the higher capacitor that I installed is having an effect. One would think not. But I do not remembering the pup doing this before I installed new pots and caps. Hmmm????
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

My MIM Tele has a GFS Fat Alnico on the neck and a GFS Hot TC Alnico on the bridge. I was looking for hotter output while still keeping the Tele sound. Let me tell you that I hit jackpot!

With my Tele I get the classic twang with...spheres... , getting overdrive easier, but if I wanna keep it clean I just roll back the volume. The neck pickup is very deep, round, quite different from the bridge, and with this one I can get easily into humbucker territory. Both pups on land me into Strat territory, not sounding exactly like one, but close enough...

Yeah, Teles are very versatile.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tone, glad to see you came to light with the tele.

I love my squier custom tele. Here is my thread on the mods I did to it, including coil splitting. I bought the guitar with versatility in mind all along. It gets a great variety of sounds with the coil splits. After having played some standard teles I must say that mine with the coils split does not sound quite like a tele, although it does come close. It gets some great blues tones throughout, and some nice rock sounds with humbuckers.

Kerc, I also used GFS pups in my tele, and they are great. the FAT PAF's are very fat, and I think that may cause the pups to sound a bit fuller and rounder, leading them away from the twang. But the versatility and uniquness are what I was going for, and I couldn't be more satisfied.
    Leonidas' Gear List:
    Electric Guitars - Agile AL-2800 (S.D. '59 B, Pearly Gates N), Squier Telecaster Custom (GFS FAT PAFs + Mods)
    Acoustic Guitars - Crafter ML-Rose, Epiphone PR-350CE
    Amps - VOX AD50VT, Epiphone Valve Jr. (Modded), Fender Blues Jr
    Pedals - Crybaby Classic w/ Fasel Inductor, Boss DS-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ, Ibanez AW7

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Good responses guys. Some of you have humbucker equiped Teles which is great. I initially meant stock pickup configuration for versatility...obviously with a humbuckered Tele you've got a different animal. Nevertheless I think everyone should have at least one Telecaster in their collection. If they don't they're missing out. Seriously.
    All the Teles I've had, whatever the configuration, have been versatile. Of those, though, this one is the most versatile:

It's got coil-splitting on the neckbucker and 5-way switching on the pup selector.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast