Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Superglue??

Thread: Superglue??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Superglue??

I have been playing a lot more often and aggresively than before, I am in two bands now, multiple practices and jams and practcing per week etc... so basically the skin under by nail started detaching from the nail on my index finger from hours of string bending. I threw a drop of superglue in there and pressed my finger lightly on the surface of my desk and 20 seconds later it was repaired! Amazing. Wondering however if this practice is safe... someone told me Stevie Ray and others did it all the time etc.. because I have a lot of playing to do some superglue might just start living in my guitar case. Any other "gluers" here?

Post Thanks / Like

I often wondered the same thing, sometimes a finger will get dried out and split on the tip and I have often thought of doing that but didn't.

Will be interesting to hear from others!! Whats up doc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    I have been playing a lot more often and aggresively than before, I am in two bands now, multiple practices and jams and practcing per week etc... so basically the skin under by nail started detaching from the nail on my index finger from hours of string bending. I threw a drop of superglue in there and pressed my finger lightly on the surface of my desk and 20 seconds later it was repaired! Amazing. Wondering however if this practice is safe... someone told me Stevie Ray and others did it all the time etc.. because I have a lot of playing to do some superglue might just start living in my guitar case. Any other "gluers" here?

Well, I thought someone had once told me that superglue was invented as an alternative to band-aids, so I googled this.

If your skin isn't irritated and you didn't burn yourself, I'd say you're good to go. Looks like the potential risks are pretty low-risk anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I just used the tiniest drop i could get from the krazy glue allocator. it didn't burn or sting or anything. Sounds good thanks :-)

Post Thanks / Like

The reqular super glues have a chemical in them that will burn and irritate an open wound. Surgical glues like Dermabond wont. Problem is that it's hard to come by for us regular folks.

Edit:
    Check that. I found some affordable skin glue.
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...rmabond&page=1
    Last edited by Spudman; January 25th, 2010 at 02:43 PM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Gluing a nail back on is bad enough, but the "lore" is that Stevie Ray actually used Super Glue to glue his callouses back on when they'd tear off, prolly from doing those hellacious Albert King bends on the 13's he used to string his guitars with! OUCH!!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure the glue is dry before you take a piss! Don't ask. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Just make sure the glue is dry before you take a piss! Don't ask. Sumi
    What do you mean "don't ask?" You'll drive all of us crazy unless you spill the beans.

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't take a picture through the microscope. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I can't take a picture through the microscope. Sumi
    It looks like you have more serious things going on than super glue.

Post Thanks / Like

All I heard was freeze! Hands on your head! then I passed out.Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard stories of players shaving off skin from the balls of their feet and super gluing them to their fingertips.................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used super glue to good effect over the years, the only problems I have had is lack of feeling in the fingertip and the slick surface it can create once dry if too much is applied...
    "Hell, that ain't Country Western Hoss, that's biscuits and Lion-Tamers..." ~Unknown Hinson