Iggy Pop doesn't think so. Nor do I. To me, the key element is does the vocal or guitar, etc. move me. Iggy takes that thought pretty far. I am not a huge IP and the Stooges fan, (though I do have and enjoy some), but I think his points are interesting and thought provoking, and I do largely agree with him.

Check out this interview on NPR. Click on the button at the top to listen. It is better than just reading it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...87&sc=fb&cc=fp

He totally takes on the British musicians of his day: "People tend to jump on the bandwagon, and the bandwagon at that time was dumb members of the British yob class growing their hair and butchering the American blues," he says. "It was very important what not to do. [Music] has to get up off the couch, walk around and be original." He also hammers "quasi classical adaptations of Prog rock, bleeehhh!" The article makes the point that Iggy used his somewhat limited voice almost as a weapon, to move and provoke, and that it still to this day has merit.

So what do you guys think? How important is the technical merit to you? My opinion? I am certainly not anti-technical merit, but if it isn't moving to me, I am moving on.