Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member from Maine...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool New member from Maine...

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks... checking out the lessons and backing tracks, mostly.

A little about me, I guess... over the last 20 years I've run the gambit.. starting out in blues, expanding into blues-influenced rock, onto 80's and 90's "hard rock" and metal, and find myself back at square one.. and re-learning blues has been very interesting with all sorts of other influences tossed into the mix.

I don't have much of a blues rig any more... a Les Paul Classic Antique and Marshall JCM2000 half stack... with everything on 11, I've got enough gain to kill pigeons... but I've found that dialing back is resulting in some wonderful blues tones... the clean channel with maxed gain gives me just a hint of dirt, the crunch channel scaled back gives me a great Tube screamer-esqu tone, then I bump the lead channel up another notch for some creamy lead and sustain.

At any rate... I'm here... my obligatory introduction is here... and I'm back to reading the forums.

Great site!

Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!!!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Jon! Nice setup you have. Planning on making any changes now that you're back to playing the blues, or is your current setup working well enough for you?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome........ where in maine are ya?????
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mainestratman!! Welcome to the gang.

Mrs Keel and I used to live in that beautiful state. Left in 2000. Former resident of Portland and then Peaks Island.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, nice intro!
    You've come to the Maine Guitar Place on the interweb...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jon!

I'm just about at the other (Southern) end of the coast from Maine.

Although, not exactly on the coast.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.. reminds me of some well-worn 6l6s... ;-)

Let's see.. changing my gear.. probably the most I'll do is get a more portable amp... looking at a Classic 30, since I've always wanted one. I'll have to start with something for less $$$ though... Maybe that Vox everyone is raving about or a Cube 30.

I highly doubt I'll ever go back to strats. Yeah, I know all the arguments for them, I made those arguments for 16 years... lol But really.. that Les Paul is everything I've ever wanted in a guitar... that, and going back to a longer scale length sucks. ;-)

I'm in part of the northern reaches of Maine. Hop on I-95 north and take the next to the last exit before Canada. No.. I'm not joking.. and yes, we have electricity and indoor plumbing and everything up here! Well, everything but drummers. And venues. ;-)

LOL @ Brian.. you.. you're in the *other* Maine... the one we refer to up here as "Northern Massachusetts"... lol

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the site jon, im new here as well. all around nice people with great help on the site.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Jon.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome from Texas, mainestratman!
    As you know by now, this group is a great bunch, give or take a few boneheads like me.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I lived up there awhile back in caribou last exit to houlton then through mars hill etc,etc,...............I have been living in palermo(china lakes vacation region) until this past spring............I have since moved back home and will not return!! I do love the summer up there,all 3 weeks
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret, Jon!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, all. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Maine, and welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie here as well.

Very familiar with your part of the world, Family from up the Fort Kent way, have spent a lot of time playing in Millinocket and Baxter, grew up on the New Hampshire seacoast. Beautiful country.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    LOL @ Brian.. you.. you're in the *other* Maine... the one we refer to up here as "Northern Massachusetts"... lol
    No, I meant ALL the way down the coast, not just all the way down the coast in Maine.

I'm in Florida. You know, gators and such. Never been further north than Philadelphia-- and that was over 35 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh.. derr... that would explain why it says FLA under your avatar. Heh.

I like gators. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very familiar with Maine. My daughter lives in Augusta. I spend a lot of time there. You are quite a ways up 95. Pretty close to New Brunswick.
    I am one of your Cannuck neighbors but about 600 miles away, in Ontario.
    Before you make any changes I would have a listen to Joe Bonamassa new DVD "Live at the Royal Albert Hall". You have just about the perfect set up for Joes style of blues. I am a died in the wool blues guy, and I really like the Gibson, Marshall tone with a little slap back that Joe uses.
    Oh and I was wondering who it was that was bringing up all these 2 year old threads. I was confused. But I realize it had to be a Mainer LOL
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast