Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Operating System for PCs question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Windows Operating System for PCs question

Are there any PC/Windows geeks out there? I ran into a problem with losing restore points...I think. I'm not sure if I inadvertently deleted previous restore points or not because when I go to System Restore...only today's date shows up and I need restore points from last week! Does Windows store these files/points somewhere on the HD where I can find them? If they're gone for good when running System Restore...are they? Ahhhh!!

No Mac users may respond with told you so's.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    No Mac users may respond with told you so's.
    biting tongue....

btw: what are restore points?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh... no comment then.

Have you checked out the windows built-in help ? Sometimes those guides can be quite useful.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Tone - First you must sign in as the Administrator. Did you try Restore Wizard? To restore the System data by clicking the Tools menu, and then clicking Restore Wizard.

Or go to start, then Run, and then type "restore" in the window. When the new window appears click on the "rstrui" application. It will take you into the restore system. There you can either restore from an ealier time or create a restore point. Hope this helps.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Warren - HA! I knew you'd say something.

SS - Windows help sux...besides I tried that already.

Tim - Going to try that now thanks!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Tim - Tried that and well it opens up the System Restore dialog box. I've been opening that dialog box all day long already. It only dates today's point. All my prior system restore points are gone. I was hoping that I could manually (read magically) find them again by using Windows Explorer or something. Looks like I'm screwed.

Oh Warren, restore points are points in time where the OS will revert back to in case you have computer problems and you want to revert back to a day before your computer started acting up.

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried pressing f8 while booting....this should take you to a selkection area before windows boots...there you could select " last known correct configuration" or something like that....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    have you tried pressing f8 while booting....this should take you to a selkection area before windows boots...there you could select " last known correct configuration" or something like that....

ww
    No I haven't tried that. Let me do it and see what happens. If I don't come back nice knowing ya! LMAO

Post Thanks / Like

Be verwy verwy careful!
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you log on as the Administrator??? You can not do nothing without the proper log in. I do not think hit F8 during bootup will fix the problem. It is an OS function.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

i've had to do it with my sons pc....no big deal....just keep clicking f8 after it starts booting....after it gives you the option to click esc or f2 to enter setup

ww

Post Thanks / Like

tim...it stops the boot process right before loading windows, you can then select to boot into safe mode, regular mode or last known working configuration

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I know. But the OS goes back to the original installtion time frame. It will not let you pick a date to go back too.

Tones been gone to long. This is not good. Come back Tone!
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO I'm back. Wish I could say better than ever though.

Didn't work Warren. It just starts the OS process when I F8 with no option to start in last known working config.

I just think the restore points got wiped out. I don't know how cause I'm sure I didn't deleted them accidently. I know the process of how to do that and I didn't do it. Hmmm....

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you back Tone. Got to go.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is wrong that you have to use system restore?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running Virtual Machine on my PC and it started acting up when I installed a component to the program. I wanted to revert back to the day before I installed the component but thats when I found all my previous restore points were gone. Frick.

Post Thanks / Like

Tone, you should take a bite of the sweet fruit called Apple
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

It's not my 'puter buddy it's work's. Everyone pretty much uses PCs for their work computers here unless you work for a graphic arts company or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast