Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need help fixing up an old Aria 12-String . . .

Thread: Need help fixing up an old Aria 12-String . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need help fixing up an old Aria 12-String . . .

Ok...I have an Aria 12 string acoustic that I'd really like to get back in working order. This thing is probably 30+ years old. My brother got it from a friend about 10 years ago. in a nutshell, it needs 6 new tuning machines (we've used it as a six string for forever). Needs a new nut (I should be able to find this pretty easily). Needs a new saddle and pickup...the old pickup was rotted out. So I got a new pickup for it. Unfortunately, the saddle and the space for the pickup is not as long as traditional acoustic guitars.

As you can see, the pickup and saddle would sit in this metal piece which sits inside the guitar. Unfortunately, the pickup is too long by about a 1/4" or less. Here's another look at it:

The part where the end of the pickup is extending into is where a securing screw goes in which helps secure the saddle piece and as it screws in, it lifts the saddle piece to proper height. Well, the tiny little piece of the pickup is in the way and I'm afraid it'll damage the guitar further if i 'make it work'.

So my first question is, can I cut-off the last 1/8" or 1/4" of the pickup and NOT damage the pickup?

2nd question: You can see a clear, plastic coating around the pickup. Would it be safe to take it off. It is making the pickup take more room than I need it too. If I leave it on, it barely leaves any room for the saddle to fit.

NEXT THING: I'm afraid the tuning machines are going to be very hard to find. We have a great music shop here in town, and they generally have lots of parts. So I'm going to check there if I can. With this being a 12-string, there would be virtually no spacing between each tuning machine.

Any ideas where I can find these things? thanks in advance. I'd love to make this thing back into a 12-string. So I can live w/o the pickup.

Thanks in advance to all replies.

ksg

Post Thanks / Like

First, Welcome to the gang.

Second, the easy stuff. Some possible sources for the tuners.

http://www.stewmac.com/

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondpr...uning+Machines

The rest is a bit harder. I would not advise cutting the undersaddle transducer or removing the plastic. But, it looks like it's already damaged so cutting may be a moot point.

An option to consider. Those adjustable bridges are tone killers. So, why not consider getting rid of it. Get a bone blank, that's thick enough. Then shape a saddle to fit the bridge slot. Put your transducer under that and you will have enough room and a probably a better sounding guitar.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    First, Welcome to the gang.

Second, the easy stuff. Some possible sources for the tuners.

http://www.stewmac.com/

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondpr...uning+Machines

The rest is a bit harder. I would not advise cutting the undersaddle transducer or removing the plastic. But, it looks like it's already damaged so cutting may be a moot point.

An option to consider. Those adjustable bridges are tone killers. So, why not consider getting rid of it. Get a bone blank, that's thick enough. Then shape a saddle to fit the bridge slot. Put your transducer under that and you will have enough room and a probably a better sounding guitar.
    Ditch the adjustable bridge, and put in a bone saddle. Here's a link to some info from Fishman that I found helpful:

http://www.fishman.com/uploads/produ...uments/118.pdf

If you cut the pickup, you can damage the transducer element or connecting wire, which will detrimentally effect it. Since it is already gnarled up at the end, I would clean it up, just cutting away the frayed plastic but being careful not to take any length of of it.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Question

thanks for your replies/suggestions. I'm ditching the pickup idea, but have found some tuning machines that will work.

I am interested in getting a non-adjustable saddle replacement...

That opening is 78mm long by 6mm wide.

If I were to get a blank saddle, what kind would be easiest to sand down, but yet still provide great tone? Thanks in advance!

ksg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ksgtarheel
    thanks for your replies/suggestions. I'm ditching the pickup idea, but have found some tuning machines that will work.

I am interested in getting a non-adjustable saddle replacement...

That opening is 78mm long by 6mm wide.

If I were to get a blank saddle, what kind would be easiest to sand down, but yet still provide great tone? Thanks in advance!

ksg
    Bone is the way to go. It isn't that easy to sand, especially as the dust gets very pasty when it mixes with your sweat. It feels rather unpleasant and cakes up. But the hardness helps in a way, because shaping a saddle is somewhat delicate work, and if the material is easy to sand (i.e. soft), it is easy to go too far when shaping the compensation contour for example. I like use a 0.5 lead pencil to make my marks, and then scribe the bone with a sharp exacto.

Bone also sounds best for my money.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

k... i've gone with a bone saddle. The past two nights, i've worked on sanding it to fit in the bridge slot. I've got it to where it is a snug fit. Now i need to sand / shape the top. It is flat on top and about 1/4" wide. I think it is about the height that it needs to be. Do i just round out the top? Any tips? thx in advance.