Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anyone able to make a copy of an existing guitar nut?

Thread: Anyone able to make a copy of an existing guitar nut?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone able to make a copy of an existing guitar nut?

I want to upgrade the plastic nut on my import Hamer, but I don't want to drop the cash that would be entailed for the nut cut + setup, etc.
    Is there anyone who makes their own nuts who can make a copy (Tusq, bone, graphite) of a nut?

Post Thanks / Like

I've only done it once. Have adjusted the slots many times. Lots of guitars leave the factory with the slots not cut deep enough.

Unless you are talking about a custom situation you are likely able to buy a replacement nut.

Couple of sources.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=1

http://www.lmii.com/
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Nut and a setup shouldn't cost that much... had it done a few years ago on one of my guitars for $19 at a local retailer.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

$19?? I'm pretty sure it will run me at least 3 times that amount here in Connecticut...

Post Thanks / Like

You could check out a pre-slotted Tusq nut. It would depend on the nut width on your guitar, though many imports are between a 1-5/8" and a 1-11/16" ((1.650" I think), and the slotted Tusq nuts are usually made to fit a particular American size. For instance, I have a slotted Tusq nut here at home that won't fit any of my Agiles or my Ibanez, but it would fit a Gibson LP about perfectly. Of the pre-slotted Tusq nuts that AllParts sells (there's only about 2-3), it's the only one that's anywhere close...but not close enough.

It generally costs about $50.00 or more to have a new nut fitted, depending upon the nut material type. Maybe it's time to take a shot at cutting and fitting one for yourself?
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Maybe it's time to take a shot at cutting and fitting one for yourself?
    I posted a thread about the bone nut I made for my dreadnaught with pics, if I can dig it up. It is a lot of work with bone as it is very hard (hence the pricey cost of a custom job), but can be done with minimal tools. I used a hack saw blade, an exacto,a 0.5 lead pencil, a flexible double sided steel nail file, a set of needle files and some sand paper. I'll put my result up against any thing done with gauged slotting files, etc.

I would advise against using power tools like a dremel, as the bone burns and smells like hair but worse. I just used the original nut as a template/starting point, making modifications where desired for action, string space, etc.

I personally am of the opinion that most nuts I see have string slots that are way too deep. According to the very skilled craftsman who advised me, the string should have the top third protruding above the slot. This is particularly important with the wound strings. I, from experience, have come to prefer half my string to be in the slot.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navvid
    I posted a thread about the bone nut I made for my dreadnaught with pics, if I can dig it up. It is a lot of work with bone as it is very hard (hence the pricey cost of a custom job), but can be done with minimal tools. I used a hack saw blade, an exacto,a 0.5 lead pencil, a flexible double sided steel nail file, a set of needle files and some sand paper. I'll put my result up against any thing done with gauged slotting files, etc.

I would advise against using power tools like a dremel, as the bone burns and smells like hair but worse. I just used the original nut as a template/starting point, making modifications where desired for action, string space, etc.

I personally am of the opinion that most nuts I see have string slots that are way too deep. According to the very skilled craftsman who advised me, the string should have the top third protruding above the slot. This is particularly important with the wound strings. I, from experience, have come to prefer half my string to be in the slot.
    Oh, there are lots of common tools that can be used to slot a nut. The nut files just make it easier and quicker...but a full set isn't exactly cheap.

Then there's the handy little torch tip cleaner set for cheap...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Would a little jig help in making the slot geometry right (perpendicular to the nut)?
    Last edited by poodlesrule; February 2nd, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I ordered a Tusq XL nut - the size designated for Epiphone is large enough and I will have to sand it down to get it to fit. It's preslotted, although I imagine that I will have to further slot it.
    I am very much a DIY guy, but people often seem to warn others to leave nuts to the pros.