Thread: Grammy awards

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grammy awards

Did anyone watch? Jeff Beck was on there. By the way, he is playing some showes with Clapton in February.

Thurs Feb 18 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
    Fri Feb 19 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
    Sun Feb 21 Toronto, Canada Air Canada Center
    Mon Feb 22 Montreal, Canada Bell Center

I just saw Beyonce perform at the Grammys. I don't know much about her or her music, but what a performance! She is easily one of the most impressive and powerful female vocalists I've ever heard. And she puts on a show too!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes I watched it. I was not over impressed overall I guess. But then my taste in music does not match up with a lot of what is out there now. I agree that Beyonce is a powerful vocalist, but I honestly was listening more to her guitarist. LOL! I liked Jeff Beck doing the Les Paul thing. I kinda liked the Green Day part, and really do enjoy 21st Century Breakdown, that they won best rock album with. (I would rather have heard the band play it, rather than the cast from the new broadway show joining in) But overall, I wanted more guitar. It seemed all rap/hip hop type pop and country pop. No blues or jazz, and not much rock. I was reminded by the show of now little rock or rock oriented offerings were recognized at all this year by the commercial media.

Still, always fun to watch, especially with a DVR so I can fast forward.

I heard the event honoring Neil Young that happened Friday was great. It would have been fun to see that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeep watched most of it. Very much agree with the Beyonce comments. She got a lot of TV time yesterday as she was also interviewed on 60 minutes. Very thoughtful, well spoken you lady. Protective of her privacy and funny.

Green Day got a big thumbs up. Not so much the Zak Brown band, which was a dissapointment. The addition of Leon Russell did not help. I was also struck by the incongruity of Lady Antebellum, all tight three part harmonies, following the craziness of the Black Eyed Peas. Yikes!!

The Taylor Swift duet with Stevie Nicks was also a let down. Swift seemed to have a bit of a pitch problem.

Agree w/ SVL. More guitars would be nice. Unfortunately for a lot of modern popular music, guitars just are not part of the mix. It's all about rhythm.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Here 's Beck's Tribute to Les Paul... The Classic How High the Moon sing by Imelda May..Obviously Jeff is playin a LP ..

Also Beck won the 2010 Best Rock Instrumental Performance with this interpretation..

Last edited by Blaze; February 1st, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

It sucked big time. My wife was watching it and I checked in a few times.
    Now come on people have any of you actually listened to the words of Beyonce's Song "all the single ladies" Those are only four words in the whole song. Must have taken a musical genius to write that one.
    Of all the songs to feature a Les Paul and Jeff Beck "How high the moon"
    I know it was a tribute to Les Paul but come on.
    And don't even waste my time with one more electronic voiced rap crap song by Jamie Fox.
    No wonder classic rock stations are so popular.
    And the lovely duet with Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks. Could Taylor hit a note on key just once.
    All the flashing lights and even 3 D images couldn't save this one, it was horrible.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I won't watch the Grammy Awards out of principle.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't watched the Grammy Awards since the Go-Gos were in the Top 40 Countdown with Casey Kasem.

Post Thanks / Like

The only redeeming thing about the whole event was that the lighting was awesome. Otherwise, pew. I really enjoyed what was on the other stations at the time.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I still like Beyonce... so sue me!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Oh I like looking at her. It's the listening to her that hurts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, I was being a little overly polite before. I liked Taylor Swift as she seemed a nice kid, but her performance with Stevie was a bit painful. Very flat. I had hoped she would do better.

Beyonce's voice is very powerful, but I did not like her songs at all really. It may be what is popular out there now, but not my mug of beer. I was struck by how I kind of missed the idea of Michael Jackson. His tribute was kinda nice, not that all the singers were my favs, but it was still ok. Other than that, maybe the highlight was Sir Elton's duet with Lady Ga Ga. His old song they slid into was one of my favorites when i was 12. Even my favs, Green Day, gave a less than satisfying performance in my eyes. They should rock that song, not help sell tickets to a play based on the album.

I did not get to hear Slash's playing, as in fast forward mode through the Black Eyed Peas number. I just could not hang in there to listen, then when I saw Slash's hat flash across the screen, I did not go back and listen. There must have been awards for blues and jazz, but no performances were included in the broadcast that I saw. I have to admit I was disappointed. I normally enjoy at least a good chunk of the Grammys.

EDIT: Robert, that's cool that you like Beyonce. Good on ya. She obviously has vocal talent, but I just don't care for the songs. I actually preferred Pink's number with the "circus of the stars" stunts.

EDIT AGAIN: I suppose I also must admit, that though I don't consider myself old, the Grammy's made me feel that way a bit. I did not own, or even recognize, most of the songs up for best song.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't even know they were on this weekend, also found out about an hour ago that the Pro Bowl was on this weekend.

I guess it was my lost weekend.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Strum, you were busy changing guitar strings, and chatting on FB about that, and Duluth, and Warren Zevon. All in all, a much better use of your time!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was great,I just wear my headphones into my i-pod! Sumi P.S. Beyonce sounds alot like Coco Montoya to me!
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel

...Swift seemed to have a bit of a pitch problem...
    I noticed that too. Maybe monitor problems. Definitely off on several notes though.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Strum, you were busy changing guitar strings, and chatting on FB about that, and Duluth, and Warren Zevon. All in all, a much better use of your time!
    The string thread was great - much more entertaining than TV
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

The Grammy's were on? When?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Even us aging headbangers would agree with you on that
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn