Thread: brass nut

Post Thanks / Like

Default brass nut

Anyone have opinions on installing a brass nut on a guitar? ive heard they offer great sustain and a jangly sound as apposed to other nuts.Ive seen them offered for gibson LP's but not for the epi les paul, which i own. is there a certain place one could be ordered?

Post Thanks / Like

You can probably get one from Stewart McDonald.

I put one on a Squier Strat once. It definitely turned the whole guitar into a more resonant machine. I didn't keep the guitar long enough to really evaluate the change. Still it was an improvement in some areas. Maybe lost a little of the Strat quirkiness at the same time though. It's hard to say. Maybe not better but instead just different. Not a bad different IMHO.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    You can probably get one from Stewart McDonald.

I put one on a Squier Strat once. It definitely turned the whole guitar into a more resonant machine. I didn't keep the guitar long enough to really evaluate the change. Still it was an improvement in some areas. Maybe lost a little of the Strat quirkiness at the same time though. It's hard to say. Maybe not better but instead just different. Not a bad different IMHO.
    thanks spuds, i checked SM, nothing in the form of brass. is this a job a luthier can do from a blank piece of brass? also did it brighten up your guitar any? Guitar parts Resources offers brass nuts for the gibson, as well as adjustable brass nuts(kinda cool) but not the epi, as i believe the size is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171
    thanks spuds, i checked SM, nothing in the form of brass. is this a job a luthier can do from a blank piece of brass? also did it brighten up your guitar any? Guitar parts Resources offers brass nuts for the gibson, as well as adjustable brass nuts(kinda cool) but not the epi, as i believe the size is different.
    A skilled luthier should be able to make a brass nut. Brass is actually very easy to cut, as metals go. Machining it is a pleasure.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navvid
    A skilled luthier should be able to make a brass nut. Brass is actually very easy to cut, as metals go. Machining it is a pleasure.
    Great, ty nav. as a fabrication welder, lord only knows how many odd things ive had to fab up,machine and make, yet i cringe at the thought of trying to make a nut lol. i guess my next stop is a luthier. thanks ! Allen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171
    Great, ty nav. as a fabrication welder, lord only knows how many odd things ive had to fab up,machine and make, yet i cringe at the thought of trying to make a nut lol. i guess my next stop is a luthier. thanks ! Allen
    If you have any experience in fabrication, you can do this yourself. Try making your blank in the maximum dimensions of the existing nut, then stick it in a vice and take a mill file to it. Once you have the top contoured where you want it, use a scribe to start the string slots (I prefer to start any slot by making a mark with a nice, sharp exacto blade). Then a round needle file, or possibly a torch tip cleaning file set (good tip from Bloozcat) to shape the individual slots. In fact, now you got me thinking... what about copper (very easy to cut)? Titanium (very, very hard to cut)? Tungsten carbide (good luck...)?
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any experience in fabrication, you can do this yourself. Try making your blank in the maximum dimensions of the existing nut, then stick it in a vice and take a mill file to it. Once you have the top contoured where you want it, use a scribe to start the string slots (I prefer to start any slot by making a mark with a nice, sharp exacto blade). Then a round needle file, or possibly a torch tip cleaning file set (good tip from Bloozcat) to shape the individual slots. In fact, now you got me thinking... what about copper (very easy to cut)? Titanium (very, very hard to cut)? Tungsten carbide (good luck...)?
    yanno i have this 5 or 6lb slab of brass i use for a backing when filling in holes while welding.. i suppose i could give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know how it works out. I want to make one myself now, but I have too many projects in half finished states to open a whole new can of worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know how it works out. I want to make one myself now, but I have too many projects in half finished states to open a whole new can of worms.

if by chance you need a piece of brass, let me know, ill send you a slice of mine. the slab i got is roughly 1in thick x 6in x 8. ill rough it into shape while i got the tools out and you can finish it from there, im with ya on the unfinished projects.