Thread: my first mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default my first mod

Aside from adding EMG 81/85 pups @ 27 volts in my epi Lp standard 2 years ago,ive never done any mods of any kind . So this morning after a few hours of research i decided to bypass the tone pots and caps in the Epi. I soley use this guitar for hard rock/metal so since ive owned it, ive never used the tone pot on either pick-up, just the volume. With that said its a simple mod, a few snips, some solder and heat shrink tube and done deal. End result?
    After a few nervous minutes of wondering if i made a mistake for the attempt, i finally plugged it in.. With it switched to the bridge pick-up there was a noticable spike in treble and clarity, enough of a spike to warrant an added hint of low end on the EQ. ( i loved it).
    The neck pick-up had an added snarl to it,almost as if i had both neck and bridge pick-ups switched on before i bypassed the pots.
    Now with both picks switched on, there was just a distinct added treble and grit to it. Am i happy with the mod? YES!.. while i may or may not return the neck tone pot and cap to working form, I love the added spike and treble the mod has given the bridge pick-up.Well worth the 15-20 minutes and 0 cost.
    Allen

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. The best part about the mod is that you can re-hook up one or both down the road if you are not happy with the tone.