Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Clip-on tuners

Thread: Clip-on tuners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clip-on tuners

I'm looking to get one of these for my acoustic. It may get used for my daughter's violin as well. They seem to range in price from around UKP10-45. Any recommendations?

The more recent Deans have a built-in tuner, but mine doesn't.
    Guitars: Gordon Smith GS2 electric, Dean Performer E acoustic
    Amps: Roland Cube 80x, Peavey Backstage 110
    Other: Korg Pandora 2, Zoom H4

Post Thanks / Like

I've had several clip on tuners, and I can heartily recommend the Korg AW1.
    I believe Korg has updated the design to a slightly larger AW2, which is in fact slightly improved, but I don't own it. A quick search online makes it appear that they are both readily available.

Plus:
    -It's smaller and easier to position than others
    -extremely accurate (most importantly!)
    -comes with two different clips to allow for different types of instruments (will go from your guitar headstock, to your trumpet bell, to your music stand)
    -comes with a great case to hold onto the clip you're NOT using, and for storage

minus:
    -the display isn't as bright as I'd like, in some instances it takes a bit of maneuvering to read easily, but the ball joint makes that doable (this is one of the improvements in the AW2, i believe)
    -not inexpensive

Every other tuner I've had has failed to soon, or been a bit too big to leave in place, or had a readout that could serve as a flashlight. I've noted that I often see folks playing with this tuner on the headstock, it's so small and light, that it's not an issue to leave it there.

for example

Happy hunting
    Last edited by kidsmoke; February 3rd, 2010 at 08:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tio, Thanks for that. I see two versions of the AW-2. The AW-2G model is nearly half the price of the other with the only difference seeming to be that it comes with a single clip suitable for guitars. I think I'll go for that one.

Post Thanks / Like

cool. I think you'll be happy with it. Price is definitely better than when I picked mine up a couple years back. NOW I'm irritated!
    I prefer black, also.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Onboard reasearch Corp's intellitouch tuner. ive had it over 3yrs and its still on the same battery. works great, unless you tune down. it has a hard time reconizing the low E string if you tune down to C. but otherwise its excellent

Post Thanks / Like

IMT-500 intelli here.works great,very accurate at 440(standard tuning)
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    IMT-500 intelli here.works great,very accurate at 440(standard tuning)
    I second that, since it's the same one I have. It's great.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an IMT 550, it lasted bout 3 months and crapped out(screen would stay lit, no data). The shop I got it from readily exchanged it for another, thinking it was a lemon. 6 weeks later it crapped out. I took it back again, they said they'd stopped carrying them because they were having so many problems with them. I LOVED the functionality of them, but for me, they wouldn't hold up.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the Korg from StringsDirect (UK) yesterday and got it today! By the time I included some strings and a cable I had enough for free next-day delivery.

The tuner is tiny, about the size of my thumb. Looks like it should be readable. The clip looks a little fragile, so I'll be careful where I keep it in the guitar bag. I'll have a play when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

so steve, what's the verdict?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo

so steve, what's the verdict?
    I'm happy with the Korg. It's sensitive and easy to read. It's actually so sensitive that I managed to tune my electric with it clipped on the headstock when I had it it microphone mode rather than piezo. It works better in piezo mode. I don't need the light at home, but there are 2 brightness settings that will be useful anywhere less well lit.

We also used it to tune my daughter's violin.

Post Thanks / Like

cool! hope the clip holds up.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan