Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I's a perfeshunnel writer!

Thread: I's a perfeshunnel writer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I's a perfeshunnel writer!

OK, the check ain't cleared yet, but after writing for at least 15 years, here's my first paid gig, and my first regular column. I cut out the ad on the second page for Sapp's Pawn & Gun.

Sorry about the huge size. (If I had a nickel for every time I've had to say that over the years... I'd be broke.) But otherwise it gets illegible real quick. Plus you lose the hilarity of my photo.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Congrats Brian! Sounds like you more than deserved it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

That's fantastic, Brian. Good on ya! Good review too, other than the lack of the words "funner" and " worser".
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    That's fantastic, Brian. Good on ya! Good review too, other than the lack of the words "funner" and " worser".
    (makes note: use worser and funner)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats man, well done !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Very nicely done! Congrats!
    Maybe I missed it earlier but is this in the paper or somewhere that can be read online?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by peachhead
    Very nicely done! Congrats!
    Maybe I missed it earlier but is this in the paper or somewhere that can be read online?
    It's in a brand new magazine called Our Town, the Gainesville edition. This is the inaugural edition. The same publisher already puts out similar magazines with the same name, but focusing on either Alachua/High Springs or Newberry/Jonesville, some other smaller towns in our county. The editor for all 3 magazines is an old college buddy and bandmate of mine.

I didn't think it was online, but I just went back and checked, and I'll be darned if it's not! Go here:

http://www.visitourtowns.com/editions#1

Click on the "View Digital Edition" blue button over on the lower right, and you can page through. The above story is way towards the back, pages 92-93. Iirc you can put the page number in and skip ahead. As you can see it's a general readership "yay Gainesville" type magazine. The other mags I've written for were cooler, but didn't pay, haha.

Not that this is much, basically I think (don't actually get paid until next week) I could take the family out to dinner for what I get for each column.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's awesomer than peanut butter on toast!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    That's awesomer than peanut butter on toast!
    Hey, let's not get ridiculous now.....

Seriously though, that's way cool. I'll have to bookmark the site so I can sneak up on your future columns.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Brian!

Do you make a writer's face when you write?

You know, biting your tongue with a fierce look of determination and concentration?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Very cool Brian!

Do you make a writer's face when you write?

You know, biting your tongue with a fierce look of determination and concentration?
    Hmm, I shall have to get a mirror and pay more attention when doing the next column, haha!

I'm guessing I look more like the doofus in the column author pic though. That was my intention while posing anyhow.