Thread: Dumb Question?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dumb Question?

Hello All, the bottom tone control on my lp is loose and needs to be tightend down, how do you remove the volume/tone knobs? (without replacing them)! thanks.
    Last edited by yeti66; February 7th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

the knobs, unless you can see little screws in there, should just pull off.

(heh, thats what she said(minus the screws.))

underneath the knob is the pot (potentiometer) but you already know that.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of ways. Some put a flat shoe lace under the knob and gently pull up. i have use a butter knife with some tape on it so as to not scratch the guitar and gently pry it up while rotating the knob. You need even pressure all around. They should just pull straight up if your fingers are strong enough.
    The Pot is probably loose. There is a retaining collar nut that holds it in place.
    I would make sure you pull the back cover. If the pot is loose it may have rotated and the wires could be touching or tangled up. Just make sure when you reinstall the control that it is oriented the same as the other one.
    I usually turn them full off and put the knob back on.
    It isn't hard.
    Does you LP have the pointers on it? They don't pull up so don't try.
    Last edited by ZMAN; February 7th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

A t-shirt, cloth or shoelace under the knob - then lifting firmly but gently should do the trick.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    A t-shirt, cloth or shoelace under the knob - then lifting firmly but gently should do the trick.
    Exactly what I've done (T shirt). Work the knob back and forth with your hand as you pull up. Just be patient and work slowly. Some of the knobs are really tight.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All, sadly though nothings working and I see no screw! I just dont get it. its like the knobs glued on?

Post Thanks / Like

Loop a wide shoe string under the knob. Pull up hard while working the knob side to side / back and forth with your free hand.

The knob is just a friction fit.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.