Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tele project coming!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tele project coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele project

Hello,

Ordered a Tele swamp ash body today with the help from our honorable Bloozcat! Will be taking my time with this one, can't rush nitro lacquer. It is a Mighty Mite body.
    Used a white pickguard on my Jazzmaster, not sure what I will use on this one. Maybe Tort.

Here is a pic.

Last edited by M29; March 11th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I cant wait to follow along on this one. When the weather breaks I will be doing one of these too....mine will have rear routes for the controls tho and no guard at all.

What neck are you using?
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking slab of ash there M29

Should be a fun project.....
    We'll be watching

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us up on yours too Kazz, the rear routes sound good!

Thanks guitardanny777,

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I was referring to before M29. A tinted clear look kinda like this 54 Tele...which is undoubtedly tinted from the lacquer yellowing with age:

Yours would look better because of the nice ash grain...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

nice arse.............errrrr I meant ash
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got some grain filler on the Tele body. Not totally sure where I am going to go with this thing yet. It will take a while to build up the clear lacquer so I have time to mull over what pickups and what not I want to go with.

I am not looking for a country sounding Tele, I want something more rocky and something that would cover it all. I really liked the single coil neck and bridge humbucking on my Squier '51. I could go that route with this and re-route the bridge for a humbucking. I don't know if I want to stray off from a standard Tele with singles at both ends though. Decisions decisions decisions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a bit tempted to do a similar project with a Mighty Mite sometime this next year. My problem is not having the slightest idea about setting up the neck to body joint to create the best angle/height vs bridge, etc, as well as how to apply nitro lacquer.

Also, I'd be tempted to cut in a little arm rest bevel and belly cut, for function over form. Tele-philes might hang me for that!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

M29 you could also get a stacked humbucker that is in a tele configuration....tele looks but bucker tone......they are also coil splittable so you would have the best of both worlds.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Tig I like the idea of the body contours too. I am going to keep it pretty simple though, I don't want to work on this one too long. The lacquer will take long enough. It will take a while to gather up all the hardware to as moolah is somewhat tight of late.

Kazz That is a good idea I will check out some utubes on the stacked buckers. Thanks!

M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Also, I'd be tempted to cut in a little arm rest bevel and belly cut, for function over form. Tele-philes might hang me for that!
    My old Charvel Model 7 had a belly cut but not an arm one because of the binding. I'd prefer the cut and dump the binding. Oh, and M29, I had similar thoughts of doing an upscale Squier 51 with a Tele body. 24 frets, maple neck. I need to stop talking like this . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking more and more on the '51 type pickup arrangement Rev. I think I will let the tucks go though...

Keep talkin Rev keep talkin

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a rosewood Mighty Mite neck off the bay and decided to replace the rosewood fretboard with an ebony board. I really like ebony for a fretboard and I wanted 22 frets which I could not find so now I can make my own.

I also decided to put abalone dots in it. These can be seen in the small clear plastic bag. The ebony board is a StewMac pre-slotted board.

I haven't decided yet how I am going to take the original board off. Probably just plane it off to make sure I get a good flat surface for the new board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    I bought a rosewood Mighty Mite neck off the bay and decided to replace the rosewood fretboard with an ebony board. I really like ebony for a fretboard and I wanted 22 frets which I could not find so now I can make my own.

I also decided to put abalone dots in it. These can be seen in the small clear plastic bag. The ebony board is a StewMac pre-slotted board.

I haven't decided yet how I am going to take the original board off. Probably just plane it off to make sure I get a good flat surface for the new board.

This is gonna be really cool. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kat!!
    I have taken on way too many projects right now but hopefully I can keep this going in a timely manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Projects like this make me wish I had a shed, or garage, or, well you get the picture..

You're a braver man than me planning on doing abalone dot inlays. I assume thats going to take some serious precision craftsmanship.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ch0jin!

The dots are not too bad. Just have to drill a hole and glue em in. With a proper drill bit they fit good.. The problem is in not letting the drill get out of control and coming out the back of the neck............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Thanks Kat!!
    I have taken on way too many projects right now but hopefully I can keep this going in a timely manner.
    You have to. I live vicariously through your woodworking skills.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

M29 has two essential skills for success:

The ability...

And the will to try...

Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast