Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rank newbie: More guitar styles OR better amps+effects?

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line: do you feel inspired when you play on your current rig.....

If so, then don't give in to the dark side.... in a year, you'll want totally different crap.... trust me.......

Spend the money on knowledge.....books, DVD's, a 6 week stint with a live, local instructor (still alot of value in this, and lessons are pretty cheap with the economy....)

Get good at improv, thus, the looper suggestions above... another way to get good at improv, on the cheap, is to download in MP3 format, what they call backing tracks. Essentially, its a song with the main guitar parts ripped out.

Most backing tracks you find are good, some are in cheesy MIDI, but the track is still usually dead on.. google guitar backing tracks......

With these, you can play em on your PC, over some fair speakers, and play your guitar through your amp.... boom.....no purchase necessary, and your hair stays in place

Then you save the money, for the stuff you don't yet know you want, next year......
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moander
    Then you save the money, for the stuff you don't yet know you want, next year......

I am starting to like the same amp modeling as you do (COSM), and I have an oncologist on the payroll -had for a some years now, a good thing, so I allow myself some minor luxuries...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know if I can help with settings.. I assume you got a clean amp for this?

Post Thanks / Like

The idea of laying down a rhythm track and playing to it is a good one.
    But I bet there is good recording software for about the same price as a looper. I would consider that a better and more versatile long term investment.

I have heard lots of great players sound absolutely wonderful going through crappy equipment.
    But I have yet to hear a crappy player sound good because of the gear they played through

Post Thanks / Like

The rhythm track thing is fine if you're doing original music....

I find backing tracks which are essentially cover tunes with guitar parts ripped out. Like Karaoke only guitar parts gone....

As backing tracks get more popular, there will be more quality one out there, but I find a ton now.....

This saves me $$ on software.....but I do covers....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    I just picked up one of these today. Unfortunately it is my wife's birthday present to me and I can't use it until the day. Played around with it a bit in the store and it seems like a terrific toy ...err... practice tool.
    syo, have you got to open up your Boss JS-8 yet? If so, what do you think? It looks really cool. (BTW, happy birthday!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12