Thread: Peavy 3120 Replacement Tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Peavy 3120 Replacement Tubes

Hi All,

I recently purchased the Peavey 3120, 120 watt tube head and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! It's been awhile since I have owned a tube amp and seriously this is the best amp I have EVER owned!!!

I bought the amp used from a music shop and it had JJ 12AX7's (ECC83-S) in the pre-amp section and JJ EL34's in the power amp section and was thinking of using the JJ's as "back-up" tubes. BTW the amp is switchable between 6L6's and the EL34's.

So, I'm looking for a replacement set of tubes and maybe something to "hot-rod" the 3120 a bit (...yeah I know, this thing is high-gain already but why not go balls ALL THE WAY OUT!), but in general I just want a "back-up" set of tubes in case I'm playing somewhere and I blow something out and don't want to be caught with my pants down so to speak!

For the pre-amp I was thinking of going with the Groove Tube Gold Series GT-ECC83-S and the power amp section I was looking at the Groove Tube Gold Series GT-EL-34M XF2 Dual Getters!

If I used these tubes (Grooves) would I have to get the amp re-biased, or could I drop in any 12AX7 (ECC83) or EL34 tubes and have no other modifications to do? I have been reading up on this and am not quite sure if I would or not or which direction to even go...I do have an e-mail into Peavey Customer Service to see what they recommend.

Any help or direction that could be given would be GREATLY appreciated!

Schwef

Post Thanks / Like

The 12AX7 preamp tubes are self biasing, so you can swap those out with other 12AX7 varieties at will. The EL34 power tubes are fixed bias, meaning that there is a negative bias supply that must be adjusted by a tech whenever changing out the EL34s.

Groove Tubes aren't any better than any other tubes, GT is a tester/rebrander, not a manufacturer. Tubes are only made in a few factories in the world and GT gets their tubes the same place as everybody else.

You might want to check out Eurotubes. Bob has a great reputation, and will give you good advice on how to retube your amp. bob@eurotubes.com

He sells JJ tubes, and may even have a replacement set.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwef
    Hi All,

I recently purchased the Peavey 3120, 120 watt tube head and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! It's been awhile since I have owned a tube amp and seriously this is the best amp I have EVER owned!!!

I bought the amp used from a music shop and it had JJ 12AX7's (ECC83-S) in the pre-amp section and JJ EL34's in the power amp section and was thinking of using the JJ's as "back-up" tubes. BTW the amp is switchable between 6L6's and the EL34's.

So, I'm looking for a replacement set of tubes and maybe something to "hot-rod" the 3120 a bit (...yeah I know, this thing is high-gain already but why not go balls ALL THE WAY OUT!), but in general I just want a "back-up" set of tubes in case I'm playing somewhere and I blow something out and don't want to be caught with my pants down so to speak!

For the pre-amp I was thinking of going with the Groove Tube Gold Series GT-ECC83-S and the power amp section I was looking at the Groove Tube Gold Series GT-EL-34M XF2 Dual Getters!

If I used these tubes (Grooves) would I have to get the amp re-biased, or could I drop in any 12AX7 (ECC83) or EL34 tubes and have no other modifications to do? I have been reading up on this and am not quite sure if I would or not or which direction to even go...I do have an e-mail into Peavey Customer Service to see what they recommend.

Any help or direction that could be given would be GREATLY appreciated!

Schwef

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent...thanks for the insight!!!

Schwef

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Bob at Eurotubes
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I went through Eurotubes as well. I told them I wanted the highest gain 12AX7 I could get and they sent me an ECC83-S. They were real nice to work with. In fact, let me dig around for the thread where I was asking for advice too, because I had no clue what I was looking for.

I don't know who this "Bob" is, I corresponded with Eddie from Eurotubes.

Eddie > Bob. lol Just kidding.

Check out my thread, eddie explained a bit about the different tubes: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14067

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of partial to the reissue Tung Sol tubes. Their 12AX7's get universally great reviews as an outstanding new manufacture tube. Their EL34 does as well. Another power tube that is interchangable with the EL34 is the KT77. The reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT77 would be my choice in that tube.

Keep in mind that these tubes are made in Russia under the resurrected names of Tung Sol and Genalex. Despite this, they're still pretty good tubes, and cost a heck of a lot less than NOS tubes made by the original manufacturers.

Check out this review on these tubes:

http://thetubestore.com/el34review.html
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.