Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5E3 Amp here!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5E3 Amp here!!!

Well I got the Mission Tweed Deluxe 5E3 kit tonight and man it sure looks good. I got most of the board populated tonight and will continue the work tommorrow. These things are really interesting to build! When I first went through all the parts I was thnking man you served up an adult portion for yourself this time Mark LOL. Now that Im under way its going real smooth, just have to take it slow and triple check everything you do as there are LOTS of color coded SMALL parts as well as capacitors that must go in the right way. Still many connections to go. I'll be getting some pix up on photobucket for you guys to see how I progress. Now I just need to get her built and hopefully not see any "Blue smoke" and let the Mojo escape! The Tweed cabinet for this is real nice a little smaller than my Blues deluxe, all pine wood, oxblood grill and laquered and even has a nice real leather handle to boot. Should be a nice little tone monster when Im done.
    Last edited by Mark; September 23rd, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Mark! Somehow I think you will need it
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, that sounds so cool, building your own amp. Keep us posted on how it goes. Can't wait to see some pics and hear some clips.
    What's up next?
    (will we soon be hearing about a Mark-all Plexi? )

Post Thanks / Like

I just glanced at the Mission 5E3 Kit Home page & this is what it said

What our customers are saying:
    "Just wanted to confirm the kit arrived safely today via FedEx. Can't wait to get started, thanks for your assistance."
    David 12-18-05

What? No testimonials on how easy it was to build or on how *SWEET* it sounded when finished?!? Just....

"...ummm got my kit!"

Maybe you're the first one who actually tried to build the thing!

Good luck!!!

http://www.missionamps.com/5E3kit.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard

What? No testimonials on how easy it was to build or on how *SWEET* it sounded when finished?!? Just....

"...ummm got my kit!"

Maybe you're the first one who actually tried to build the thing!

Good luck!!!

http://www.missionamps.com/5E3kit.shtml
    TOT
    Look here. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...112+Combo/10/1

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Yeah I found those Spud. I was just goofin' on an obscenely silly way to market an amp kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. One point for you. I should have known oh clever one.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. One point for you. I should have known oh clever one.
    So what is the score now?

Spudz: 4

tOt: pi

Post Thanks / Like

quote:Just wanted to confirm the kit arrived safely today via FedEx. Can't wait to get started, thanks for your assistance."
    David 12-18-05

Some folks have a hard time containing their "exhuberence" LOL

Funny little sidenote. Im showing my wife the kit explaining how it works and I take out a tube and tell her now this is where the "Mojo" comes from, and ask her do you remember seeing these when you were a kid. To which she says Oh yea I remember those!....They're "sparkplugs" !!!!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Funny little sidenote. Im showing my wife the kit explaining how it works and I take out a tube and tell her now this is where the "Mojo" comes from, and ask her do you remember seeing these when you were a kid. To which she says Oh yea I remember those!....They're "sparkplugs" !!!!
    Man how old *is* she?!? They made cars with vacuum tubes back in the day?
    Must'a sounded sweet out on the road.

"Put the pedal to the metal & see if we can get some nice carburator breakup!"

Good thing they remembered to put the mojo in the kit! I hate it when they
    forget to put the mojo in. A guitar, amp, pedal...with no mojo is a sad, sad thing.

So Mark, is building the amp all about soldering and soldering and soldering...?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually its like a puzzle but you have the key to where thew pieces go. First get the components populated on the board with all the leads then check, check and check again! Then solder, solder....my trusty iron is still cold. Probably ready for solder later today. I

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Actually its like a puzzle but you have the key to where thew pieces go. First get the components populated on the board with all the leads then check, check and check again! Then solder, solder....my trusty iron is still cold. Probably ready for solder later today. I
    So, how far along are you? Do you have an ETA:

"Estimated Time of Amphage"?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably by next weekend, Ill be working on it today as well and mow da lawn but tommorrow Im goin with the wife taking out the Jetski. So that just leaves me after work this week. Im taking it slow and meticulous, haste make sparks and that aint good. Heres a similiar layout from Weber if you havent seen it yet
    https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5e3_layout.jpg

as you can see there are lots of opportunities to screw up LOL. Gots to keep that Mojo in thar.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark that is simply awesome. I share your enthusiasm and excitement over your project. Reading your first description of the kit with the oxblood grill and lacquered tweed and pine cab sent chills down my spine man! I can't wait to see what you've accomplished and yeah post some pics as soon as you can. I hope you've also taken some as you went along? Keep us at the edge of our seat and keep the reports coming!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Heres the cabinet and there other pix of the build so far and other goofy stuff Im into as well.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...gAnch=imgAnch1

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

Is that a 2 input/channel amp?

Also, what planets do you contact with that computer? Is that a V8 with a Hemi in that thing? I've never seen such a tricked out computer. Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

The 5E3 has 4 inputs on 2 channels bright and normal a vol for each channel one tone for both. The sweet thing is the vol for the channel your NOT using alters the tone of the one that is in use, get some sweet tones that way. The 57 Tweed RI by Fender has similiar traits which I like. What drew me to this model is its only 15-18 watts which is all I need and if I put 6K6 tubes in it that will put me at around 7-8 watts for home jamming but with the nice tones and early breakup these are known for. After a few years on the road and being 51 now I wanna save whats left of my hearing, too close to too many 100watt Marshall stacks for too long has that effect.

Thats the computer I built earlier this year its a AMD 4800 dual core on a DFI Lanparty motherboard with an ATI X1900XTX 512 meg video card, 2 gigs of OCZ PC-4000 gold XTC memory and both Video card and Processor are water cooled. Im using an EMU 1820m sound card for audio. It has its own radiator and reservoir for the water and its real quiet. I do some gaming and I used to race a NASCAR simulation in on line races, I also enjoy flight sims and all that stuff requires horsepower. Plus Ive done my share of overclocking, its one fast pooter!...it aint no Dell for sure. Oh and as far as contacting planets...I reach out to which ever ones I want to LMAO
    Last edited by Mark; September 23rd, 2006 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

Also, what planets do you contact with that computer? Is that a V8 with a Hemi in that thing? I've never seen such a tricked out computer. Wow!
    YOW! I was gonna say the same thing. What a water-cooled wonder that is.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that cabinet looks sweet. We MUST get to hear some clips once you have her made!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast