Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My new CV 50s strat

Thread: My new CV 50s strat

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My new CV 50s strat

Here are some pictures of my new CV strat, aged white pickguard loaded with Fender Custom Shop Texas Special pickups straight from the shop I bought it from, at my request and of course, cost. Worth it. It sounds incredible. New pots, caps, switch, and jack of high quality.

Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool addition Very nice AXE.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

looking good!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

You know, no shop I visited had any of the CV's in the color schemes other than bursts. Nice to see one of these - purty! I imagine the Texas pups are hotter than the stocks...? I have to say that I love the tone of the stock pups in mine.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very sweet! I'm sure it sounds like heaven, too. I like the blue.

// Well, I'm still on the fence between a 50's and 60's CV Strat. I'll buy one within the next 2 or 3 days. I'd love a 50's with its maple neck, but with the 60's Alnico pickups instead. I'll likely go with the 50's and change pickups or even a loaded pick guard later.

Now, should I go with the 2-tone burst or the white with ugly (replaceable) gold pick guard.... Hmmmm........
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Get the 50s and play it for a few months before you make a decision to change the pickups. They really are quite good and have their own unique flavor. You might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Very sweet! I'm sure it sounds like heaven, too. I like the blue.

// Well, I'm still on the fence between a 50's and 60's CV Strat. I'll buy one within the next 2 or 3 days. I'd love a 50's with its maple neck, but with the 60's Alnico pickups instead. I'll likely go with the 50's and change pickups or even a loaded pick guard later.

Now, should I go with the 2-tone burst or the white with ugly (replaceable) gold pick guard.... Hmmmm........

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

SWEET! I'm a fan of those 50's anlico 3 pups!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I'll likely go with a loaded pick guard later.
    I forget who I mentioned this to, but again, be aware the CV's pickguard is unique to that guitar per the screw holes and won't match up with your standard Strat replacement.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Duff did you finally get that new Nikon camera. Certainly a lot of guitars pics lately. LOL
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cv

No Nikon DSLR yet, this is a great Canon point and shoot.

I have a stock CV fifties that sounds great, probably as good as the Texas Specials in the new CV fifties LPBlue, but just different.

I would agree with Spud. Keep it stock. Give it a chance to be what it is and learn about it and the pickup heights, action, etc. Could be a collectors item some day, they sound so good and are really well built.

A guy was playing a CV sixties the other day that I pointed out to him and he bought it; thru a Fender SCXD. He had been playing one of the new Fender American Specials and the CV sixties sounded better to both of us at a five hundred dollar difference. He got it for 298.

You will probably love the stock CV sixties pickups a real lot, all BS aside.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    I would agree with Spud. Keep it stock. Give it a chance to be what it is and learn about it and the pickup heights, action, etc. Could be a collectors item some day, they sound so good and are really well built.
    I agree with you 100%
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Get the 50s and play it for a few months before you make a decision to change the pickups. They really are quite good and have their own unique flavor. You might like it.
    I think I'll wait like you suggest. I played the new CV 50's tonight before I went to work and really liked what I heard. It pulled off some sweet tones playing over some David Gilmour backing tracks, thanks in part to my BYOC Mouse and OD-2 pedals. I never got these tones from my trusty P-90's or Seymour Duncan HB's!

I will change the super thick, white pick guard out with a mint green one. Most of the holes should line up, and I don't mind drilling holes in guitars for the rest! (don't worry, I have a few decades of wood working under my belt)
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the CV 50's strat (olympic white) yesterday. CAN'T WAIT!!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just replaced the wimpy stock tremolo block with a heavy brass one from GFS on my CV 50's Strat. I wasn't expecting much difference (hoping, not expecting), but was pleased that the sustain is quite noticeably longer now. Installation was a breeze for my first time to pull apart a Strat trem assy. However, if I want to start using the tremolo arm, I'll have to ovalize the existing trem plate's hole, as the block doesn't match up for the arm.

I also replaced the stock tree with a roller tree, just for fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced the wimpy stock tremolo block with a heavy brass one from GFS on my CV 50's Strat. I wasn't expecting much difference (hoping, not expecting), but was pleased that the sustain is quite noticeably longer now. Installation was a breeze for my first time to pull apart a Strat trem assy. However, if I want to start using the tremolo arm, I'll have to ovalize the existing trem plate's hole, as the block doesn't match up for the arm.

I also replaced the stock tree with a roller tree, just for fun.
    That's good news. Would you mind posting the part number for those that wish to do the same...namely me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that the GFS steel trem blocks can be purchased with a matching bridge plate, saddles and trem bar so that you can avoid the mismatched hole problem. I didn't know they were also making a brass block now...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That's good news. Would you mind posting the part number for those that wish to do the same...namely me.
    I used the "Import 10.5 mm Spaced" one in the middle...
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/upstandbrtrb.html

This one:
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/im10spbrtrbl.html

Maybe someone with more Strat/Squier experience can tell us if there is a better choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesn't this one come with a tinted '50s neck?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz