Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayer's apology

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Why the double standard? How come it's okay for Lenny Bruce, Redd Foxx, Richard Prior, Robin Williams, Howard Stern and so in to talk like this but it's not for John? I think people just need to lighten up all the way around. I actually thought he was funny. So what if he doesn't sleep with black women. That's his right and I feel it's his right to say it anyway he wants. I thought the description was pretty vivid. I got it. He has a very creative and artistic mind so he thinks in pictures and that's how he describes his world.

I agree - not losing any sleep over his comments. There are a hell of a lot of more important things in the world.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK

With the right of free speech comes a big responsibility of proper use no matter if you think so or not and it applies to all of us no matter if your a day laborer, comedian, priest, or 3rd grade math teacher.
    There's the heart of the matter - free speech is a sacred privilege, one that many people struggling over centuries have given their lives for. It demeans the greatness of the privilege to demean it by applying it to careless or purposefully hateful or destructive purposes - even if such use may be deemed legal. Use it responsibly!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    There's the heart of the matter - free speech is a sacred privilege, one that many people struggling over centuries have given their lives for. It demeans the greatness of the privilege to demean it by applying it to careless or purposefully hateful or destructive purposes - even if such use may be deemed legal. Use it responsibly!
    If you can't use it the way you want - then it isn't free. Walking away from it, turning off the station or whatever is the choice of the person that doesn't want to hear it.

Like all of this - I don't want to hear it so I'm out of here.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    If you can't use it the way you want - then it isn't free. Walking away from it, turning off the station or whatever is the choice of the person that doesn't want to hear it.

Like all of this - I don't want to hear it so I'm out of here.
    Unfortunately, many people like the benefits of freedom without accepting the responsibility that comes with it. No one in a 'free' society has the right, in reality, to do just what they like when they like without regard for the consequences or the affects that it has on others - you can't yell 'Fire!' in a crowded theater because you feel you should be free to do so... that has been judged by a free society as an abuse of freedom. But there are plenty of people who like to push the limits for no other reason than they want to exercise their 'freedom'.

EDIT: Yikes - after posting this I realized that we are really veering into the political. If this needs to be removed by a mod, I will not be offended...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    I am done with it getting back to all things axe related.
    You know, I've thought about what you're saying quite a bit more tonight, and I think I agree.

I was trying to say this in my original post, but I think I watered it down too much. Yes we all screw up, and yes I can forgive. However, I don't think Mayer saying this is OK. At all. Freedom of speech or not, he is an a$$. Glossing over it by saying we all do it or that people will forget about it or that there are more important things is never an OK reason not to care or to accept abuses. Human decency and responsibility is a simple enough concept, should we care to try for it.

</soapbox>

Anyway, thanks to both Robert and Maxi for bringing this to my attention.
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Aside from his talent as a musician, I find him to be a pretty classless individual.

The things he said about Jessica Simpson are typical of this. Cruel, insensitive and just plain hurtful comments about someone he briefly dated say a lot more about John than they do about the woman...and it's not just Jessica Simpson he's made disparaging remarks about. I don't know why any decent woman would date him given his lack of self control. He acts like a 14-year old on the playground...only his playground is the world stage.

I'll bet his mother is really proud every time she reads another of his interviews.

AGREED
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Just watch this hysterical Chris Rock video and ask yourself why people can laugh at it but not at an off the cuff remark by Mayer
    The difference is that when Rock talks he's talking as a BLACK man about blacks. It's a whole different story, as to audience reaction, when you're talking about your own group. The audience listens to Rock as one of US, and yeah, that does make a difference in how they react to somebody.

Listen from about 2:30 to 4:35, some of the funniest, most honest stuff you'll ever hear.

Post Thanks / Like

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm a bit of a fence-sitter in the Mayer matter, but I do find it fascinating and pleasing that all of you have become so polarized over the issue, and you've all said some very pertinent and well thought out things here. Bravo, Fretters! Things like this make me happy to be a part of our little community.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
    Also, People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones....

Hilarious Chris Rock clip too

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The things he said about Jessica Simpson are typical of this. Cruel, insensitive and just plain hurtful comments about someone he briefly dated say a lot more about John than they do about the woman
    Maybe I read his comments wrong, but it sounded like he was saying she's a sexual dynamo. That's hardly disparaging.

That said, I've always thought he was a douchebag although the skits he did on the Chapelle Show were really funny..

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was "Sexual Napalm" (from watching TMZ)

I saw a TMZ guy ask Jessica about this and she laughed her butt off when they brought it up. I'd take that comment as a compliment if someone said that about me!

Anyway, I could care less what John Mayer says, I just chimed in for my previous "grass houses" joke

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone says something stupid now and then. Sometimes they wish they could take it back, sometimes it comes out funny.
    And some people are really good at doing it repeatedly.
    If they don't learn from it or use discretion, they become known as a$$holes.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Maybe I read his comments wrong, but it sounded like he was saying she's a sexual dynamo. That's hardly disparaging.
    Maybe it's a generational thing (I certainly hope not), but I was raised to be a gentleman. And gentlemen don't speak of such private intimacies as John Mayer does. Oh, I've certainly had acquaintances who have, and I've been in enough locker rooms to have heard it many times before, but it's still inexcusable. Just imagine if it was your daughter that Mayer was speaking about. Or maybe your sister or a good friend.

As to the free speech right, there has to be self regulation in the exercise of this right. In the classic example, is it OK to scream FIRE!, FIRE! in a crowded theater and then disavow any responsibility for those who are then trampled to death because of your actions?
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Blooz, that is a very interesting discussion that I spent almost a semester of law school studying. You bring up the classic example of cause for restriction of free speech. That discussion could get into politics I suppose. I would be happy to have a discussion about it off hook.

But beyond what is legal to say, there is the issue of what is right to say. As my Dad, always pointed out, just because an action is legal does not make it right. I am a big JM fan, and think he is better than these comments personally. I hope he learns and moves on.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; February 16th, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's a generational thing (I certainly hope not), but I was raised to be a gentleman. And gentlemen don't speak of such private intimacies as John Mayer does. Oh, I've certainly had acquaintances who have, and I've been in enough locker rooms to have heard it many times before, but it's still inexcusable. Just imagine if it was your daughter that Mayer was speaking about. Or maybe your sister or a good friend.
    Right, not the gentlemanly thing to do, I agree. That being said, I've been in enough gyms and bars to hear guys talk that kind of stuff. However, there's a HUGE difference between BS'g with 10 pals and saying stuff in a venue so that EVERYBODY knows what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Blooz, that is a very interesting discussion that I spent almost a semester of law school studying. You bring up the classic example of cause for restriction of free speech. That discussion could get into politics I suppose. I would be happy to have a discussion about it off hook.

But beyond what is legal to say, there is the issue of what is right to say. As my Dad, always pointed out, just because an action is legal does not make it right. I am a big JM fan, and think he is better than these comments personally. I hope he learns and moves on.
    Ah, yes...Humanities Philosophy class...

What often gets lost in the discussion is the era in which the Constitution was written and the mores of the society then (hmmm...an anthopology discussion too!). Civility was a given expectation. They were gentleman and ladies then. Even the barbarity of war was conducted by gentlemanly rules. So, personal responsibility in the exercise of the first amendment was expected as well.

Perhaps John Mayer never had the benefit of having been taught the manners of a civil society. It doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad guy, just one who's a little uncouth. I hope he has a friend or someone he looks up to who cares enough about him to take him aside and speak to him about it. I don't dislike John Mayer - I don't even know him. But I do dislike some of his behaviors.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; February 16th, 2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: correct typo in my quote
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow SVL -- editing others' posts in the pursuit of perfect grammar?? You ARE hardcore!
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Wow SVL -- editing others' posts in the pursuit of perfect grammar?? You ARE hardcore!
    LOL! No, not Blooz's, my typo!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast