Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayer's apology

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mayer's apology

Exiting the media game?

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! He got pretty choked up.

I dig John and I don't really care what he said. He's right though. It's like someone is always gunning for you when you get to the level he is at and I wish that stupid sort of persecution would just quit. Who really cares what he said? In 50 years nobody is going to remember and in 200 it will just be a joke. It's so petty what people latch on to in order to make themselves feel better. I see plenty of it from people who aren't successful always trying to find fault in those that are. It's like they want those successful people to fail so that they can feel better about themselves. I'm just tired of it all.

John - I don't care what you say. Just keep playing your guitar and if you want to be crusty that's alright with me because I hear the truth from your instrument and your music.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

HERE IS WHAT HE SAID!

Playboy: Do black women throw themselves at you?

John Mayer : I don’t think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a f—kin’ David Duke c–k. I’m going to start dating separately from my dick.

He tried to be slick and when he realized he F'ED up he then tried to clean it up.

John Mayer:
    Someone asked me the other day, 'What does it feel like now to have a 'hood pass?' " he told Playboy. "

And by the way, it's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a 'hood pass, you could call it a n---a pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a 'hood pass if you really have a 'hood pass? But I said, 'I can't really have a 'hood pass.' I've never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, 'We're full.' "

Once again tryng to be slick AKA HIP!
    He's not new to the media he knows how the the game gets played and what he can say and can not say and get away with it, stupid is as stupid does sometimes.

He can play his Behind off but his mouth needs to think as quick as his fingers not as quick as his lack of common sense.

When will folks learn to just shut up and play. ROTFLMAO @ his stupidity.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do hope he means what he said in his apology. As a musician I hold him in very high regard, some of his music from the JM3 and Continumn records re-ignited my love for the electric guitar and as a result has had a massive influence on my own playing style.

But I remember posting here a year or two ago that he needs to just shut up and play music. Nothing teaches you in life like your own mistakes so hopefully he means what he said and will from now on just make great music.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd guess he didn't mean any harm, and was just talking "clever" (crap) in the interview, which obviously was a mistake. He has apologized sincerely for it, which should be enough. His recent interview in Guitar World exposed how deep he can be, which says much more than a screw up in Playboy.

Edit: After reading so many comments about what Mayer has said in the past caught me a little off guard. I didn't know about his history of being a jerk! I guess I don't keep up with that kind of stuff. It sounds like he needs to grow up.

I'd give him the simple advice from the Frank Zappa album title, "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar".
    Last edited by Tig; February 12th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from his talent as a musician, I find him to be a pretty classless individual.

The things he said about Jessica Simpson are typical of this. Cruel, insensitive and just plain hurtful comments about someone he briefly dated say a lot more about John than they do about the woman...and it's not just Jessica Simpson he's made disparaging remarks about. I don't know why any decent woman would date him given his lack of self control. He acts like a 14-year old on the playground...only his playground is the world stage.

I'll bet his mother is really proud every time she reads another of his interviews.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The media game that exists today drives me nuts frankly. All this focus on what John said or didn't say when pressured constantly, when there could actually a thoughtful discussion in the media of the issues that face our nation and the world. Rather than discuss the gazillions of ordinary criminal or personal injury cases, we have a distorted, hyper focus on cases like OJ and the McDonald's coffee case.

That said, when one is a public figure, one has to learn to engage one's brain before opening your mouth. John is a guitarist and musician. In my mind, a great one. He is not a statesman. He is only 30 or so, and has had tremendous focus on him during a period of life where my own life would not have stood up to that level of scrutiny. In today's digital world, where "news" travels via Facebook and Twitter etc. in an instant, I doubt many of us would survive long term without saying something stupid. I am pretty sure I would at some point.

I don't think I can really tell anything from what I receive via media that really tells me about him, but he seems to have a good, sensitive heart, but gets in trouble when he tries to be cool. Trying to be cool never worked for me. He would be well served if he stopped running that mouth in these interviews, especially about any relationships he may have.

I hope he learns what he can from it, then lets it go and carries on. Less Twitter and more music.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! Assuming that Maxifunk's quotes above are correct.......it's just amazing to believe that he's that brain-dead to make the statements (the orig, not the apology) that he did.

Again, proving that like some actors/actresses, once they get out of their craft/medium, they are dumber than cow-chips.

Common-sense tells you how far you can go and I guess he doesn't have a "governor switch" on his mouth.

Just sing and play your damn guitar. Don't talk.
    Last edited by piebaldpython; February 12th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the double standard? How come it's okay for Lenny Bruce, Redd Foxx, Richard Prior, Robin Williams, Howard Stern and so in to talk like this but it's not for John? I think people just need to lighten up all the way around. I actually thought he was funny. So what if he doesn't sleep with black women. That's his right and I feel it's his right to say it anyway he wants. I thought the description was pretty vivid. I got it. He has a very creative and artistic mind so he thinks in pictures and that's how he describes his world.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of what one thinks about the interview and what his comments were supposed to mean, the guy remains a putz.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't We All Just Get Along!!! now where's my Zoloft! Oh forget it I'm gunna kill myself. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Why the double standard? How come it's okay for Lenny Bruce, Redd Foxx, Richard Prior, Robin Williams, Howard Stern and so in to talk like this but it's not for John? I think people just need to lighten up all the way around. I actually thought he was funny. So what if he doesn't sleep with black women. That's his right and I feel it's his right to say it anyway he wants. I thought the description was pretty vivid. I got it. He has a very creative and artistic mind so he thinks in pictures and that's how he describes his world.

Spud,

The world could care less if he dates Women of African Decent or if he uses the N word in a off the cuff way as a attempt to be colorful.

But what I do care about is someone who has been schooled by A&R departments of his record labels, his personal public relations folks and alike and still uses his interviews to use language that could get him in a fire storm of negative publicity in the gaze of all publicity is good publicity.

It's just plain stupid and shows such a lack of maturity and common sense it is pathetic. Also, he is 30 not 12 he's more than old enough to know how to conduct himself.

As for why do comedians get a pass it is because you have certain level knowledge going into their shows they are and will say somethings that would never be said in any other setting.

I have been around hundreds if not thousands of interviews over the years as a bodyguard to the stars of music, movies, and athletics and have heard the stupid comments in person and read the miss quotes form interviews as well.

I am not giving the media a pass for its useless way it spreads its rhetoric but I will not also give a pass to a star who knows better but yet stills spews stupid comments on a regular basis either.

I once heard this back stage at a toys for tots drive in LA around 1992 or 19993 Words to live by Stevie Wonder talking to Ice Cube

"know your audience and the forum you are in and speak respectfully, thoughtfully, cautiously, and honestly and be simple and clear and you'll do fine with the media."

That is what he said to Ice Cube after asking Stevie how he handles the media so well.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a double standard at all. Other than Howard Stern, the others are all comedians. Comedy is almost always funny at the expense of someone else. They specialize in making fun of everyone and everything, regardless of who's toes they may step on. And Lenny Bruce was the guy who exposed the ridiculousness of the labels people use everyday to demean others. Howard Stern is simply a calculating opportunist. He's cultivated a crass, uncouth, rabble rousing image that he exploits just for ratings. A great role model, is he. Even he must privately laugh that people actually listen to him.

Creative? A speech class with John would be a really exhilarating adventure in oratory excellence. Uh, John, can you express yourself without the denegrating vituperation please?

John's a guitar player. It's what he does best and he should stick to it. That's his creative expression. His attemps at being cute and clever fall flat...as his career may likely do if he continues this way. Listening to John in an interview is like watching a blind man wandering around in a mine field.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to make myself a target, because I'm just as imperfect as everyone else, but I have always liked celebrities who first focus on being good people.

I think it's desperately hard, and there are pressures I can't understand when you get to a certain level of celebrity, but that has to be the goal. Through everything I do, I try (and frequently fail) to put my behavior first, accomplishment second.

He definitely brought some of the pressure on himself by being a media darling, and I have really hated his cutesy crap from the minute he came out (his comments about how so many great guitarists have never made teenage girls cry made me want to vomit). His words do matter. I don't overlook that, but I know that we all have low points in life.

Hopefully he can make a real change in his life, not just the appearance of one for PR reasons.
    Last edited by Eric; February 12th, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Why the double standard? How come it's okay for Lenny Bruce, Redd Foxx, Richard Prior, Robin Williams, Howard Stern and so in to talk like this but it's not for John?
    Probably because those guys are seen as comedians so what they say will be seen in that light. Those guys certainly took plenty of flak in their lives over what they've said, no matter how firmly their tongues were planted in their cheeks. Don Imus got knocked off the air for comments far more innocuous than Mayer's. It is more than a bit naive to assume that you can say anything without people getting ticked about it, much less things like that. Whether that's right or wrong is largely immaterial. It simply is.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I think people just need to lighten up all the way around. I actually thought he was funny. So what if he doesn't sleep with black women. That's his right and I feel it's his right to say it anyway he wants. I thought the description was pretty vivid. I got it. He has a very creative and artistic mind so he thinks in pictures and that's how he describes his world.
    I agree with you. Mayer has a right to say whatever he wants to say. You either believe in free speech or you don't. Just watch this hysterical Chris Rock video and ask yourself why people can laugh at it but not at an off the cuff remark by Mayer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    I agree with you. Mayer has a right to say whatever he wants to say. You either believe in free speech or you don't. Just watch this hysterical Chris Rock video and ask yourself why people can laugh at it but not at an off the cuff remark by Mayer.
    See, that's the downside of free speech, everyone has the same right. So if I don't like Mayer, I'm exercising my right to free speech to say so. And if someone calls me a douche bag, then that is their right.

You're right about one thing: either it is free speech or it isn't. And that means that anyone has a right to say anything they want, even the person whose opinion you don't like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    even the person whose opinion you don't like.
    Free speech is precisely for those opinions that you don't agree with; after all, that's where the rubber meets the road. It's very easy to support free speech for things you agree with but who wants to live in an echo chamber? Not me..well not without a screaming amph!

Post Thanks / Like

I think more folks than I can shake a stick at hide behind FREE SPEECH to spread garbage.

John's commits where not the worst nor was I offended. I have seen far worst. I understood what he was trying to say but he chose all the wrongs words to say it. There was just no need to answers the questions that way.

Someone like a David Duke (since John brought him up) can say what ever he wants but if he says it around me I'll put his right to free speech upside his ......................!!! D. D. and people of like mind can say & print what they desire just be ready for the reaction to your use of your right of free speech. It is not the 1950's no more people are no longer scared to bring him or others to task plain and simple.

With the right of free speech comes a big responsibility of proper use no matter if you think so or not and it applies to all of us no matter if your a day laborer, comedian, priest, or 3rd grade math teacher.

John Mayer F'ed up and his right to free speech to say what he wants has very little to do with the fact he said something pretty damn stupid.

I am done with it getting back to all things axe related.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast