Thread: 12 inch radius on a Tele?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 inch radius on a Tele?

What do you guys think of a 12 inch radius on Fender necks? I like real low action and I am thinking about going with 12 inch this time. I had a compound raidus Warmoth neck and it was nice but I am not that keen on a real flat board.

TIA

M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    What do you guys think of a 12 inch radius on Fender necks? I like real low action and I am thinking about going with 12 inch this time. I had a compound raidus Warmoth neck and it was nice but I am not that keen on a real flat board.

TIA

M
    I like 12" on a Fender or anyother brand cause it's great for all styles of playing....i.e. chording, bending. The shredders like a real flat board 16 - 20"
    Having both a 12" and a 14" on my 2 Carvin's, me likes the 12" better.
    Just more comfy IMHO...

my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

My personal favorite is 10", but a 12" is great also (and doesn't feel that much different). Always loved the LP actions and they're 12".
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys that is what I was wondering. I can get a nice low action with my Epi LP and pretty close with my Strat neck which is a 9.5 but the Strat is not as close as the Epi.

Post Thanks / Like

I too like the 9.5" on my Strat, but am not getting the string height as low as I would like.

Try the 12".
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

My first guitar (epi tele) has a 16" radius and it felt pretty flat for me. My next guitar has a 12" radius and it felt a lot better. My last two guitars (Carvin) have 10" radius and that's even better.

I'm afraid to try a 7.25" radius.
    Last edited by kiteman; March 2nd, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think of a 12 inch radius on Fender necks?
    ABOMINATION!!!! St. Leo decreed a 7.25" radius and thus it should always be now and hereafter, amen!

Seriously, use whatever you like. I had a tele with a Warmoth compound neck for a brief spell around 1990 but never really bonded with it. I find chunkier necks more managable with a flatter board. My tele has a big 50s U neck and a 9.5" board.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has his preference. I really like the feel of a 10" radius with a soft V neck back. Good enough radius for low action and string bending while still comfortable for chording; thick enough neck where thickness is needed to limit hand fatigue.

I've often wondered what USACG's 7-1/4"-9-1/2" compound radius is like. Anyone try one of those?
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!!

I missed out on a 12 inch radius neck for my Tele project because I was not happy with the grain pattern. I ended up getting a 9 1/2 inch radius. I already have a 9 1/2 which I am comfortable with but I really like the lower action I can get with a flatter board. I really have enough guitars around and this will do fine.

Blooz. Now a 7 1/4 inch radius is something I have not experienced yet either. I really need to seek one out to try.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!!

I missed out on a 12 inch radius neck for my Tele project because I was not happy with the grain pattern. I ended up getting a 9 1/2 inch radius. I already have a 9 1/2 which I am comfortable with but I really like the lower action I can get with a flatter board. I really have enough guitars around and this will do fine.

Blooz. Now a 7 1/4 inch radius is something I have not experienced yet either. I really need to seek one out to try.

M
    I had an old '66 Strat that had a 7-1/4" radius. Comfortable for chording, especially low on the neck. But, it did fret out badly with a low action. That's why many older players got used to higher actions...because of the old Strats and Teles they played. Many say that a Strat just doesn't sound like a Strat without the action being higher. I don't know if that's all that true.

Post Thanks / Like

I only know that a high action allows the notes in the upper registers to ring clean. I set mine where it rings clean at next to the last fret. On some of my guitars the action wasn't too high and those are my better guitars.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____