Thread: ES 335 - Is there a wider neck

Post Thanks / Like

Default ES 335 - Is there a wider neck

Hi,

I heard rumor there are 335's around with wider necks - if not, what alternatives would you suggest?

Thanks, RC
    Richard Wilkerson | dreamgate.com

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcwilk
    Hi,

I heard rumor there are 335's around with wider necks - if not, what alternatives would you suggest?

Thanks, RC
    I would contact Gibson. If you send them an email, they are usually quick to respond.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-Fat-Neck.aspx
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

The standard width of an ES335 neck is a 1 11/16. Back in the 60s they had a 1 9/16 neck. Some of the signature models like the limited original 200 Larry Carlton models have the 1 9/16 neck like his original guitar. The production models are all 1 11/16.
    So I guess you could say there are regular necks and narrow necks.
    The profile has changed over the years from a fat almost 50s LP style neck to a slim taper, but the widths have gone between those two measurements.
    I have both the Classic LP's slim taper, and the Studio's 50s style and I would say the 335 is somewhere in the middle on the neck profile.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I know PRS makes a wide fat neck. Unfortunately they don't make a 335 style guitar. Although you would have to sell your house to afford one if they did make one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default how wide the fret board

So after calling around stores, I'm now hearing there are very very different widths on the 335 fret boards, even without going to the dot fat neck. One fellow said this was particulary important pre and post 70s'

RC

Post Thanks / Like

Default width of fret board

more investigation has turned up that all 335's are not made alike. I tried two today that had WIDE necks! (I also tried the fat neck, but it seems to thick for me).

hopeful

RC