Thread: Disaster stories

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disaster stories

The idea of for this thread came to me about an hour ago. About a half an hour after I dropped a screwdriver on a shiny new semi-hollow guitar (leaving a nice 4mm divet on the top).

I wonder if any of you have any good (bad) stories of a mod gone wrong? Or am I the only one?

My story...
    I was swapping out pickups and had the guitar well covered (I thought). Screwdriver fell head first and found the only (very small) open space in the cover. My first inclination was to blame my stupidity. But after giving it some thought, decided it was an act of God since this made me feel a little better. The one
    good thing out of it all is that these pickups are a perfect match for this guitar. It has been transformed into something beautiful yet dangerous (with a 4mm divet on top)

That's my story. Anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine wasn't a disaster by any means, but when I was changing pickups on an SG this weekend, I managed to scratch up the finish on the back somehow, even though I have my entire work bench covered in black fleece (synthetic, not the sheep's wool fleece). It's not terribly noticeable, but that finish was completely flawless before that moment. Since it's the back of the guitar, I don't think it's something I'll worry about too much. The scratches are less than two inches long.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a classic "issue" with my old Floyd. I was attempting to relocate one of the springs with a needle nose pliers when my hand slipped and I put a divot in the paint. Thankfully it wasn't big and was on the back. I was much more careful with my Jackson. I also located a staple my wife didn't take care of properly when she reupholstered one of our chairs. Unfortunately I found it by putting a two-inch scratch on the top (as in the part that faces my head, not the front where the pickups are) of my Floyd. I wasn't amused.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I was recently building cables for the PA and as I was trimming the rubber sheath with an exacto knife I did an unthinkable blunder and pushed the blade into a finger on my left hand. Yes, the hand I had to play guitar with the next two nights. It was incredibly painful both nights and the strings cut right into it all night long.

It was a very good lesson learned in thinking ahead. You'd think I would have learned after I did exactly the same thing Marnold did to one of my guitars though. I don't know what it is. Maybe I get distracted or it's just a quick brain fart. Sure sucks having to look at your mistake for all of eternity.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Sure sucks having to look at your mistake for all of eternity.
    Truly spoken.

It's one thing when my wife points out something stupid I have done. I can always slough it off (or even blame her...). But when my guitars/gear are involved they are a constant reminder of my stupidity (come to think of it, just like my wife...).

Post Thanks / Like

Well so far I've been more careful than the previous owners of three of my guitars (the fourth was new) so I can't say I've got a guitar horror story, but I did manage to mix up my 9V leads to my pedal board once and plug a negative ground supply into one of my positive ground Ge Fuzz's, yeah, the one I left the reverse polarity protection diode out of to see if it effected the tone....Kerblammo, fuzz destroyed. What made it hurt worse is I'm a damn electronic engineer, AND I built the pedals, so I -really- should have known better. (shakes fist at beer) Now, two of them have no DC socket and the third, the blown up (but now rebuilt) one has it's socket disconnected internally.

Woah, oh wait, I have another HUGE one!

How about being GIVEN a -very- rare 1960's era tube amp before I knew anything about tube amps electronically, or as collectors pieces, or as tonal nirvana, and upon discovering it had a burnt out power transformer, ripped out all the internals bar the OT and built a kind of JCM800 hybrid into it on perf. Along the way carving up the face plate too as for some reason I decided I wanted extra switches on the front, those huge rectangular ones....

Sure it works now and it didn't when I was given it, but it wasn't that long after that I realized my mistake and I've been kicking myself over it ever since. I've been in touch with the manufacturer, but given they were a boutique Australian company that stopped making amps like 40 years ago, they have almost no information on it

At least I left the 1960's 4x12 cab loaded with original, perfect condition alnico speakers alone. (and I still use it almost every day, sure sounds different to the single 12" Sheffield in my Peavey)

Post Thanks / Like

I put the SD Blackouts in my Carvin DC127. Simple job but the holes for the pots were too small for the pots that came with the pups. No biggie, I just got my drill and the right bit to do the job. I started drilling and it felt like I was drilling concrete and broke a chunk of paint at the hole. Then another hole.

When I put the knobs on they covered it up. Duh!
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

(Early yrs.) Drank too much at an outdoor party and decided to "toss" my Gibson Flying V to the audience to catch at the end of the night. Guess nobody wanted it, it hit the grass and cracked the headstock.
    (Middle yrs.) Working as a meatcutter in a store, I was cleaning the slicer and cut the tip off the index finger of my left hand. I played that night, Sat. and Sun. with a finger brace and dressing on the finger. Did a lot of playing with the other three fingers. Learned to use my pinky that weekend.
    (Later yrs.) Decided to adjust the truss rod on my Tele by removing the pickguard and carefully going over the top of the neck pickup with the screwdriver. The chrome pickup cover now has a small, neat dent in it.
    Look at Teles in pawn shops.......you'll see this often. Makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one who thought it'd work.....
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

All my "mod disasters" happened when I let someone else do the work.

I had a bad knob on my Ibanez that wouldn't come off, and the tech put a .5" scratch in the front of my guitar.

I paid someone to replace a worn nut in my first electric guitar, and they cracked the neck with a flathead screwdriver.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I once zapped myself pretty good on the innards of my old Peavey Triumph 120... I still have no idea why I was poking around a charged circuit with a metal screw driver.. lol
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

I repaired a friend's Peavy Delta Blues (it's basically a Classic 30), and when it didn't work at first, I opened it up in frustration and started poking around haphazardly around the power supply area. The electric shock woke me up a bit though.

The repair was fine, it was a broken fuse.

I do not find electric shocks entirely unpleasant...
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

I had a friend grab my guitar and play it once and he leaned it against an amp and somehow dropped a small mixer on the back of it. Nice gouges all the way to the wood. I wasn't there at the time, so he just put it back into the case!!! I'm pretty sure several threats were made if he ever touched my guitar again, because accidents like that were known from him.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done all kinds of goofy stuff I probably shouldn't of..

Still doing goofy stuff.. it's only equipment.. you screw with it..

Leo or Less would of NEVER created what they did if they stopped every time they screwed something up.

---

I think my most spendy (yet deliberate, it wasn't a screw up, except by doing it I screwed up) action was to take my original run gold top (worth thousands and thousands on todays market) and strip that ugly gold paint off it..

It was a much better looking guitar when I was finished with it (well, there is another story about that, for another time)... WONDERFUL grain under that icky gold paint..

Thereby reducing an ugly guitar that would be worth thousands and thousands and thousands (seriously) and turning it into a nice looking guitar worth about 500 bucks for parts..

Live and learn..

No regrets.. it was ugly.. I still cringe when I see Gold Tops.. not because I devalued mine, but because they are ugly and look like crap on stage.. *L*

Post Thanks / Like

I made what could have been a BIG disater when I changed the neck plate and the bridge on my Tele. After I changed the neck plate I proceeded to put on a 3 saddle bridge. The thing was I could not for the life of me figure out why the screws were so hard to get in. Anyway needless to say after a lot of elbow grease I got the bridge in. When I was cleaning up I couldn't figure out what the screws that actually belong to the bridge belonged to. So I just put them away. I go outside for a Cig (I know nasty habit but taking steps to quit) then the horror hits I realize why the screws were so hard to get in. I used the neck screws. Then I thought did the screws go through the body am I going to be able to get them out. anyway I got the neck screws out without a problem and put glue and toothpicks in the hole and all was good.

I'm guessing it didn't help that I was fairlly new to modding when it happened but as they say "Live and learn"