Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Today I learnt a new song!

Thread: Today I learnt a new song!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today I learnt a new song!

Ok.

So as a fairly mediocre guitar player, whose been practising too much on technique and licks and not on songs; I think today I've made a break through.

Now don't laugh (well go on I'll let you ) but today I learnt to play Pink Floyd's - Another Brick In the Wall Part 2 inc, at least the 1st half of that memorable guitar solo.

Man there are some tricky muted rakes in that solo!

Now need to build from here and learn some more songs instead of riffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't even know what a muted rake is, so if you are mediocre, I must be utter mud.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not laughing.. I've been playing for awhile and have never learned that solo.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, that's cool.

BTW, here are several good backing tracks for Gilmour and PF songs:
    http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=64

Or just right-click, then Save Target As...
    Another Brick in the Wall part 2

These are really cool to download and play:
    Shine On blues

Comfortably Numb

Take a Breath

Slow Blues
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tig, but they seem to be broken. Each file is only a few bytes....

Post Thanks / Like

I love it when I have a break through, go get em @nthony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks.

I'll check out those backing tracks tonight and Commodore - don't be so hard on yourself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Thanks Tig, but they seem to be broken. Each file is only a few bytes....
    I was able to download them, but from the website itself.
    Try going to http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=64
    and do the right-click save target as thingie from there. Hopefully that should do the trick.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thats working. Cheers again, I was jonesing for some new BT's. I've been jamming to my looper recently which is great, but I need a break from jamming with crappy unoriginal rhythm guitarists (i.e. me haha)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by @nthony
    Ok.

So as a fairly mediocre guitar player, whose been practising too much on technique and licks and not on songs; I think today I've made a break through.

Now don't laugh (well go on I'll let you ) but today I learnt to play Pink Floyd's - Another Brick In the Wall Part 2 inc, at least the 1st half of that memorable guitar solo.

Man there are some tricky muted rakes in that solo!

Now need to build from here and learn some more songs instead of riffs.
    This post inspired me to look into that solo, along with the one from Money. My thoughts: Gilmour does a fricking lot of bends! Geez! I'm getting it, but some of the nuances require me to be a little more familiar with the solo than I really am.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. I think my guitar muse lies somewhere between David Gilmour and Noel Gallagher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Eric there are a lot of nuances to the bending in that song, and Gilmour's guitar work in general. I love the way he is able to bend a note, make it sing, let it drop a semi-tone or a tone, and then belt it back up - sometimes two tones more!

I learnt a lot from copying that solo, the little things he does like dragging the pick over the muted strings like you would if you were sweep-picking can add an aful lot of depth of sound to the way you play and make you sound a lot more accomplished and polished than you really are.

Post Thanks / Like

"Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

I LOL'd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip

Is the bottom image is a fluted rake