Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are YOU a guitar contrarian???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are YOU a guitar contrarian???

I don't know that I'm completely there yet, but there are some areas I'm becoming more cynical about. Here are a few.

I don't care what wood the guitar body is made of. If it sounds good and is reasonably durable, I'm cool with it. I prefer the look and feel of a maple fretboard. But, I'm also happy with my rosewood FB guitars.

Different neck joints do not imply "better" or "worse" in terms of quality. There are top quality bolties out there, and Gibbies that just don't cut it in the quality department.

"lower cost" does not always equal "lower quality."

"Solid State" does not automatically equal "Crappy Amph."

Do you have any opinions about gear that might go against conventional wisdom? I'm interested in reading them!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Do you have any opinions about gear that might go against conventional wisdom? I'm interested in reading them!
    I think your observations are spot on.
    Sounds like you're a smart, savvy consumer like many folks.
    I appreciate some higher end gear, but I'm no cork sniffer either.

As far as my own views, the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is the overpriced boutique amph market. I think it's utterly preposterous to believe you have to spend $3,500 on a friggin combo amp with a 12" speaker. And the Dumble/clone amph tone...sorry , I don't get it, don't want it, don't care.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe. Yeah, I am. No, I'm not! Yes, you are!

Sorry, voices in my head again.

My main opinion that goes against conventional wisdom comes when I refer to myself as a guitar player.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Hehe. Yeah, I am. No, I'm not! Yes, you are!

Sorry, voices in my head again.

My main opinion that goes against conventional wisdom comes when I refer to myself as a guitar player.
    Haha, that describes me exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

I like owning a variety of guitars. Most of mine tend to be on the higher end but I like having both set neck and bolt on guitars. I have some nice amps but I don't have any that garner the boutique status. It's less about what you have than what you can do with it.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I like owning a variety of guitars. Most of mine tend to be on the higher end but I like having both set neck and bolt on guitars. I have some nice amps but I don't have any that garner the boutique status. It's less about what you have than what you can do with it.
    Actually there's a good point. I started out on a cheapy korean squire that I still play, albeit with much modified internals, but both the guitars I've bought since have been kinda pricey top of the line models. Quite apart from how nice an experience it is playing a good guitar, I find it a little humbling to do so also. My thinking is, "If this is the best playing and sounding guitar I can find, then anything bad coming out the speakers is ME" It's an expensive way to keep yourself humble, but it stops the "I'f I'd only got the slightly better one" syndrome.

It doesn't however stop the "I'd like to have one of those style guitars" syndrome though....

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my first high end guitar in December of last year. I don't think I'll need any more after hearing this one.

Maybe though, an RS-6, but that's still up in the air at this time.

But you're right about buying what you might consider the best guitar in the world; if it doesn't sound like what it's supposed to, it's the player and not the equipment.

I could sell every other guitar I own at this point and not miss them a bit, except for the nostalgia.
    Turner Model 1 C-LB, Seagull S6+, Ibanez 12 string, Dean Bavarian Vendetta
    VOX AC50 CP2, Roland RE-20, Boss CE5
    Kurzweil SP88X, Yamaha MM8, Roland R-5
    TASCAM 38-8, Behringer SX4882, Alesis Midiverb III, Alesis Midiverb IV, DBX 262, DBX 266, Omnifex DDX1024, TASCAM DBX Type II NR
    Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM57, SM7, Sennheiser 402's

Post Thanks / Like

Six strings and I'm happy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    I don't know that I'm completely there yet, but there are some areas I'm becoming more cynical about. Here are a few.

I don't care what wood the guitar body is made of. If it sounds good and is reasonably durable, I'm cool with it. I prefer the look and feel of a maple fretboard. But, I'm also happy with my rosewood FB guitars.

Different neck joints do not imply "better" or "worse" in terms of quality. There are top quality bolties out there, and Gibbies that just don't cut it in the quality department.

"lower cost" does not always equal "lower quality."

"Solid State" does not automatically equal "Crappy Amph."

I totally agree. I only have one guitar that cost over $500, and have both tube and ss amps. The main focus for me is: do I have FUN playing it? If I do, then I'm happy!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm a cork-sniffer... I have to have tubes.. and humbuckers, especially after I made the switch to LP... lol
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be interesting to see which guitars we'd choose if we were blindfolded when testing them....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    I guess I'm a cork-sniffer... I have to have tubes.. and humbuckers, especially after I made the switch to LP... lol
    In general, for guitar at this point I'm a tube guy. I do have a Super Champ XD which has tubes but part of the signal chain is solid state, as I understand it (which is, not very well at all). For bass, I have both tube and solid state, and find the differences not nearly as important.

I do not have to have humbuckers, at all. In fact, on the guitar side, the last 6 or 7 guitars I've picked up have been single coil of one type or another, or splittable buckers (Strat-type, lipsticks, DeArmond 2000, low-output toasters, P-90's, etc.). Which is not to say I don't have HB guitars, or don't like them. I own a batch and love playing them as well. It's just that I now have a range of HB's that I like (not interested in super-high output or actives), so I'm honestly not in the HB market any more.

I don't care about name on headstock one way or the other. Is the guitar a good one at a good price? Does it add something different to what I already have? That's all I really care about. I tend to concentrate on stuff that pops up locally, so my dollars stay at home, and so I have a chance to play before buying.

I'm pretty much at capacity guitar-wise though. Not really looking to buy anything in particular. Which is good, because I'm flat as a floogie.

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily... Tube amphs, humbuckers and LPs are all cool. I drool over them myself, and there ain't nothing wrong with liking the tones that that combination provides.

High end gear is cool, too, although like Radioboy I don't see the reason behind a lot of the booteek amph prices. Some of them are ridiculously overpriced.

It's just not necessary to get good tone.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta agree on the booteek stuff. I jammed with a booteek cork-sniffing Berklee virtuoso who bragged up and down that his 18w booteek would blow my my 100+ watt Marshmallow out of the water, song, tone and volume-wise.

He was gravely mistaken. Then got p*ssed because I was "playing too loud" and I responded with "Well, I thought you said your booteek amph was gonna blow me out of the water..?" lol

And that was with my American Standard Strat. That combination was pretty killer too. lol
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box

Post Thanks / Like

He was gravely mistaken. Then got p*ssed because I was "playing too loud"
    HAHA Nice. He needs to brush up on his audio theory

- A perceived doubling in volume is generally accepted to occur around +6dB.
    - To increase volume by +6dB is generally thought to require 4x the power.
    - At 100W your Marshall is 5.56 times more powerful than the 18W.

Conclusion.

Your Marshall should have, and did, blow the 18W into the weeds.....

(I know which one I'd rather have in my apartment though.....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have only one guitar that was over $500, and it is an acoustic. My first amph is a one off (Peavey C-30) and was used, so were two of my guitars (also used). The only reason I have a nice Fender amph is because I lucked into it when owed a bill. But it sure is nice. I enjoyed very much playing my son's cheap Peavey Vypyr yesterday, using his even cheaper Fullerton strat.

So I guess whatever works. But I do sniff a bit when I am buying those less expensive items to make sure they work for me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Your Marshall should have, and did, blow the 18W into the weeds.....

(I know which one I'd rather have in my apartment though.....)
    Yup. and I never left the VPR or went above 4.

And I'd rather have the Marshall in my apartment, if I had one. The JCM 2000 still sounds really good at low volumes.

SVL... a Classic 30? I'd LOVE to have one of those bad boys. In fact, I recently dropped that hint to someone who has the means and desire to feed my GAS... I'll let you know how that works out. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely a contrarian! Here's a partial list of voodoo/mojo BS that make virtually no sonic difference on electrics:

- Body/neck/fingerboard "tonewood"
    - Finish
    - Nut material
    - Bridge/saddles
    - Tail piece
    - Fret metal
    - Pickup covers (or none)
    - Brand of tone capacitors, pots, switches
    - Type of wires
    - Cable to amp
    - Shielding

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yup. and I never left the VPR or went above 4.

And I'd rather have the Marshall in my apartment, if I had one. The JCM 2000 still sounds really good at low volumes.

SVL... a Classic 30? I'd LOVE to have one of those bad boys. In fact, I recently dropped that hint to someone who has the means and desire to feed my GAS... I'll let you know how that works out. ;-)
    MSM, there are a couple of good Peavey Classic 30 and or Delta threads around here. It is a good amph. A bit more direct and mid voiced than the Fender 4x10, and plenty loud. I have never played much through a Marshall so I can't say how it would compare. It does like red LEDs though! Let us know how it works out!

Bottom line regarding these contrarian things, I tend to like what I like I guess. And I am too much of a noob even after not quite 4 years to pretend I really can hear things like different finish on a strat, or the back cover on or off. I can tell if I like a guitar or not though, and that is usually a gut thing.

I guess my one contrarian thing is I think my MIM Fender strat sounds just as good as any American I have played, including an Eric Johnson. But I am not sure I would say that about every MIM strat. Also, a used Digitech Bad Monkey with a repaired battery is just as good as a basic TS9 in my book.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast