Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Meet My Back Room
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet My Back Room

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meet My Back Room

So I don't completely hijack Plank's kitchen thread, I thought I'd start out by introducing you guys to my back room, where the pub will be located.

Initially, I got really overboard excited about the project and was going to install a 17x8 stage, but decided against that. Too much work. Instead, I'm going to simply add a bar and barback to the practice space... okay.. maybe a booth or two, depending on who I find for a drummer and how much equipment he has.

Coming into the room from the bathroom, which is what connects the back room to the rest of the house:

(Yes, I move the guitars before I light a fire.. lol)

The view from the opposite end of the room... in front of the french doors in the last picture:

The view I have when I play:

And the gratuitous shot of my setup... please note my pedal board looks empty... this time next week it won't.. fed some MGAS (Major GAS) this past week:

Now that you have a basic visual of the room, the bar will be going in the space by the bathroom door... where the white love seat is. I'd outlined everything with some blue painter's tape then drafted up a bar design in AutoCAD based on the tape.. it should work out well.

The bar and barback will be made out of recycled barn board and stained dark-ish. I'm still working on how I want to do the lighting.

We also really want to rip out all the carpet and put down laminate flooring of some sort, with some area rugs, but flooring a 500+/- square foot room is going to be $$$.

Paint-wise, we're leaning heavily towards a nice forest green with stained pine wainscotting and chair rail. Yes, we'll be starting just with paint. LOL No clue what color we're going to do the ceiling in.

Okay.. so that's it for now. :-)

Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    No clue what color we're going to do the ceiling in.
    How about glass? somebody did some great drywall work in there, but, what about a few skylights?

Nice space, man.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Skylights would be awesome.. outside of budget for now, but definitely a thought for some time down the road. :-)

As for the drywall.. fortunately when I snapped these pix, I had the autoflash off, so it blanched out the cracks.. lol
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box

Post Thanks / Like

years ago, my folks converted a screened in deck to a convertible room. A tiled cool room in the winter, or a screen porch in the summer. Point being, they replaced the old school sliders with french doors. My Dad had the contractor take the sliders, which are simply large insulated units, and build frames in the roof for them, viola, skylights. Saved on roofing materials, actually saved him a few bucks.

Maybe find something similar, or a shop redoing a storefront. I hear you re: budget, dude, believe me.

Enjoy the process. sounds like your enjoying it.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Cool project Jon ,i wish i had that much space to make some big noise and how about adding a bar to that ..Miummy

My question is where s the Strat.. ??
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

All my fellow Fretters have an open invite to come on over once the bar opens.

If not, my partner has already informed me that we'll be rigging up a webcam to do live webcasts of performances.. LOL If anyone is truly hard up for something to watch, I'll be sure to share when and where.. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Oops.. Blaze.. I traded in the Strat for other GAS-induced wants... I'm probably going to get another one, but I want one with lace sensors on it. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

That would make a very nice rehearsal room. Nice size and layout. I really like that you can get good light into the room too. Windows are so great for inspiration. The windowless basement scene I've experienced gets pretty old after a while.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed Spud... plus there is something about how concrete reflects sound... just thinking about that is triggering my "basement rehearsal PTSD".. lol

Granted, I have a large enough space in the basement as well, and it's even already painted!! But I can't deal with the acoustics against concrete. :-)

PS. For the record, I made the curtains myself! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Just on acoustics, wouldn't the carpet be much better than going for laminate flooring?

I suppose you could go laminate and toss some big rugs about. I met many gentlemen in Turkey that could help in that regard

Also, I detect a bit of Scottish heritage in the background hey
    Last edited by Ch0jin; February 17th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, MSM! Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Me either. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice space and room - I could only dream about something like that (as it is) thanks to the property prices here in Blighty (England)

I'm actually very jealous!
    Last edited by @nthony; February 18th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon....nice to know I am not the only guy in the world who can sew and make his own curtains.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

you GUUUYYYZZZ!!!!

Please, this is a PUBLIC forum. we have a collective image to uphold!!

We are self absorbed, inconsiderate, amp-cranking-at-midnight-on-a-tuesday-in-a-crowded-apartment-building, spent the kids christmas money on a custom shop model, womanizing group of duuudes....

we don't sew curtains!!!

(PM me please...do you use a PFAFF, a singer, white? foot pedal, one of those knee switch in the console jobs? what are we talking about here?)

Post Thanks / Like

@@nthony - Just a matter of "right place, right time"... although as part of our 5-year plan, if we start looking at building a new house, I've already been informed that it will have a studio space of equivalent area. :-)

@Kazz - Amen, brutha. A sewing machine is just another power tool... lol

@Tio - No sweat.. I'm still most of those things you mentioned! (We have a Singer)

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya. That much room for a studio is excellent.

BTW, love the Scottish flag in the corner, do you have any ancestory? I love hearing about that kind of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    (PM me please...do you use a PFAFF, a singer, white? foot pedal, one of those knee switch in the console jobs? what are we talking about here?)
    Sewing machine GAS??? ROFLMAO!

As an aside, my grandfather once sewed me a quiver for a bow and arrow he made for me with his own two hands. Sewing is manly.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

This forum should be renamed "The Spool.net" at least if only for today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast