Thread: gas attack: Callaham Block and Trem arrived today

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas attack: Callaham Block and Trem arrived today

So i can't wait to get home and replace the block and trem that came on my strat. Why does fender send them out of the factory with so much wiggle / play room / crappy arms??? ahh thats right. its cheaper probably to let those who actually use them find and upgrade the trem themselves... well. I haven't put it into the strat yet but i can tell you the arm is solid with the cavity in the trem block, its really heavy, and theres no wiggle room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    So i can't wait to get home and replace the block and trem that came on my strat. Why does fender send them out of the factory with so much wiggle / play room / crappy arms??? ahh thats right. its cheaper probably to let those who actually use them find and upgrade the trem themselves... well. I haven't put it into the strat yet but i can tell you the arm is solid with the cavity in the trem block, its really heavy, and theres no wiggle room.

MAN!!...You are in for a pleasant surprise. it will be one of best upgrades that you will do to a strat..Enjoy

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a cast zinc block you're replacing, you're in for a treat.

Clarity, sparkle, chime, and sustain await you....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I ordered it on Monday. I got it today shipped plain us postal. That's not bad for a custom shop response time that leaves you 24 months out if you order a guitar :-) They might be busy but they're still getting the products immediately on hand out the door. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm, I wonder if Callaham makes any blocks that fit a Squier CV 50's/60's? Strat?

Couldn't tell here http://www.specialtyguitars.com/trem.html
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

check these two pages. its not the best designed site in the world but it's there :-)

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm#block_chart

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Callaham block in my Suhr. Great stuff.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think one reason there's usually lots of wiggle in the Fender set up is because everyone looses the spring that's supposed to be under the arm.
    That being said I put a Callaham in a Strat I refinished last year and it sounded so good I ordered a 2nd one for another Strat I have. 'Really nice quality stuff and it sounds and functions great

Post Thanks / Like

Default hit a snag

well. I woke up this morning and started taking my strat apart, i put the new block in under the original plate, and the hole for the trem arm is misaligned with the receptacle in the block :-/ so... should i flare out the plate on a drill press until it fits (sounds like a hack from the get go to me...) or is it time to order the top plate from Callahan and hope it fits properly? :-/ I did not see this problem ahead of time... this leaves me guitarless for the time being. much sadness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    well. I woke up this morning and started taking my strat apart, i put the new block in under the original plate, and the hole for the trem arm is misaligned with the receptacle in the block :-/ so... should i flare out the plate on a drill press until it fits (sounds like a hack from the get go to me...) or is it time to order the top plate from Callahan and hope it fits properly? :-/ I did not see this problem ahead of time... this leaves me guitarless for the time being. much sadness

Hmmm...yes that is a bummer Red,if it were me I would take it off and use a small round file to open up the hole in the plate...and yes the only other option would be to order a new plate from Callaham...if you decide to order a new plate I would also consider the new saddles ,springs and screws to go with it.and remember to check and get the correct plate mounting hole and string spacing for the block that you have....also it would be a good idea to check your old block with the new one to make sure you have the correct Callaham block for your Guitar.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm#block_chart
    Last edited by ET335; February 20th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

new plate from callaham (decided to do it "proper"), that's all it needed. old saddles etc all setup great. it seems sustainier than i remembered. didn't really think a chunk of metal would make that much difference :-) that, and the trem arm is rock solid and there is no "free motion" on the trem arm. Thats what i was looking for! Just in time for the weekend.