Thread: Cant figure it out ... help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cant figure it out ... help?

So...I've loved "Good Times" by Edie Brickell for a long time. If you remember, it came bundled with win95. I know the song goes Ab | Cm7 | Bbm7 | Ebsus7.

It might sound simple to some, and it really is, but I've been trying to get the intro for 2 weeks and cant get the second to last bit. Seems as if two other instruments get in the way and my ear is constantly distracted. Help?

If helping in anyway contravenes the website mods, please disregard and let me know so I can delete this post. Some sites frown on transcription.

Link to the song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqL1BLzn3qc

Love the guitar work !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I remember too. Cool song. There was another video I think that came on a windows cd and it look like a demo of a game.

Whatever the song was it kicked ***. Do anyone remember?
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Kiteman, was it "Buddy Holly" by Weezer?

Anyone tried the Edie Brickell?
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

No, that wasn't it, I remember that one though.

It's hard to describe the song. It's like a disco/new wave/rap sounding song. I'm still looking for it on youtube but no luck yet.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Without attempting to transcribe ("close enough" is usually good enough for me), I'd say it sounds like it's completely based around G major pentatonic... but it seems.. "off"... maybe capo'd at the first fret?
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Close enough is usually good for me as well, but that guitarist is so awesome, I've learnt a heap just trying to figure it out. Its in Ab (G#). Its the half second before the final chord in the intro I cant get yet... but its the journey, not the destination....!

Have you guys heard "Circle"? The fingerpickers should appreciate it. That one I figured out...lol! The 90's Rocks !
    Last edited by Monkus; February 24th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. the song is definitely capo'd on the first fret then.

Play around with this a little... can't promise it's right or close (guitar is packed up at the moment), but this is kind of what I'm hearing. Please note this is if you're capo'd on the first fret. If not, add 1 to each of the numbers. :-)

e|-3/s/5/s/3-------------------3--|
    B|-3/s/5/s/3-3-----------------3--|
    G|-----------4-2h4p2-0------0--0--|
    D|-------------------0--0h2----0--|
    A|--------------------------------|
    E|--------------------------------|

/s/ = slide
    h = hammer-on
    p = pull-off
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very plenty...I'll try it as soon as I get home and update ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you mainestratman !

mainestratman

Your ear is great! At first chance today I sat down with it and this is what I came up with. Seems close enough to me. Thanks again for your help !!!!

e|-3/s/5/s/3---------------------------3--|
    B|-3/s/5/s/3-5--3---------------------1--|
    G|------------4--2h4p2--0h2-------0----|
    D|------------------------------0h2----2-|
    A|-----------------------------------------|
    E|-----------------------------------------|

/s/ = slide
    h = hammer-on
    p = pull-off

Post Thanks / Like

"Close enough"... told ya.. lol