Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
10's on a tele? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10's on a tele?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I found a happy medium. I use the D'Addario 9.5 set. They are just a little thicker than 9s but not a full 10. I use them on all of my guitars. When I bought my CV Tele Custom I am pretty sure they set it up with 10s. I always get them to do a set up before I buy, and a different person did the set up. My normal guy would have automatically put on 9.5s. With the 3 saddle bridge there is a lot less tension on the strings and it make for a nice light feel.
    I find it easier to switch from my Strats to my Gibbies with the 9.5s.
    I just bought a set of 9.5's so should be interesting gauge to check out.if I like em on one git the others might get them too.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10s on Teles. These seem to be a happy medium and balance. I like
    .011s too but there is a trade off a bit on .009s and .011s for Teles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too, use 10s on my Teles. Sometimes the Ernie Ball Hybrid (heavy top skinny bottom), but recently bought a 10-pack of D'Addario EXL 110.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nine point fives.

I might try some 9.5s today when I have the Fender locking tuners put on my LPB CV fifties strat. Just fo the fun of it. They might hit those Texas Specials just a little harder. Pretty soon I won't be able to call it a CV anymore without feeling guilty.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I might try some 9.5s today when I have the Fender locking tuners put on my LPB CV fifties strat. Just fo the fun of it. They might hit those Texas Specials just a little harder. Pretty soon I won't be able to call it a CV anymore without feeling guilty.
    HEY Duffy whats on that cv parts wise?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I just joined the Tele club over the weekend - I put 10's on it and it plays great but the pickups suck. It's an Arbor..?? Anyway I've got some GFS pickups and a stewmac tele rewire kit coming in to resolve the sound issues. On a squier tele I had the sounded great with 10's (and fender noiseless pickups).

How's the pickups on that CV sound??

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    I just joined the Tele club over the weekend - I put 10's on it and it plays great but the pickups suck. It's an Arbor..?? Anyway I've got some GFS pickups and a stewmac tele rewire kit coming in to resolve the sound issues. On a squier tele I had the sounded great with 10's (and fender noiseless pickups).
    Wow, nice Tele. I'm looking for one with a mini-humbucker in the neck, but will likely have to buy a regular one and convert it. I might go with CV Custom with Al 5's and put in a Seymour Duncan SM-3n mini-hum for the neck. All the CV Tele's (Custom and 50's) I've played sound pretty good, but not as nice as the American Special with the Texas Special pickups.

Post Thanks / Like

Only paid $120 for that thing too! It was a steal.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Maxi,

The CV is a strat in Lake Placid Blue with a white pearl pickguard and Custom Shop Texas Special pickups. I recently put the brushed metal Fender Locking tuners on it. Very nice guitar. It has the bridge tone control mod so you can adjust the tone on the bridge switch setting only, the middle pickup is wide open. Sounds super great.

I put some Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in my Squier Standard tele, walnut finish, black pickguard, nice looking guitar and sounds good with the noiseless pickups but not like a traditional tele. Not having noise is nice though. However, it seems like you have to be willing to put up with that noise if you want to get real good tele sound, to one extent or another. My MIM std tele has hot ceramic single coils and is noisy, '09. Great tone though. But I keep thinking, there has to be something better out there for this guitar to cut down this noise. My Nashville tele has Tex Mex pickups and isn't nearly as noisy, but they are alnico pickups.

I think one pickup solution may be to install, "low output" pickups. I think these would sound better and might be less noisy, but when you turn them up they might get real noisy, I don't know. I suspect, however, that the low output pickups will be much quieter.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK View Post
    Hey guys my CV Thinline just arrived at the local place I buy my gear.

Question Does a Tele sound better with 10's or do a lot of you guys do this?
    I have a 10-52 Fender set which sounds great on both my Esquire and my Thinline Custom
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

My Fender Am Deluxe Tele came with 9's on it. I liked them for abit cause they were really easy to bend on but I couldnt get a thick enough sound out of them for my liking and I play a mixed gauge of 10 - 52 (light tops, heavy bottoms) on my strat, so I thought I'd put the same set on my Tele and bam! They were a huge imporovement
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10s on all my instruments sans a Floyd Rose. On those I use 9s.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I put 10's on everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think a lot of the desire for 10s is just macho stuff. I generally play pretty clean, so the slightly lighter tone of 9's is just fine for me. I also like the easier touch for bends and other legato moves. Now, if you want to bomb away with gain/distortion ... OK, I think 10s might be better ... but you're probably going to be doing that with a humbucker setup.
    Highest Regards From Miami-Ace

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Played 11's with thicker lows for a decade. It does give a great unwavering rhythm sound. Swapped to tens for easier leads, but it wasn't so much easier and lows got lax. So now I have put a thick 11 set bottom end but 9's top end on everything and I love it. Strong chords but very light and lively to bend. Also swapped from thick jazz pics to regular .50 delrins...a bit playing style adjustment too...and been very happy since.

Too thick is too thick...I love a thick string low end so I can smack it hard without wobbles, but if Angus and gibbons can play 8's and sound huge, why torment them fingers.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 11s (Ernie Ball Power Slinkys), love the sound & don't have any issues bending

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miami-Ace View Post
    Well, I think a lot of the desire for 10s is just macho stuff. I generally play pretty clean, so the slightly lighter tone of 9's is just fine for me. I also like the easier touch for bends and other legato moves. Now, if you want to bomb away with gain/distortion ... OK, I think 10s might be better ... but you're probably going to be doing that with a humbucker setup.
    Good to see you back, Miami-Ace!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Photomike666 View Post
    I've got 11s (Ernie Ball Power Slinkys), love the sound & don't have any issues bending
    Really? Must have really strong fingers. I could not do it well. I mean, yeah, I can bend a step up but forget about 1,5 or two-step bends, and especially forget about applying a loose Angus-style vibrato at the height of the bend. Even when I used a heavy LP the string pull would be too much doing even a one-step bend without pushing the neck in the other direction simultaneously.

What I love about nines is I don't have to hold on to the neck when bending, but rather just lift the string with fingers and suspend the whole guitar basically by the bending fingers, then kinda move my whole arm for vibrato, and that just doesn't happen even with tens. Well maybe with tens on a LP etc. it is just OK, but even better with nines and especially lighter guitars which I prefer these days.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm not that good yet so no vibrato when bending, but I don't lack in finger strength. Maybe on the next set I'll try nines and see the difference

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast