Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New pickguard for the CV 50's Strat - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New pickguard for the CV 50's Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Deeaa, I agree with you that the neck makes or breaks the guitar and so your points about the fret/neck quality of the imports seems very reasonable. I'd guess that the fret material is probably the same stuff on either MIA or import, but maybe the wood quality and/or finishing processes may have a significant effect on the stability of the frets.

FWIW - I recently played a CV jazz bass when I was auditioning amphs and was very, very impressed. This particular one had a nice flame pattern to the neck and very low action - even in a Guitar Center!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That's your fourth CV axe now, isn't it? I guess they must be nice guitars, eh?
    Yep, my 4th Squier CV guitar. I think they're just incredible guitars for the money. I haven't had any functional or workmanship issues with any of them. If there's a problem with the fret material, I haven't seen it, but then again I'm a hobby player and I'm pretty easy on my guitars.

I haven't bought any of the four new--got one second-hand at my favorite local guitar shop, and the other three were used instruments off eBay. This new one was just a lowball bid I put in for the heck of it and ended up winning the auction--got it for a couple of dollars over half the cost of a new CV '50s Strat. The other three are a '60s Strat, '50s Tele, and Tele Custom (l. to r. in photos below). Cosmetically, the '60s Strat is dead stock, the Custom Tele has an upgraded pickguard, as does the '50s Tele. That latter also has a GFS mini-humbucker installed at the neck position--it's kind of my "Keef" Tele, and I leave it tuned to open G (though I did leave the low E string on). All have had some pickup switch wiring mods done to be able to run the pickups in series. Photos:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Deeaa, I agree with you that the neck makes or breaks the guitar and so your points about the fret/neck quality of the imports seems very reasonable. I'd guess that the fret material is probably the same stuff on either MIA or import, but maybe the wood quality and/or finishing processes may have a significant effect on the stability of the frets.
    I don't think they are anywhere near US strat quality for instance...neither is the wood even close to MIM as far as I can tell. Again, this is NOT to say I don't like them - quite the contrary, I think they are very nice indeed (Mine is a Classic Vibe 2009 model) - BUT if you compare the frets on a MIA or MIM to these, you instantly see that not only the fret profiles are quite different, the metal is clearly quite a bit more brassy/yellowish and not nearly as shiny; obviously of much lesser quality metal.

The woods are looking fine but the lacquering is really thick in places, making it hard to see what it is really like, but I would guess the woods they use in the Americas is also quite different batch than what they use in China...they likely do not ship them accross the pond but each use more local wood varieties.

So I'd be amazed if they have ANYTHING more in common than the basic shape really. You get what you play for, and while it's a good deal for the money, it's starting to look like I could not recommend one for any player who really plays a lot and needs a really stable instrument. Better off getting some old guitar which has proven to be stable and has good quality frets.

But, I do like my CV neck...it's really too bad if it will require a fret job soon. I'd be leery of sanding off the thick lacquer too. The emerging woods might react quite adversely to the climate here when exposed. Maybe it'll work as a backup guitar for a good while still, but right now I'm already quite keeping it off the circulation. I have played one entire gig on it and it worked well, but now it looks like it's gonna need some neck adjustment again, which also indicates little less stable neck material.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    You get what you play for
    I don't imagine you intended that as a pun, but I kind of like it anyway. Now if only I knew what it meant...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, it's of course what you pay, combined with the idea of if you play merely as a hobby, or in a studio/home or such, those frets will likely work for years just fine no problem...but I would be worried using it in varying humidities and temps and rigors of the road and playing hours almost daily etc...so you get what you play for; if you play for a touring band, you get the best possible, maybe even SS frets, or a guitar tech to keep 'em fine, but if you play for fun, you can just get a guitar that sounds good and plays fine no worries what torment it can take.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

....if you compare the frets on a MIA or MIM to these, you instantly see that not only the fret profiles are quite different, the metal is clearly quite a bit more brassy/yellowish and not nearly as shiny; obviously of much lesser quality metal.
    As a chemist, I can tell you that inferring the quality of metal just from its physical appearance is not a valid approach. Physical properties and appearance are distinctly different parameters. While the fret metal in the CV guitars may indeed be different than what is used in the MIM and MIA guitars, the difference in appearance could also just reflect differences in the finishing & polishing processes. Just sayin'....

I've read a lot of very positive comments about the CV series guitars posted by musicians that gig with them routinely. Makes me wonder if your experience is the exception rather than the rule. As I said above, I'm not hard on my guitars, but haven't run into any of these issues with any of my own CV's. Nor have I come across fret quality or neck stability being mentioned as chronic quality issues with these guitars in the forum reading I've done. In fact, to the contrary, I've read multiple comments about the Squier CV quality being perceived as superior to the MIM and lower-end MIA Fenders. I guess it all comes down to personal experience in the end....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I've read a lot of very positive comments about the CV series guitars posted by musicians that gig with them routinely. Makes me wonder if your experience is the exception rather than the rule. As I said above, I'm not hard on my guitars, but haven't run into any of these issues with any of my own CV's.
    I guess that means that for guys like you and me, Squier CVs are a good deal and we should just enjoy them as that. I do want to bring mine out to play with some other folks one of these days...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exactly Eric - I think they _are_ a good deal thru and thru, and I really dig mine too.

BUT I think it's only good to have an open mind about their (possible) shortcomings. I mean, they have only been sold for what, 3-4 years? Clearly not enough time to find out whether the woods and materials will stand the test of time.

For what they are, they are very good. But let's not forget we're talking about roughly $300 guitars here, and nobody seriously believes Fender/Squier didn't cut any corners making these vs. the more expensive models? I think fret materials are one, much like on Epiphones, which also do not have any Dunlops or such, but wear out much quicker. And still loads of people use 'em for years even in hard use despite that.

One thing I find these CV's to be is great examples how how woods and such matter very little, because these do sound really good, despite cheap pickups, the very liberal use of 'plastic' type lacquer, very thick body lacquers and body woods being either pine or basswood - that's a good 'in-yer-face' for tone fanatics raving about tone woods and thin finishes etc. cellulose lacquers being pivotal to the sound.

So let me remind you that I haven't yet run into real issues either, and it IS a great player and I like its sound, it's very responsive and lively (pine I guess does that to some extent, it's the traditional violin wood after all...Fender didn't use it because it's clearly more reverberant and feedback prone than ash)...all I'm saying is I think I may have found the spots that make the guitar fit into the lower price bracket.

I have no doubt it will work fine for years to come, but remember I use my guitars VERY roughly. My CV has been hacksawed to a new shape, it's spent weeks lying on the floor of our training facility, it's suffered temp changes from -25 to 100F and humidity changes from 15 to 99 etc...it's a hard life for a guitar. I don't even have a bag for it. I've had two guitars develop a twisted neck during my ownership in a very short time, probably much due to my hard use. I'm not saying I'm a professional guitar tech, but I have played and set up hundreds of guitars, and this for a year now, and I think I can with some conviction now say I have some doubts on how it will fare in the years to come as opposed to a MIA or MIM for instance.

These things often develop into almost religious issues, sometimes people just reject realities and substitute their own when they become real fans of something. Same with some Epiphones, no matter how easy it is to spot the differences (lacquers, laminates, frets, etc.) - AND those differences may really have NO impact on the guitar's actual playability, at least on short term and for hobbyists - it's weird how people simply may just dismiss the notions entirely. Rave about how great the woods on their Epiphone are and how it sounds like '58 Korina for real, and when pointed out that it's actually a photo-thick veneer over assorted bits of wood which isn't actually even Korina, they just bypass that entirely.

NOT saying it's a bad thing, and NOT saying these things actually even matter usually - hell I'd take an Epiphone over Gibson any day, I really dig my Prophecy for instance, it looks and plays better than most gibsons - BUT I'm the first to admit that it'll likely need a fret job much quicker than a gibby would, and whatever the woods are, they probably make very little difference because the lacquer is like 1/2" thick in places so it might as well be made of plastic entirely...and that the neck joint doesn't reach nearly as far into the body as on a gibby and the woods have way less grain than a gibby...yet I think the fret softness is the only thing I'm concerned with, really.

I would definitely still recommend a CV for anyone looking to buy a 300-400 dollar classic guitar; they do sound terrific and are very playable indeed.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt it will work fine for years to come, but remember I use my guitars VERY roughly. My CV has been hacksawed to a new shape, it's spent weeks lying on the floor of our training facility, it's suffered temp changes from -25 to 100F and humidity changes from 15 to 99 etc...it's a hard life for a guitar. I don't even have a bag for it. I've had two guitars develop a twisted neck during my ownership in a very short time, probably much due to my hard use. I'm not saying I'm a professional guitar tech, but I have played and set up hundreds of guitars, and this for a year now, and I think I can with some conviction now say I have some doubts on how it will fare in the years to come as opposed to a MIA or MIM for instance.
    Holy cow Deeaa, you are brutal to your guitars!

I'd think those temp and humidity changes would wreck nearly any wood instrument!

I'd think a graphite neck guitar would be best for those conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good quality instruments take it with stride. The Davette is getting nearly 30 years old and the neck is straight as a razor still, and original frets! Same with the Yamaha.

Also I never had any problems with my Gibson...although I hauled it accross the country hundreds of miles in an open car trailer under tarps in its case in -30 zero moisture winter conditions to gigs, and then played gigs in 100 degree heat under stage lights and the air thick with sweat and moisture...never any issues in 13 years. The mahogany neck did require adjustments biannually, but that was all.

I had a cheaper backup 'Fenix' copy guitar with me for a while too...nice guitar but after a year of use the neck was totally propeller twisted, could not take the variations in condition.

Basically all my guitars ever suffered from hard use are a few bruises and dings from lying on the floor...a few times I've dropped 'em...Davette once over 6 feet to concrete, but luckily in a soft case...and my Gibson once so I had to replace a fret that got knocked way too deep...but a few dings and scratches never bothered me. I even let my kids toy with them, the worst they can do is give 'em a few more scratches.

I've only managed to break two guitar necks in my career, both Gibsons (a Nighthawk and a '73 Custom LP) and neither my own axes :-)
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I've only managed to break two guitar necks in my career, both Gibsons (a Nighthawk and a '73 Custom LP) and neither my own axes :-)
    Since you're still walking around on this Earth, you must have understanding friends. Especially the guy who owned the '73 LP Custom....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! A couple of years ago, when I got my black/white Affinity Strat, Sean/Frankenfretter was kind enough to give me a 3-ply pearl pickguard, and it snazzed up the Strat quite nicely. Just minor mods for the 11-hole guard on the 8-hole Affinity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Since you're still walking around on this Earth, you must have understanding friends. Especially the guy who owned the '73 LP Custom....
    Heh, yeah...well they both had insurance...and funny enough, that '73 was repaired and so well you could not tell it was damaged in the first place. But luck would have it, some 15 years later, the owner's son knocked it over and again the insurance company to the rescue...only this time, they took the broken axe and gave him a brand new Custom,
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my CV '50s Strat, bought the week before last on eBay, with its new Warmoth pickguard. Ordered the p/g on Monday nite and got it Sat. afternoon--from the other side of the US. Not bad, esp. considering that they make them to order. The color pattern is called "blue shell"--prolly not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like how it looks with the LPB body color. Also installed a push-pull pot for the volume control and wired it to put the bridge pickup in series with either or both of the other two--my favorite Strat wiring mod.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's pretty hot looking. The swirls and that shade of blue work really well on that guitar. Very drool worthy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Normally, that pick guard would be nasty, but it works perfectly with that blue body.
    Excellent match!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Normally, that pick guard would be nasty, but it works perfectly with that blue body.
    Excellent match!
    I agree. I would never have picked it up at the store, but it looks good!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Very nice DVM. It really is a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    ...Very drool worthy.
    I can attest to that. I actually did drool a bit...

Post Thanks / Like

i really would not have thought it would look that awesome......good choice....
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast