Thread: Rotosounds

pes_laul Guest

Default Rotosounds

So I picked a pack of Rotosound Swing 66 bass strings.

Put 'em on my bass and never even doing it before I found a pretty legit way to put them on nice and cleanly.

So far I like the tone of them but I have yet to hear it through an amp.

Tomorrow after school I will post on how they sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I had them on my bass for a while. I just could never get into them for whatever reason. Mine didn't seem as bright as advertised. I might have gotten a bad set, but I wasn't going to pay the $$ to find out. I ended up getting DR Hi Beams and couldn't be happier with those. They've got a different core so they don't feel as stiff as the Rotos at the same gauge. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a bit extra tension.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I had them on my bass for a while. I just could never get into them for whatever reason. Mine didn't seem as bright as advertised. I might have gotten a bad set, but I wasn't going to pay the $$ to find out. I ended up getting DR Hi Beams and couldn't be happier with those. They've got a different core so they don't feel as stiff as the Rotos at the same gauge. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a bit extra tension.
    Yeah I know I like the tension on it right now, it responds to slapping pretty good without hitting the pickup.

I wonder what kind of strings came on my bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use roto's back in the early 80's becasue that was what Stanley Clarke used at the time. Then switch to GHS Boomers similar sound and feel for 20 bucks less.

Nowadays I have use Elixir they came on my Ibanez bass. I liked them a lot,
    http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_bass.html

I replaced them with DR's HI-BEAMS which was referred to me by Marcus Miller. (I am sure he will not even remember me asking him what strings he used back stage at the Playboy Jazz Festival 2 years ago.) I love these and will continue to use them as my main strings love the tone and feel of these strings.
    http://www.drstrings.com/main.html
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use rotos, for a Geddy Lee tone, but found that they lost their brightness quickly and felt a bit rough. I've since went to DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams and love the tone and feel.

Pricey, but well worth it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    I used to use rotos, for a Geddy Lee tone, but found that they lost their brightness quickly and felt a bit rough. I've since went to DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams and love the tone and feel.

Pricey, but well worth it for me.

When I bought my high beams they where out of those So next string change I was going to try those I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fat Beams

What guage are the fat beams? Or are they available in various gauges?

I heard lighter guage strings sound better on a bass, contrary to my earlier personal opinion, because they vibrate with more amplitude than the stiff rail road ties I have been accoustomed to. Supposedly you get a more full, musical tone with greater sustain.

I'm going to get a lighter guage next time and test them out.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    What guage are the fat beams? Or are they available in various gauges?

I heard lighter guage strings sound better on a bass, contrary to my earlier personal opinion, because they vibrate with more amplitude than the stiff rail road ties I have been accoustomed to. Supposedly you get a more full, musical tone with greater sustain.

I'm going to get a lighter guage next time and test them out.

http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/fat...gnature-series
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Bassist I know likes Nickle GHS boomers but is or has been looking at Dr's
    says Nickle is easier on the frets on a rather new Bass
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy
    After switching to Hi-Beams I was amazed at the difference in tension compared to the Rotosounds at the same gauge. It because of the different cores from what I understand. It made bends a lot easier without getting all floppy on me. I've never heard anyone say that about lighter bass strings but it seems like it would be worth an experiment anyway.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn