Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY tube overdrive pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default What it is for now.

Well I am done cutting up the ART for a tube overdrive for now. What I have is I cut the traces on the bottom side of the PCB to free up pins 6(plate) 7 (control grid) and 8(cathode). I have removed R51, C40and R61 from the PCB. I installed a 2k cathode resistor from pin 8 to pin 9 (heater ground) a 300k resistor from pin 6 to the junction of C10+ and R37 the plate supply and a 20k resistor from pin 7 to ground (grid resistor). I installed a KSP44 transistor with the base connected to pin 1 the plate of the first triode with a 10k emitter resistor and the collector tied to the +48 volt supply. A MSPA29 instead of the KSP44 might be a better choice you can use any NPN transistor that will allow 60 volts from emitter to collector. At the emitter of the KSP44 I have a 100nF coupling capacitor with 100k resistor in series to the control grid pin 7 of the second triode. The emitter is also connected to the low gain position of the normal/+20db switch on the PCB. I cut free one side of the normal/+20db switch to select either one triode in low gain or both in series for high gain. The wiper of the gain switch hooked to the triode outputs is connected through a 10k resistor to the base of Q4. The collector of Q4 is connected to the +48 volt supply where it comes into the PCB. The other contact on the gain switch is connected to the plate (pin 6) of the triode. On both triodes I have connected a 150pF cap to ground to reduce hiss (high frequencies) when the gain is near maximum. Cathode bypass cap C34 was changed to 220nF for brightness. I changed the stock China 12AX7 to a Sovetek, Groove Tube it sounded better over driven plus may have had feedback with the stock tube. If you wanted to add a brightness control you could increase the value of R64 at the input to the preamp and install a pot with a capacitor in series across the new resistor value.
    Here are pictures of the mods
    http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...nARTstudio.jpg
    http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...nARTstudio.jpg
    and schematic of the triode section
    http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/...strevision.jpg

From what I have measured you have approx 0.4 inches between the bottom of the PCB and the cover so room enough for the new components. To play it safe I have put plastic tape on the inside of the bottom of the cabinet. I may put RTV on some of the parts when I am all done.
    In the future I may try to change the compressor circuit it just kills the highs, maybe just replacing R77 with a capacitor of the right value will do the trick.

Will have to get some help to post a sound clip of the results in the future.

I would E-mail ART for a schematic to see what is what.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this while I was looking around on starved plate operation http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-Tube-Booster/
    I can’t be sure of how well it works but I would look for control grid current which will be a negative voltage at the control grid because that current will be flowing through your guitar pickups if you plug straight in.

Post Thanks / Like

Default On the 12FQ8

I still need to finish off the box I started with a 6GM8 that is an overdrive and tremolo but just not up for drilling holes today, so. I grabbed up a wall wart 9 VAC transformer from an old dial up modem and built up a voltage multiplier for 55 volts DC to check out one of the 12FQ8 tubes I got in the other day. I found a patent at Google by the Wurlitzer Company for tone generators that used these tubes and the tube has Wurlitzer on it. With the tone generator they could use one plate for the oscillator and take the signal at the other plate so it would not load the oscillator down. With a plate load of 500k, a 100k grid resistor and the cathode at ground I am getting a gain of approx 50 from the tube with both plates tied together. The grid current is 800na with one plate and drops to 600na with the two plates connected. The plate current is approx 60ua. The heater voltage is 10.2 volts AC. The maximum input signal before distortion is 500mv peak to peak, signal level at saturation is 1.2 volts peak to peak. The tube has a gradual slope going into cutoff, wish I had a 12AX7 waveform to compare it too I am sure the 12AX7 would look different more squared off. I need to connect up a jfet buffer on the input due to the 100k grid resistor and a emitter follower at the plate to not load it down to maintain the gain then see what the tube sounds like.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone out there tried the ART mod? I am going to post a sound clip of how it sounds soon I hope. I was going through buying the required parts caps, diodes and a transformer from Mouser for the power supply coming to approx 15 bucks without shipping. Still need a tube and tube socket figure 10 bucks, then switches pots a box, hard to beat the 30 bucks for the ART. Anyway be interested to hear if anyone has tried this out aside from me, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well do to the fact that people are looking at this post I have a question. I have made some small PCBs for adding the Belton Dig-reverb to a tube amplifier and also a small push pull amplifier http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15442 So even though I think the cheapest way to go is to modify the ART tube MP I could make a PCB for a tube overdrive.
    Would try to make the board 2.5 inches x 3.8 inches same as the other boards. Would have gain control, tone control, tube bias switch and output level control. There would be a boost switching supply to operate a 12AX7, 12AY7 or 12AZ7 tube with an approx 220 volt plate supply. Power would be a 12 volt probably AC or DC wall supply. A guess at the total parts cost would be approx 100 bucks.
    Anyway I have the small amp to finish off first let me know if there is any interest.
    For what it is worth the small tube amp is approx the same cost and can also be used for a tube overdrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sound clips of Art Tube MP mod for tube overdrive

Two sound clips of the Art Tube MP modified to be a tube overdrive. There are two clips one at low gain, the other at the high gain setting. Played through a modified Crate V5 with a Weber Signature AlNiCo 8 inch speaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Default free shipping at Music123

Right now Music123 has free shipping at 29 bucks so you can get the ART Tube MP for 30 bucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12