Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Mod pedal to mute?

Thread: Mod pedal to mute?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod pedal to mute?

Hello,

I have been using my acoustic quite a bit lately and I need a way to mute it and unplug when I am finished.
    I have looked at the new cables that have the switch built in the end of them but they are quite expensive.
    I have an old Boss pedal that has issues and I thought about converting it to a muting pedal.
    It would basically be in/out-on/off and some way to mute any noise.
    Is there a way to make it so it does not pop when I unplug it?

Thanks

M

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a pedal tuner? The Korg pitchblack for example. Added bonus - it helps you tune your guitar!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested in something like this too -- it would be both useful and financially responsible. Good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good idea Robert but I want something I can throw together this week with parts I have laying around here. Saving money for Tele parts right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a simple design:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4967135_make...pedal-led.html

If you don't need the LED on/off indicator, then it becomes almost absurdly simple--just wire a stomp switch to make/break the connection between the two jack tips. With no LED, you don't even need to use a stereo jack on the input side.

If it "pops" when operated, just solder a 1M resistor between the tip and sleeve of the input jack. Might also be a good idea to connect the bottom right lug of the switch as drawn to the output jack sleeve, so that the tip is grounded when off.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; June 9th, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats it Vood thats it. I was curious what size resistor to use for the pop. The rest is as basic as you can get for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

For no pop, and even simpler, get a cable with a shorting plug. They work. I'd recommend the Neutrik Silent Jack. Available in angled form too. Planet Waves do one but it's a fussy "switch on the connector" design.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience