Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
preferred cables?

Thread: preferred cables?

Post Thanks / Like

Default preferred cables?

i must've gone through about 7 cables this year so im lookin to buy a cable around maybe 20- 25 dollars thatll last me awhile, anyone got any personal suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the LiveWire ones at Guitar Center. Seem solid, seem quiet and in fact reduced noise I had before replacing some real cheapies with them, and seem to do the job. I think Plank Spanker has used them in his band setting and as I remember, likes them.

Here is an example:
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ble?sku=330470
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 6th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My current "go to" cable is a 25' Yorkville with a nice tweed-like cloth braid.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Audiopipe cloth
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I like the LiveWire ones at Guitar Center. Seem solid, seem quiet and in fact reduced noise I had before replacing some real cheapies with them, and seem to do the job.
    +1. I have a bunch of those LiveWire cables and have only had a single one go bad on me. Well worth the $$, esp. when GC/MF is running a deal on them....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Yorkville tweed cable is really good, and inexpensive.

http://www.apexelectronics.com/produ...cat=47&id=1281

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    +1. I have a bunch of those LiveWire cables and have only had a single one go bad on me. Well worth the $$, esp. when GC/MF is running a deal on them....
    Those seem pretty reasonably priced. Didja ever happen to check the capacitance on one of them?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have several LiveWires between effects boxes, and they seem pretty good.
    For longer and medium runs, I've been replacing my home made George L's (too dang stiff and loopie) with various quality levels of Monster cables. Yes, they are pricy, but really well made and I can't find anything wrong with them.

For data and AV cables (TV/DVR's), I use only Belkin cables. Best bang for the buck, IMO. I've had great success for decades with Belkin.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of Monsters I'd trade ya' for your George L's if they are the .225 size Tig.

I don't like Monster cables. These are the Monster Jazz cables, big and thick, but they are supple and handle well. I don't like them for the tone loss I hear at partial volume on the guitar pot. I had some Monster Rock cables and two times the tip just snapped off. So the second time it happened I was no longer living near where I bought them and called Monster. He said the shop local to my new home carried them and would replace the. I knew the shop and go there often. But, they didn't carry them and suggested in the meantime I try a George L.
    BIG difference to my ears. 999 out of 1000 times I just plug straight in to the amp and use my guitar controls. At anything less than full volume on the guitar pot, the Monsters sound like mud to me while the George L's seem to preserve some of the highs and sparkle. A Vovox is my #1 cable, but at $117 for a 10' length I haven't sprung for a backup yet ~ LOL
    When I run a tuner pedal I use the Vovox and a George L
    While I'm not crazy about the Monster Cables, they do have outstanding customer support. I called them back and told them none of the local shops had them and could I take him up on his previous order to send them back to Monster. They were at least 2 years old, maybe older. He cheerfully exchanged them for 2 new 21' Jazz cables

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My George L's are just the .155 size. Maybe the thicker one's don't get as coiled up and stiff? I still use a George L for extension speakers.

The Monster cables I'm using aren't the jazz, but the Performer 500 and Rock cables. Maybe I'll A/B them with my many other cables.

Funny that you mention the Monster's breaking... My audio/videophile brother had similar bad experiences with Monster cables breaking. I'm fairly gentle with my gear, but who knows what will happen?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I have made my choice about 2 years ago when a friend recommended KLOTZ calbes to me. Tried and liked it very much. Very thick and harmonic sounding, you can feel the difference.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought Mogami cables from http://www.lavacable.com and they are very good. However, they are not cheap.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    My George L's are just the .155 size. Maybe the thicker one's don't get as coiled up and stiff? I still use a George L for extension speakers.

The Monster cables I'm using aren't the jazz, but the Performer 500 and Rock cables. Maybe I'll A/B them with my many other cables.

Funny that you mention the Monster's breaking... My audio/videophile brother had similar bad experiences with Monster cables breaking. I'm fairly gentle with my gear, but who knows what will happen?
    On mine it was the 1/4" tip that would break off of the plug end, right down at the base. I'm pretty easy on gear too, I was shocked when it happened the first time and amazed when it happened to a 2nd one.
    I originally had the Monster Rocks. The guy at Monster was kind enough to exchange them for the Jazz. I had explained how the shop he recommended had suggested a George since they were out of Monster and the differences I heard. He thought the Jazz would sound better. Not ~

I'm not sure if a cable would mean a hill of beans to a guy playing through a pile of pedals, but if your rig consists of a guitar, a tuner pedal and an amp, it's likely you will notice a difference

Post Thanks / Like

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought some Ernie Ball cable because it has a lifetime warranty. Cables are like hard drives, it's not a matter of if, but when they break. So I say any cable with a lifetime warranty is a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those links. I will admit that I find it hard to buy into the idea of high-end cables, but it's good knowledge nonetheless. If nothing else, I now know that Whirlwind cables share my feelings...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I like the LiveWire ones at Guitar Center. Seem solid, seem quiet and in fact reduced noise I had before replacing some real cheapies with them, and seem to do the job. I think Plank Spanker has used them in his band setting and as I remember, likes them.
    I have some of these and they work pretty well, but I find them to have two kind of annoying tendencies: 1) really springy and coil-y (i.e. they don't like to lie flat), and 2) the darn connectors are always unscrewing. Do you have any workarounds for #2? Do you shrink-wrap the connectors or anything?

Personally, being all about design, durability, and handling (and price...kind of...), I think my favorite cables are self-soldered jobs with Canare GS-6 cable and Neutrik connectors, but they end up being more expensive than a lot of pre-packaged cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    2) the darn connectors are always unscrewing. Do you have any workarounds for #2? Do you shrink-wrap the connectors or anything?
    Blue LocTite 242. Dab some on the male threads and let completely dry, then screw back together. Red LocTite would be way too permanent, so avoid!