Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
DIY tube overdrive pedal

Thread: DIY tube overdrive pedal

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY tube overdrive pedal

heres a project for you DIY guys, i snagged this from a forum i was searching(i take no credit for this project),thought maybe you guys would like it. id sure like to know how to make one of these with 2 or 3 more tubes in it, if you have any ideas please share, thanks Allen

Post Thanks / Like

that looks way to easy haha. I don't doubt that it works, I just would have guessed something more complicated. I have no idea what i'm talking about though so don't mind me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    that looks way to easy haha. I don't doubt that it works, I just would have guessed something more complicated. I have no idea what i'm talking about though so don't mind me.
    Apparently the guy builds these often, But im like you,i havent a clue with these things. Maybe one of the fellows here with better knowledge will provide some insite.Id love to see one of these things with 2 or 3 tubes in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWolf1171
    Apparently the guy builds these often, But im like you,i havent a clue with these things. Maybe one of the fellows here with better knowledge will provide some insite.Id love to see one of these things with 2 or 3 tubes in them.
    That circuit is similar in concept to the BK Butler/Tubeworks Tube Driver. Since there is only a 9v supply, the tubes operate in "starved plate" mode. Preamp tubes normally operate on 100v-300v. It's similar to using a Variac on a tube amp. When there is only 9v on the anode the tube operates way outside its linear amplification range and is easy to push into distortion.

There are several overdrives similar to this one, like the Dean Markley Overlord.

If you want to roll your own BK Butler Tube Driver, there are a few threads on freestompboxes.org. PCBs, graphics, the whole enchilada.
    Last edited by tunghaichuan; February 26th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If I ever get ahead of my other projects, I gotta try one of these....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    If I ever get ahead of my other projects, I gotta try one of these....
    what made it interesting to me (other then it doesnt look to hard to build), is i use a solid state xxl peavey amp, and it allows you to put something in the preamp (pedals etc).while the amp is a real good SS amp, it has no real "tube sound", so one day i took my ibanez tube king pedal (has a 12ax7 tube) and plugged it in the preamp and maaaannnn was i suprised at how it sounded, like a totally different amp. So anyway i was wondering if there was a way to make this pedal with 2 or 3 or more tubes in it, as i could run it in the preamp, but ive never attempted making a pedal before.any idea?