Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Agile AL-3100M B-Stock Guitar - NOW WITH PICS!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agile AL-3100M B-Stock Guitar - NOW WITH PICS!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile AL-3100M B-Stock Guitar - NOW WITH PICS!

Here's my preliminary review of my new Agile AL-3100M Plain Maple Top B-Stock guitar:

The overall appearance of the guitar is quite nice. The higher level of quality in this model over lesser models is apparent. The finish is obviously thinner, but with a nice uniform gloss. The binding is well executed and attractive. The fretwork, nut, fit, finish, and general construction is superior. The total weight is 9.7 lbs which is in the normal range for an LP with a thick maple top (the maple top being denser and heavier, adds weight). It's definitely an aesthetically appealing guitar. The case that the guitar came with, and in, is a very well made case. In addition to the soft, thick pile padding inside, there is also an attached satin sheet that is form fit to the case interior that covers the top of the guitar when the case is closed. No flimsy, bargain case here.

After removing the foam packing sleve in which the guitar was wrapped, the first thing I looked at was the plain maple top. Many of the 3000M/3100M plain tops I've seen have had nicely book matched pieces of maple; or at least the grain patterns were matched in a way where the pattern flowed together at the center joint. On this guitar, the two pieces of maple are noticably different and don't match up very well at the center line. It's not so bad that it makes the guitar look weird or poorly made, and the wood tones (coloration) do match. I've seen much more expensive Gibson LP's that have much the same look. It's something I can live with.

The next think I checked was the bridge and tail piece. The ad copy says that they are Tonepros TPFP-N and CT-1 N respectively. I have been under the impression that the whole point of Tonepros bridges and tail pieces is that they can be locked in place via allen set screw that tightens the bridge and tail piece against the posts in the body of the guitar. There are no set screws visible and there is no indication of a brand name anywhere on any of the pieces of hardware. Does anyone have any direct knowlege of this bridge/tail piece who can add anything more?

I then turned my attention to the reported flaws that make this a B-stock guitar. The ad said that there is a 1/2" crack in the fret board just above the 22nd fret. In actuality, there is only about a 1/4" dent in the fret board, no crack at all. And, the dent is so shallow that whoever it was who discovered it must have done so by using a magnifying glass. I would say that I only found it because I was informed that it was there. Otherwise, I might have missed it. The other reported flaw was a red stain on the body binding near the input jack. There is in fact a small, barely noticable red stain on the top side of the body binding. Again, only a close inspection would reveal it.

So, as far as the "defects" go, they are more than acceptable. In fact, on many guitars I've seen they wouldn't even warrant a B-stock labeling.

Next, I pulled the neck pickup to check on the thickness of the maple body cap. It is 3/4" thick as advertised, so that was checked off.

After the visual inspection was done, I tuned the guitar and tried it out acoustically. The tone is warm and resonant, but with the characteristic snappiness or added brightness that a thick maple cap adds. The frets appear to be well set and finished with only one very slight area of concern. On the G string between the 5th-7th frets, there is a very slight fret buzz. It is so slight that the strings can be manipulated through finger pressure so as to eliminate it. A very minor issue, and one that may simply be polished away or require only the slightest of leveling on the frets in question. As it's a new guitar, I wouldn't even think of doing anything beyond polishing the frets until the guitar settles in.

Finally, it was time to try it out through an amp. I chose my Ceriatone OTS as it has the best, most high fidelity tone of any of my amps. The first thing I noticed here is that the guitar has modern LP wiring, not vintage 50's type wiring. That will have to be rectified. I like independent volume and tone controls in the middle pickup position, and IMHO the tone of the guitar is just better when wired to the vintage 50's spec. It's interesting to note that my AD-3000M has the 50's wiring, and that guitar was purchased within the last 6-8 months. The pickups in this particular guitar are USA made Seymour Duncan's - an SH-1 Vintage '59 model in the neck, and an SH-3 Stag Mag in the bridge. Most people who know Duncan pickups are familiar with the Vintage '59 (one of Duncan's PAF clones), so I won't go into detail about that except to say that it is a little bassy/boomy in this guitar. Could be the wiring scheme, the cap, an under spec pot...can't tell at this point. The bridge pickup is another story altogether. The SH-3 Stag Mag is actually two single coil pickups with individual, staggered, Alnico II pole pieces, that are side by side in std. humbucker fashion. In dual coil humbucking mode the pickup has a resistance of 16.2k and is fully splitable for single coil operation. If the coils are wound evenly (which I'm not certain they are), then the single coil would read right at 8.1k. Certainly in the hot range for a single coil. Interestingly, this pickup is not wired for coil splitting in this guitar...which makes one wonder why Agile chose it in the first place. In humbucker mode, this pickup is clear, bright, and loud. It does not respond like any humbucker of standard construction that I've ever used. This is definitely a specialty pickup. As I played it, I couldn't help but think that it would probably do very well in the bridge position of a Tele with dual humbuckers. There it could sound like a great single coil pickup when split, a super single coil with both coils, and still have some standard humbucker tone to boot...and all noiseless.

I will be re-wiring this guitar very soon and at that time I will evaluate the electronic components. Since I bought this guitar to be as close to an actual (and much more expensive) Gibson LP as I could get, I'll probably replace any components that fall short of the proper LP specs, i.e., Switchcraft toggle switch/input jack, CTS pots, PIO caps. And since I have a set of Guitarforce Lord of the Blues Alnico IV custom wound PAF pickups that are made to go in an LP type guitar with a thick maple cap, that's what I'll be putting in.

My first Agile purchase from Rondo music was an LP-2800-DLX CSB back in 2004/2005. At that time I was pretty impressed with what the Korean factory that makes Agiles was doing...especially for the $289.95 I paid for that guitar. Over the last several years, Agile quality has improved even more. I have an AD-2500 P-90 that is better quality than that original 2800...and this is for what is in the Agile pecking order, a "lesser" model. The AD-3000M Prestige I last purchased has reinforced that perception of quality with this 3100M being the pinacle. Newer versions of Agiles due out this spring are supposed to raise the bar even higher (and the $$$ as well, I'm sure).

New gear purchases always come with the standard "new gear glow". Often times that elation over a new piece of gear turns into complacency once the bloom is off the rose. This Agile AL-3100M should endure the test of time as a solid, true to spec, LP type guitar. And, for several hundred (or even thousands?) less than the "real deal" it deserves a "best buy" award. I think it's a keeper....

That's my bass player Bloozduck looking on in the background...
    Last edited by Bloozcat; March 1st, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write-up, BC. Will look forward to reading more about this guitar when you've had it awhile.

EDIT: Now that the pics are up--SUH-WEET LOOKIN' AXE, BC!!! I want me one of those in black, with gold hardware!
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; February 28th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Excellent write-up, BC. Will look forward to reading more about this guitar when you've had it awhile. But, of course (and you knew this was coming)....

So try to stay sober tonight, okay?
    Stay sober...?
    What makes you think I'm sober now...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is irrelevant until we have pictures.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile

I have an AL2000 that is great and can imagine how your new one will turn out.

My new Epiphone Tribute LP has a solid maple cap but, to my surprise, the maple cap is one solid piece with no joint. It is antique cherry sunburst.

It has a beautiful maple grain like the one in the picture of yours on the Rondo site, except the maple grain is of a clear, knot free, appearance; unlike the top on the Rondo site picture of your guitar that has a knot in the grain on the one side.

I actually like the looks that the knot brings to the top with the deeper colors and more complicated grain pattern. Is yours a clear maple cap or is the grain knotted, etc?

My Epi has Gibson USA '57 and '57 plus pickups and sounds really great; clear and very full. It also has coil splitting for individual pickups. Additionally it has grover locking tuners and switchcraft switch and plug and upgraded electronics, came with Epiphone straplocks. It also came in a very nice Epiphone case.

It was a bit expensive but is a great guitar, meant to commemorate Epiphones historical relationship with Les Paul. They could have taken one of several routes making the guitar: they could have made a great one, like they did, or they could have made one of many Epi LP designs merely to mass market them and take advantage of the Les Paul historical relationship.

Anyway, yours is a great looking guitar. I will also post some pictures in my review of mine, but I need to take them first, ha ha.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Another observation I didn't mention:

This is a "wide" neck model, meaning it's advertised as 1-3/4" at the nut. According to my caliper, it's 1-23/32". That puts it at 1/32" smaller than 1-3/4", and 1/32" larger than 1-11/16". Splitting hairs, I know, but I'm using it to say that this neck feels like a Gibson 1-11/16" neck. It just feels right as an LP type guitar should. In fact, the whole neck just feels right, which is so important in how we bond with a guitar. I've played some expensive guitars that I would have expected to feel perfect, but they don't...and some inexpensive one that do feel right. So, that's another plus for this guitar.

I wouldn't have thought it so, but this guitar feels quite a bit different from my Agile LP-2800-DLX and my AD-2500 P-90, both of which have maple necks and 1-5/8" nut widths. It's good to see a guitar line that gets progressively better with time. Especially one that offers so much for such a reasonable price.

Now, if only my wife could only find something to do away from the house, I'd be able to crank her up a bit...

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable Blooz that baby is sweet!!! Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful, Blooz... Congrats!

It's really cool that Kurt puts up these B stocks. He doesn't have to end up eating a big loss, and players get a good deal!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat

The next think I checked was the bridge and tail piece. The ad copy says that they are Tonepros TPFP-N and CT-1 N respectively. I have been under the impression that the whole point of Tonepros bridges and tail pieces is that they can be locked in place via allen set screw that tightens the bridge and tail piece against the posts in the body of the guitar. There are no set screws visible and there is no indication of a brand name anywhere on any of the pieces of hardware. Does anyone have any direct knowlege of this bridge/tail piece who can add anything more?
    Well I kinda do yeah. Both my Matons have TonePro bridge and tails and they DO have set screws because as you say, that's their point of difference.

There are two on the tail piece on the outside edges of the cutout for the posts. Obviously to lock the tail into position on the posts.

There are two also on the bridge, again to lock the bridge to the posts, and these are on the PU side of the bridge.

Both sets are clearly visible.

Also, just because I happen to have a spare tail in my bits bag I had a look, and whilst the outside bears no logo, there is a "TonePros by GOTOH" label pressed into the bottom. You'd have to remove it to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tonepros

I believe they are called, "Locking Tone-Pro" bridges. I have one or two on some guitars, my Epi LP Plus top and I think my MK. Regular "Tone-Pros" that I have are not locking.

Although, according to the Gibson tech guy my new Epip LP Tribute has locking tonepros. But there are no allen screws. So I called and he said they have a new design locking tonepro that uses a spring mechanism inside the bridge and tailpiece.

Would the gibon guy lie to me????? They have had participated in some unethical practices lately: like the nondisclosure of weight relieving and chambering until some dudes saw xrays of their "solid body" LPs and were supposedly shocked by what they saw. Only then, years after the production method had been implemented, did gibson disclose the practice. Possibly a trade secret. They now include the chambering description in the chambered guitars, which is almost all gibsons except for custom shop models.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a beatiful looking guitar Bloozcat... and Bloozduck looks pretty darned impressed as well, and we all know that's not an easy thing to do!

Congrats
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    I believe they are called, "Locking Tone-Pro" bridges. I have one or two on some guitars, my Epi LP Plus top and I think my MK. Regular "Tone-Pros" that I have are not locking.

Although, according to the Gibson tech guy my new Epip LP Tribute has locking tonepros. But there are no allen screws. So I called and he said they have a new design locking tonepro that uses a spring mechanism inside the bridge and tailpiece.

Would the gibon guy lie to me????? They have had participated in some unethical practices lately: like the nondisclosure of weight relieving and chambering until some dudes saw xrays of their "solid body" LPs and were supposedly shocked by what they saw. Only then, years after the production method had been implemented, did gibson disclose the practice. Possibly a trade secret. They now include the chambering description in the chambered guitars, which is almost all gibsons except for custom shop models.
    H'mm I dunno... I had another look over the TonePros website and from what I can see, all their models have locking screws. Without the locking screws it's just a probably a regular Gotoh set or a copy of one.

The new Epi tribute doesn't use a TonePro's bridge and tail. It uses a "LockTone" set that, as you say, has some kind of spring retention mechanism.

I have no idea if there's any difference tonally between the TonePros and the LockTone, but they are different products.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tonepros

My mistake. Thought they were locking tone pros on the Tribute.

This explains, as the gibson guy stated, why there are no allen lock screws. Thanks for correcting me on that nomenclature mistake.

Pretty sure they had non locking tone pro bridges and stop tails before they came out with the allen screw versions a year or so ago. Could be wrong on this. Seems like the tone pros have been around for a while and would fall apart if you took off all the strings.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very very nice looking! Good review Blooz!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That sure makes a plain-top look nice. Nice write-up and everything, and congrats on a very nice axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, man. Only tip I can offer is, don't plug it in while you're in the pool.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's shiny. Nice looking axe.

Hey look guys - his water isn't frozen.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful Agile, Blooz.
    If work keeps up at the pace it is now (60+ hrs./wk) I'm looking into another one. Best value for the money I've found. The attention to detail is great IMO.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast