Thread: Do those finger exerciser's really work?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Do those finger exerciser's really work?

I've been playing for a while, but I'd wish my fingers were stronger so I could press down on the strings easier. Just want to know if there's any reviews on those finger exercisers. thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a couple of old racquetballs.. the blue rubber things.. they do as good a job and cost an eighth as much. :-)
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitar playing is not really about getting the grip o' death. I had one of those after my hand injury and it was very beneficial for that. I question its benefit for a guitarist. You'd be better off building strength via playing.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you use the exerciser to develop finger independence, I think it could be useful, but the more I play, the more I realize it's not about strength at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Useful, yes, essential, no.

They're mainly good for preventing hand fatigue IMO, and that's even iffy...

As with marnold's experience, I found one to be good after a hand injury.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    If you use the exerciser to develop finger independence, I think it could be useful, but the more I play, the more I realize it's not about strength at all.
    I agree it's about finger independence,Check out finger fitness vids on youtube.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    Get a couple of old racquetballs.. the blue rubber things.. they do as good a job and cost an eighth as much. :-)
    I've used these, old tennis balls and odd foam stress balls. My favorites the past few years have been a couple of stress ball brains; perfect density and shape for fiddling it between fingertips or gripping with all the tips (like a baseball knuckleball pitcher's grip)

Finger independence, true. One of the means to that end, and to nimble control of 'touch', is good finger muscle tone. It's not about developing brute strength. Squeezing too tight has a negative effect on tone and finger quickness. But strong, long finger muscles -- akin to a swimmer's or to a juice-free baseball pitcher's arm -- in both hands, make for better control and precision of movement. They allow you to relax, to minimize effort. And ironically, you find yourself playing with a lighter touch as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    I've used these, old tennis balls and odd foam stress balls. My favorites the past few years have been a couple of stress ball brains; perfect density and shape for fiddling it between fingertips or gripping with all the tips (like a baseball knuckleball pitcher's grip)

Finger independence, true. One of the means to that end, and to nimble control of 'touch', is good finger muscle tone. It's not about developing brute strength. Squeezing too tight has a negative effect on tone and finger quickness. But strong, long finger muscles -- akin to a swimmer's or to a juice-free baseball pitcher's arm -- in both hands, make for better control and precision of movement. They allow you to relax, to minimize effort. And ironically, you find yourself playing with a lighter touch as a result.
    What I was going to say.

You build your finger strength to have control meaning lighter touch. As I found out, the calluses is gone because of that.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy into those finger exercisers - they're snake oil. You don't need a lot of strength with your fingers. You need touch and stamina...............and the best way to get that is to play your guitar regularly.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Plank Spanker on this. I think that the best way to develop the right hand strength and dexterity is to simply play your guitar more. One way to do that is to invest in a practice guitar that you can take with you and play more often. I bought one of these "Traveler Speedster" guitars that I can take along on business trips, and play through headphones. These are great for keeping your hands in shape when you're away from home for an extended period. Since you can play these through the headphones, you can practice all you want in a hotel room and never bother anyone.

Another area that people seem to overlook is doing hand and forearm stretching exercises to keep your tendons and circulation in good shape. I had a struggle with tendonitis for a while and this really helped to get me back in shape.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

There you go jpfeifer I dealt with that tendonitis and stretching helps alot and that's exercise too.Before I play I do a hand warmup (keeding hands together like when it's cold)stretch both fingers and forearms only takes a couple min's,makes this old fart feel much more comfortable while playing.Makes the old vibrato smoother also.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I posted something last year about where I noticed my playing improved and my fatigue lessened after I had been lifting weights for a couple of months. Naturally my grip got stronger from lifting and I was playing quite a bit as well so as my overall hand strength improved so did my playing. I remember this because I lift weights during the winter and then cycle during the rest of the year. Mountain biking helps with hand strength more than road biking for what it's worth.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a pretty strong grip anyways... my "finger exercise" = acoustic guitar.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I remember this because I lift weights during the winter and then cycle during the rest of the year. Mountain biking helps with hand strength more than road biking for what it's worth.
    Also, road cycling alone doesn't provide any weight bearing/impact type of exercise, which keeps your bone density strong. Throw in a bunch of sweating, which leaches calcium from your bones, and look out!
    (2 decades of that caused my premature osteoporosis, which I discovered all too late, but developed all too early)

MTB provides all kinds of upper body arm and hand exercise, as well as good impact/weight bearing loads. I season of that gives you Pop-Eye forearms!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Pop-Eye forearms![/QUOTE]

Where's me Spinach Where's me Spinach! Ug Ugg guh gah! Now where's that wench Olive. Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

George Lynch was big into bodybuilding for a few years there. He got to the point where he said it actually impeded his guitar playing. He's more normal-sized now.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Id say its really not about finger strength,unless you have overly weak hands.it doesnt take but a lite touch to push a string down.ive been powerlifting for the better part of 23 years and it had totally worked against playing guitar. i have average length fingers but the years of lifting have made my hands thick enough that xxl gloves are required for them (i have to cut 3/4 inch off the ends of the fingers).its made gripping the neck harder from thumb joint thickness, to having to really arch my hand over the strings from upper palm and finger thickness. And yet my forearm will still get sore if i play for a few hours. In my opinion,just playing the guitar is the best excerise there is.

Post Thanks / Like

Finger strength really isn't an issue with guitars.....unless you're trying to fret a dobro.

Stamina is the issue. Can you fly around the fretboard at will for several hours without feeling fatigued? The only way to build that up is to play to that level regularly. If I slacked off for a week or two and then played a gig, I could feel it - I could still move, but my hand was feeling tired by the end of the gig. When I stay in good playing shape, my hand is as fresh at the end of the night as it was when I started.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.