Thread: How to repair a chip on the backside of a neck?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to repair a chip on the backside of a neck?

I'm missing a piece of shellac from a neck about the size of a dime at the 3rd fret.

Is there an easy way to repair this to match the smoothness of the rest of the neck? I've tried using various types of waxes but nothing has worked. I don't care if it looks ugly - I just want it to be consistent with the rest of the neck if possible.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Try using minwax polyurethane , available in a non tinted small tin , apply with the freyed end of a paper match , use very light coats to the problem spot and use a blow dryer to heat the poly so that it levels itsself in the spot , allow it to dry and apply another coat and blow dry again , repeat the process until you have filled in the chip ... 6S9L
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6STRINGS 9LIVES
    Try using minwax polyurethane , available in a non tinted small tin , apply with the freyed end of a paper match , use very light coats to the problem spot and use a blow dryer to heat the poly so that it levels itsself in the spot , allow it to dry and apply another coat and blow dry again , repeat the process until you have filled in the chip ... 6S9L
    Thanks for the tip!

Once I get it level, how would I smooth it out to match the rest of the neck? (Sorry to ask but I wrecked a cheap-o guitar neck trying this myself once before a couple of years ago).
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Theres A Couple Of Ways , First Though Apply Only A Little At A Time So That Your Last Coat Is Only Slightly Raised Above The Surrounding Area On The Neck , By Slightly I Mean Hardly At All , By Hardly At All I Mean A Hair ... Then Use A Rubbing Compound On A Q-tip To Buff The Area And A Small Bit Of The Surrounding Area , Once Buffed Rub The Entire Neck Area With A Good Automotive Polish On A Terry Cloth Towell , Patience Is The Key Here Trem .....how Big And Deep Is The Chip?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Trem, Don't forget to make sure all wax or polish is off the surface before you start work on her.

Take care

M29

Post Thanks / Like

6S9L, yOUR mESSagE wAs a BIt dIFFICUlt tO ReAd
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6STRINGS 9LIVES
    Theres A Couple Of Ways , First Though Apply Only A Little At A Time So That Your Last Coat Is Only Slightly Raised Above The Surrounding Area On The Neck , By Slightly I Mean Hardly At All , By Hardly At All I Mean A Hair ... Then Use A Rubbing Compound On A Q-tip To Buff The Area And A Small Bit Of The Surrounding Area , Once Buffed Rub The Entire Neck Area With A Good Automotive Polish On A Terry Cloth Towell , Patience Is The Key Here Trem .....how Big And Deep Is The Chip?
    The chip is right down to the bare wood.

I bought this guitar neck off of eBay and the idiot who shipped it to me had shipping tape holding a whammy bar on the back of it. When I took the tape off, a chunk of shellac came off with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    The chip is right down to the bare wood.

I bought this guitar neck off of eBay and the idiot who shipped it to me had shipping tape holding a whammy bar on the back of it. When I took the tape off, a chunk of shellac came off with it.

This is why I don't buy guitars on Ebay.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but a '94 MIM Squier Strat complete for $120 isn't bad either. A few dings and chips, but that's OK.

Post Thanks / Like

repair it with nail polish and sell it for 200

Have you considered a replacement neck? Allparts perhaps?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    Yeah, but a '94 MIM Squier Strat complete for $120 isn't bad either. A few dings and chips, but that's OK.

In that case then you've got a good point. The more relic'd the better! Now if it was a purdy Gibson then my comment stands.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Reliced is cool but having a glitch on the back of the neck just bugs the crap outta me.

I'm all for trying to smooth it out with nail polish or the like. Then do a light spot sanding to make it blend. Use 2000 or 2500 grit wet/dry sand paper and go lightly till it's smooth. Then use 6S9L's method of pastes to finish with.

Me? I just like them smooth. I use steel wool on the backs of some of mine and take some of the shiny finish down so that it all feels smooth and well played in.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd never thing of replacing this neck... it's a birdseye neck and is super sharp with 0% fret wear. I've installed Gotoh vintage locking tuners and looks and plays great (besides the blemish). It is a little banged up, but I don't mind a pre-reliced guitar when it is of this high level of quality for such little money.

I'll try fixing it this weekend and report my success or failure. (hopefully its a success!)