Thread: Heavy Metal Squier '51?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heavy Metal Squier '51?

I'm intrigued with turning my squier '51 from a blues blaster to a metal machine.

Any body got any ideas, i wanta keep the money low so i'm thinking GFS... can a TELE bridge pickup fit in the lead without having to modify the pickguard. Just bouncing idea... bounce some back

I think the basswood body will make a good all around metal guitar when applied with the proper electronics.

Maybe a quad rails in the bridge position... 2 stacked single coils epoxy together maybe.
    Last edited by Bigbear; November 21st, 2005 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a '51, but I don't think you can go wrong with an Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge position for metal playing, IMHO. I have one in the Ibanez, and the pickup just screams... Downside? It ain't all that great for any kind of clean playing, but that's what a pickup selector switch is for! Also, without a noise gate, feedback WILL get crazy at higher volumes (when not playing), but I kinda like having all those harmonics and overtones to control...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Default yea Invaders are sweet

Invaders are super sweet but sometimes a mix of unique style and cheaper electronics can make a very special tone... alas the '51

Post Thanks / Like

All you would need is a good distortion pedal... I get great metal tones out of mine easily with my "DOD Death Metal" pedal. I don't play "death" metal, but like to do some Maiden and Megadeth tunes in my band.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix