Quote Originally Posted by Duff
I have always wanted to get a Valvetronics, esp. since I got my Vox DA5, but I am convinced that Valvetronics amps are unreliable, extremely complicated in their circuits, can be very expensive to get fixed, and are often unfixable.
What "convinced" you of that?

I can't comment on reliability other than the fact that I really haven't had any problems at all with my AD30VT. Realize that very few if any low-end amphs are "fixable" inasmuch as companies will just refuse to fix them. When I got my AD30VT, the store I got it from in Green Bay was an authorized Vox repair shop. Vox would pay to repair them. I don't know if that's still the case or not, but if it is, it is extraordinarily rare. Most companies--including Fender, Crate, and Ampeg--have gone to replace-only policies with their low-end amphs. Thus when the line is gone, so is any chance of doing anything with it if anything goes wrong.

The main two problems with the AD line could be fixed by either a reset or spritzing some contact cleaner on a cord plug and pushing it in and out of the line out a couple of times. I've heard good things about the VTX series but have no personal experience with them.