Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
18 watt build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 watt build

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 18 watt build

I got started on my GDS 18 watt single channel amph. I recently had a chance to hear fellow Fret.Netter guitardan777's 18 watt single channel and I knew I had to get one. I had built an 18 watt GDS tremolo head a couple years ago and ended up selling it. I have missed it ever since, here are some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a heck of a project..

Any time lines in mind?

Ever do one like it?

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Graydon makes good stuff. In fact he was one of the first to rediscover the 18W amps and was offering kits back before they became common place.

Post Thanks / Like

333max,
    I have a good start I will probably back off a little now and pick at it. I am in no hurry and I want to get more done on my Tele project. If I get too much going I start loosing time to play and that is priority.
    I have built many amphs over the years, mostly audio stuff but this is my second 18 watt and both were GDS, I especially like their transformers.

tung,
    Yeah Graydon sure knows the 18 watt. I am fortunate to have met him, he only lives about 40 miles from here. If you have any questions about the build he is more than happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Graydon has always been more than gracious about sharing his knowledge as well in the true guild craftsman tradition.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 18 watt build

2400 posts wow!

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. I thought I heard that DVM had an 18 watt project going. Guess I was mistaken.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It is great to jam on your new amph but it is also great fun building it. Just knowing it is (In-House) and ready to start is a good feeling.
    Time will free up Vood and it will be great fun stripin wire, solderin and boltin parts on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd have a difficult time not calling a home assembled 18 watt amp,
    the "Barely Legal" model!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up using a pattern that is at the top of this pic. I have the aluminum panel in the mill and got started on the cutouts. The round holes in the center are starter holes to get the end-mill into so I can cut the shapes in the picture.

I haven't decided on what type of screen to put behind the cutouts but what ever it is it will be gold in color to go with the gold plexi panel on the amph.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, where did the 18 watt kits come from , I want

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tonz. This kit is from GDS. If you have an interest in an 18 watt, probably the best place to learn more about them is at 18watt.com. There are lots of demos on most of the brands on utub too.

Post Thanks / Like

That's ultra sweet my friend.....
    Nice work !!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you friend.

Post Thanks / Like

wowza !!!!

What color are ya going on the panel screws black?????
    Last edited by mrmudcat; May 12th, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mud. Not sure. I thought stainless to kind of hide them. I have three bronze colored screws that might look pretty good and kind of tie in with the wood color. One other thing I forgot was a handle. I noticed this when I tried to pick it up.....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, M! That is a very sharp-looking amp.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks gh!

Post Thanks / Like

When you say working on new Strat do you mean working and saving for one or working on building a new Strat? If you are working on one, I would like to hear more about it Tonz. I get to go back and work on my Tele project now. Yea ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast