Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
18 watt build
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18 watt build

Post Thanks / Like

Default 18 watt build

I got started on my GDS 18 watt single channel amph. I recently had a chance to hear fellow Fret.Netter guitardan777's 18 watt single channel and I knew I had to get one. I had built an 18 watt GDS tremolo head a couple years ago and ended up selling it. I have missed it ever since, here are some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a heck of a project..

Any time lines in mind?

Ever do one like it?

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Graydon makes good stuff. In fact he was one of the first to rediscover the 18W amps and was offering kits back before they became common place.

Post Thanks / Like

333max,
    I have a good start I will probably back off a little now and pick at it. I am in no hurry and I want to get more done on my Tele project. If I get too much going I start loosing time to play and that is priority.
    I have built many amphs over the years, mostly audio stuff but this is my second 18 watt and both were GDS, I especially like their transformers.

tung,
    Yeah Graydon sure knows the 18 watt. I am fortunate to have met him, he only lives about 40 miles from here. If you have any questions about the build he is more than happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Graydon has always been more than gracious about sharing his knowledge as well in the true guild craftsman tradition.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 18 watt build

2400 posts wow!

Post Thanks / Like

How time flies F4DPhantomII

Well I finished her up today and got a chance to play it a little. I am very pleased. It is fat, defined, goes into a sweet feedback with ease and is very touch sensitive. I like the simple, to the point design and it is very quiet. Everything is right at your fingertips.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Barry
    And I understand it sounds fantastic too.....
    Just volume and tone, but bad to the bone : )

M29 and I were putting mine through the paces out at Graydon's one afternoon, trying out different speakers, cabs, pedals, and guitars....
    I recall that Screaming Yellow Voodoo pedal that was just pushing that little monster over the top.......fun stuff....

Post Thanks / Like

You got it Danny, bad to the bone! Haven't got a chance to introduce the ZYS on mine yet but I have a feeling it will be happenin soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I had a good size of Marshall dark green style tolex setting around here that I forgot about. I decided to use it on the cab of this amph. I have the basic birch plywood panels cut with dimensions graciously provided by guitardan777. Thanks Danny!

Not sure what I am going to use for front and back panels. I would like to do something different. Also I am trying to decide if I want to go without cab corners or go with chrome or black. Decisions decisions decisions. I just want to get it done at this point. I have too many projects going right now and a daughter that will be having a graduation open house this spring. No money left for a pre-built cab on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Not sure what I am going to use for front and back panels. I would like to do something different.
    Inspiration by Hughes and Kettner...
    Show off those internals!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Tig, Yeah that is something like I was thinking. I thought about milling some thin gauge aluminum with cooling slots or some sort of pattern. Then I thought about incorporating some sort of small automotive grill-work pieces. Your mind can go wild with stuff to try. I am going to save the front grill for last and then have some fun with it.

They have some great looking nontraditional amphs now, like the Hughes and Kettner you mentioned, the new Vox Night Train. I like the looks of the new Mesa Transatlantic too.
    All this stuff is good for cooling too.

Cool stuff Tig!

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa!! Where the heck have I been looking that I missed this thread, M29?!? Between pedal builds and bangin' on that new Agile LP of mine, I obviously haven't been keeping up!

Looking great so far, M. Can hardly wait to see it in the green tolex cab. And don't embarass me by asking how my own 18W project is coming...

GuitarDan777: I can scratch that Zonkin' Yellow Screamer itch for ya, when you're ready to forget the rest and get the best!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vood!! Hey how is that 18 watt project coming......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Thanks Vood!! Hey how is that 18 watt project coming....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. I thought I heard that DVM had an 18 watt project going. Guess I was mistaken.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It is great to jam on your new amph but it is also great fun building it. Just knowing it is (In-House) and ready to start is a good feeling.
    Time will free up Vood and it will be great fun stripin wire, solderin and boltin parts on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd have a difficult time not calling a home assembled 18 watt amp,
    the "Barely Legal" model!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast